Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
quinkel

Different smells/colors, same perfume

Hi,

I ordered an Imp of High John and it smells divine! And seems to work as well :P

However all the oils in the other vials are christal clear while High John is a milky yellow and not transparant.

Is this normal? Well it smell good so I guess...

Any advice? Can it be the cold weather?

my oils are different colors - voodoo, velvet are darker colors - you can see one of em below (the pile of oils are JUST oils, so the streak of reddish brown you see ISNT some rather bathroom item), some of them are yellows, some are clear...

IM000045.sized.jpg

Most of the one's with dragon's blood rsin are deep red in colour, whereas Belladonna & Bewitched are very green in colour, saturnalia is deep amber coloured & Hakkotsu is almost purely clear- also I've found some oils thicker than others depending on the ingredients so what you found with the High John is probably normal :P

Thanksfor your re-assurance!

It was not the colour what was worring me but the fact it´s not clear but milky.

for example Dragon milk is red but bright and clear. High John is yellowmilk :P

Well, that makes it more special I guess... go for a 5ml bottle, it´s sooo special herby, soft, uncommon and it works good!!

Thanks for the recommendation...I didn't even have it on my list, but it is going on there now! I can't wait to get my next order!

Lisa in Austin

i have two 5ml bottles of snake oil, both purchased within a few months of each other, but they smell different, only slightly,but def. different, just wondering if anyone else noticed this? One is sweet, the other more spicy. but i love them both.

Edited by carolsag

Is that differently in the bottle or on you? If just in the bottle they smell different then maybe you have a bit of other perfume residue?

they smell different on me and in the bottle. i like them both but one is sweeter and the other is spicier. maybe cinn.? love them both though!

It is possible that one may have a few more drops of one ingredient than the other, or that the ingredients themselves are from different batches and thus have a slightly different scent.

I know with Lush products, batches can differ (eg, one batch of Celestial I had smelled nicer than another batch, or one batch of Skinny Dip tends to separate quicker than another) so I imagine BPAL is the same, since they're hand-blended and all.

This is weird, once again I was thinking about this yesterday!!!

Because everything handmade is alway different, it must aply to BPAL too. I had never hear someone mentioned it before, but I guess slowly but surely we are coming to 2th orders etc and we will remark this differences I guess.

Like with Lush Karma, it alway different (wine is also, ever from the same chateau, same year)

This makes it even more interesting, than the ever same smelling chemical scents :P

I noticed this phenomenon with the Harlot scent as well. The first imp I got smelled a bit like wilting roses with no cinnamon at all that I could detect. In the second imp, the roses smelled fresher, and there was definitely a cinnamon kick to it. At the time, I thought that it was perhaps because Harlot was one of the new scents, and Elizabeth mignt've still been perfecting the formula.

This reminds me a lot of the comments about bath bars and such too from LUSH. You'll even notice this in paint or fabric. Every batch comes out different. And each imp will have a different exact amount of everythin even.

I think its interesting when they are the same scent but... not.

This didn't happen with the second imp of snake oil i ordered for my boy though.

Have any of you experienced any inconsistencies or differences from imp to imp of your oils?

I got an imp of Hellcat awhile back from a repurchase and I love it, it's in my top five. I recently got a mixed lot of imps from ebay and Hellcat was one of them. Now this one is different from my orginal Hellcat. The color is lighter than the first one and the smell is totally different. The first one is bay rummy and the new one is very spicy/cinnamony rum.

Not a complaint, just curious.

My other duplicates (Bordellox3, Cathedralx2, Carnalx2 came from repurchases/ebay and from the lab) are all exactly the same.

The only one I have duplicates of is Zephyr, and they're identical to my nose. My guess is thry're from different batches in the lab? Because everything's handmade, I'm sure it can have minor changes from batch to batch .. or even have simply changed in the imp over time .. ?? Maybe?

Sometimes the oils have been stored in warmer/colder places. Especially imps, since they are not in cobalt bottles need to be kept in a cold and dark place. Plus once someone tries on the oil they can help but contaminate the rest of the bottle.

I've noticed it too, and maybe they were made in a different batch.

Re: Hellcat

I know there was a problem a while back about getting the rum scent - the man who distilled that particular rum oil died, and the lab couldn't find a suitable replacement rum-scented oil (which is why I think that Hellfire was discontinued).

If you got the rum-smelling one before December (I think), then the original rum scent was still available, but it's not anymore and they might be substituting other ingredients now for Hellcat.

Thank you Lady, that probably explains why all my other dupes are identical 'cept for Hellcat. Things happen, a shame though. The original Hellcat is gorgeous!

We have also reformulated Hellfire: A scent celebrating Sir Francis Dashwood's Order of the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, also known as the Hellfire Club. A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

Oh no! This is my favorite scent. It doesn't sound like it's going to smell anything like the original anymore now.

:P

Will there be one like Hellcat as it was?

-Leslie

Aw, hunny! Hellcat is staying the same. Its an old scent of ours [Hellfire] that's being redone. It's a very long story... but one of the components of the original Hellfire became impossible for us to acquire. I love the stories about the old Hellfire Club, so I was determined to rethink the way that I portrayed it in scent. Starting from scratch, so to speak. :P

Oh GoodGoodGood! I misread. See how attached I get to a scent when I like it? A loooooooong time ago I fell in love with "Versus" by Versace. I wore it for a few years, and then, it was discontinued. It took me years to find another perfume/scent that worked THAT well on me - and it ended up being Angel. If that goes, I'll be very upset.

Of all your creations I've tried, Hellcat, Old Morocco, Persephone and Gluttony have worked best for me.

Thank you so much for clearing that up, Beth! Can't WAIT till the new scents hit the site. I read through them, and drooled.

*Faerie Hugs and Kisses*

Leslie

Oh GoodGoodGood! I misread. See how attached I get to a scent when I like it? A loooooooong time ago I fell in love with "Versus" by Versace. I wore it for a few years, and then, it was discontinued. It took me years to find another perfume/scent that worked THAT well on me - and it ended up being Angel. If that goes, I'll be very upset.

Of all your creations I've tried, Hellcat, Old Morocco, Persephone and Gluttony have worked best for me.

Thank you so much for clearing that up, Beth! Can't WAIT till the new scents hit the site. I read through them, and drooled.

*Faerie Hugs and Kisses*

Leslie

Versus in the red glass bottle?

That's my sister's all time fave & not last year, the year before I found it online for her 21st- Strawberrynet.com have it (or did) but only in the 100ml.

Broke her heart when they discontinued it...til big sister came to the rescue! :P

She hasn't worn it for ages though- she's now a BPAL devotee & obsessed with Feu Follet

I was so excited to get my second order last week (bunches of new imps!) that I only got around to using the 5mLs that I ordered today....

I was a little surprised however, when my 5mL of Hecate smelled nothing like the imp I had gotten in my first order....after reading the blend over again I think the 5mL *is* Hecate (which I do like!), but the imp is totally different.

Has anyone had this happen before? I'm now a little panicked because the imp I have is absolutely divine, but I have no idea what it is or really how to describe it :P Do you think it'd be possible to send the secret scent back so the lab could figure it out? Agh I feel like such a dolt!!!!

I have two imps of Hellcat that look and smell completely different from each other. I have no idea why. And one is much nicer than the other. It's a mystery.

Definately a mystery- I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out-

The imp version is a similar color to Snake Oil, and I'd almost say a similar scent, but has less of a sugary vanilla to it and more of a smokey, musky feel. Unlike the 5mL version, it lacks the big butter-almondness....