Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Tristran

Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

ITB: I had the chance to sniff some scents I had never tested at ECCC this year, and Tristran was one that absolutely had to come home with me. First, I'm a huge fan of mint notes since I remember the Body Shop selling the odd puzzle-type perfume bottles. Second, the resins are pure, deliciously heady, and a fantastic compliment to the woods and lemon peel. How could I resist?

Wet: Delightfully pure rosewood comes first out on my skin, followed briefly by lemon peel, then tonka gently twirls with alight sandalwood while mint lurks underneath, adding a delightful depth to the scent as a whole.

Dry: It fades pretty quickly, much faster than I had anticipated. What remains is a really soft light sandalwood, lemon peel, coriander cloud that is just as ephemeral as the series.

In the Imp:

Sandalwood with a touch of dry dust

On the Skin:

First off dry rich wood which is awesome. Eventually touches of herbaceous coriander, sandalwood and tonka emerge to give a gorgeous, slightly sweet woody scent. The mint is so far in the background it isn't really noticeable but does add a freshness.

The Drydown:

I have always wanted to blind purchase a bottle of this but never did. So glad I got this decant because this blend is outstanding and I will need multiple bottles. It is a young scent and has so much character. Masterfully blended. Love!

Wet: Sandalwood and stone dust. Neat! Quite masculine, which I guess makes a lot of sense.

Dry: This dries into one of the most fantastic man-smells ever! Actually it's pretty unisex, but I just keep thinking how awesome it would smell on a man. The sweet woods with the Tonka and the dust note are just wonderful. I really love it. I want to see how it ages, but I can actually seeing getting a bottle of this for myself, even though I don't usually wear what I consider masculine smells.

Hopelessly romanced by a tender protagonist. 

This scent is soft. Soft and delicate in ways I did not expect. If you told me there was patchouli in this, I would have never believed you. It holds a delicate tenseness that is profoundly masculine in the ways of wearing your emotions on your sleeve. I did not think I would be fond of this scent going in but after trying to a couple of times, I am made a believer. 

Lemon in any form is something I have stated away from out of fear it would smell like a cleaner on me. Yet here… I just want more. This blend just works. There is a light, savory-sweet, and pleasantly lingering quality to this fragrance. Nothing stands out as harsh or bold. Just consistently there and pleasant. Casual and endearing. 

I got this as a decant yet I find myself humoring the desire for a full bottle. It’s such a good daily go to scent I think. The throw alone keeps a respectful distance too as not to offend the sensibilities anyone near by with a lasting staying power.

On me, this smells very much like a masculine aftershave, refreshing and clean. I believe that's the mint and the wood combining together to create that effect, with a 'dryness' I associate with sandalwood. Actually, giving it some thought (and a good sniff) I might even say it's like a cousin of Irish Spring. A slightly more traveled cousin, but still certainly in the same family. That's not in and of itself a bad thing; I just know I'll need to be in a particular mood to wear this and not have that association come up immediately.

Edited by Kytha

My review is after testing a very aged decant from 2007.

This started off with a slightly musky cedar-y wood that made me think that the decant might be going off, but it quickly settled into a primarily rosewood scent with a touch of lemon to brighten it up that became more prominent with wear, yet never overtaking the rosewood. I wasn't able to pick up on any of the other notes.

I am glad I got to try this, but it's not something for which I could see myself reaching.