Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Voleuse

Dark Delicacies

Black Phoenix's Dark Delicacies blend is the embodiment of sinister sensuality. It is a heady and darkly romantic blend of devil's trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli.

The patchouli is by far the most prominent note, followed by the coconut, which comes out more as it dries. It's the same coconut as I get from Brown Jenkins - soft and dry. Overall this is a soft, earthy scent, with a touch of sweetness. I don't get much floral, but I don't wear florals much so I might not be picking up on it. Dark Delicacies has good throw. I sort of like this and sort of don't. If you're in the same boat, try Brown Jenkins, which this reminds me of and I like. Edited by dzurlady

I decided to pick up a bottle of this with my last Dark delicacies order, and am so glad I did!

In the bottle: I get a very beautiful white floral. The orchid is the strongest note to me. It reminds me of Marae, which is a favorite of mine.

Wet on skin: Still a beautiful white floral, but I do get a dose of patchouli giving it a little more earthy feel. There is a note here that is similar to the Masque, which perhaps is the myrtle? It's very rich and sensual. Right up my alley.

Drydown: This fades kind of quickly into a soft white ghost. It reminds me of the ethereal look of movie-ghosts. Or something a dark fairy would wear. It's romantic in the traditional sense. I think it's beautiful, but wish it would hav lasted longer.

Overall: Beautiful and ethereal, but doesn't stick around as long as I would like. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to reapply. :P

eta: I think this would make a great summer/spring/warm weather scent.

Edited by BlackLace

This one is soft, dark smoky scent. I definitely get the patchouli and the coconut. I agree that the coconut is soft and dry. There is also a sweet floral overtone to it.

However, as it dries, it turns to coconut baby powder on me.

Sad.

The black orchid note really jumps to the forefront when wet. There is a fruitiness that appears soon after, and the tonka and resins add a smoky sweet depth. The patchouli comes out much later in wear for me, but there is an earthy vibe that it lends to the blend. The overall effect is dark and sweet. The coconut wasn't detectable on me.

I've had a partial decant of this kicking around in my imp box for the longest time, and I just now got around to testing it.

I get a lot of sweet coconut, but not like Obatala. This is way more ethereal and dark.

If this scent were a venue, coconut would be performing live with the resins and the tonka while the florals and fruit gums are waiting impatiently to get in. However, patchouli the bouncer keeps them from getting further than the door. Thanks patch. :D I love it.

I applied this today and at first, it smelled much like Snake Charmer Resurrected or aged Mme Moriarty, which must be because of the musk and patchouli.

Unfortunately, about 10 minutes in, it became nauseatingly heavy, floral, and sweet. I think it might be the orchid; I had the same problem with Mircalla, Countess Karnstein. Both became headachingly cloying.

Starts with a soft fruity amber. It's pretty, sensual, but I don't get the sinister. Maybe that's what makes it so sinister.

This one is quite heavy on the black orchid!! Mmmm! It smells quite similar to Black Orchid, but I think that I like that one better...

In the Vial: This must share some notes with Samhain (the smoky resin? the patchouli?) - it has a similar wet, sharp, woodsy smell. But it's sweet and creamy, too, thanks to the tonka and coconut.

Wet: The florals, fruit gums, and resin really start to emerge on my skin. After a few minutes, they've completely taken over. It's all soft, sweet, powdery florals with a resinous background. The coconut has fled the coop, and the patchouli is nowhere to be seen.

Dry: There's a bit of an Oriental spice feel to it now. And... it's watery, but not really aquatic, if that makes sense. Otherwise, still the same.

An Hour Later: A lot less sweet, but that's the only real change.

Overall: Wow, this is not what I was expecting this blend to be at all! I quite liked it in the imp, but it changed way too much on my skin. It's sort of a watered-down, softer version of Unveiled, which I absolutely love, but Dark Delicacies just isn't doing it for me.

Later: About three hours in, I can finally smell the patchouli.

I have no idea how old this decant is

Wet: Well...nothing is jumping out at me. I am getting a darker floral smell but that is about it at this stage.

Dry on my skin: More floral, a bit of a sweet coconut meat smell and some earthy resins I guess that's the patchouli. I’m not getting any tonka and that's making me sad. This blend does need a creamy thing to make it more me friendly.

It's okay. It's not anything I would want a big bottle of. It could have been so much more but sadly my decant left a lot to be desired. It was just underwhelming and not something I would wear,

I do need to restate that my decant could be a million years old for all I know. So maybe the aging process wasn't a friend to this little decant? We will never know.

Sadly to the swap pile this little imp must go.

I just realized what perfume this smells just like after it dries on my skin...

Versace - Crystal Noir

I do love it. I wish more of the smoky & incensey phase lingered (when first applied). It softens up a lot and the coconut & fruit peek through. But all of that nummy, dark & smoky incense disappears. Still really love it though! This is one of those scents I can wear to the office :)

Edited by ziggystardust13

Wet: incense and coconut husk and a dark floral. Nice at this stage. Dry: orchid..orchid...orchid. I can't stand this and I thought I would love it since it is similar to Brown Jenkin wet. I guess I amp orchid, so this is only for layering.