Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

Lime

First Impression

Wow. This is surprisingly syrupy smelling. It does smell like lime, but more like lime juice that's had powdered sugar added. Andra's right...it does kinda smell like life savers! :P

Wearing It

Okay, when I actually put it on it smells a lot more like a lime wedge that's just been squeezed. On my skin, it dries down to a very faint scent, and reminds me of how I'd smell if I'd squeezed a wedge of lime, and then left it on my skin for a while...But also with the faint lingering smell of the actual lime bush as well.

When I put on the single note in Lime, I immediately thought of Life Savers - then I read Andra's review, and I think she's exactly right!

With a little wear (about 45 seconds) this settles into fresh-squeezed lime juice that's headed into a mixed drink. Clear, sweet but not sugary, and with just enough oil from the zest to cause a zing, it's perfect and certainly not bitter. More like the bottle of Key Lime juice I have in the fridge than the plain stuff.

Final dry-down is more candy-like than I expected because of the first two impressions. It ends up being the pale lime hard candy from a bag, not the "POW!!" of the lime Lifesaver, and combining that with the notoriously fast fade of citrus oils makes this one hard to justify as a purchase.

In all fairness, this single note does exactly what citrus oils do - and you can see why it would cause exasperation for a perfumer. Great scent, fast morph, and fast dissipation ... a true citrus scent that lasts is impossible to find. Just because I wouldn't purchase this single note doesn't mean I don't love it. :P

Lime

Wet, this is definitely a lime-candy smell, but as it dries, some tartness appears, making it more like a true lime. Fades very quickly on me, though.

at first: a sharp lime with a tinge of sweetness.

on: lime life savers, definitely.

half an hour later: no longer sweet. more like real lime. almost bitter.

1.5 hours later: very faint. more of a lime rind scent than the pulp.

overall: i don't think i could wear this on its own, but i think it might be nice layered with the single note coconut or the star.

At first, Andra's description is dead-on: syrupy sweet lime Life Savers. After just a minute or two, this becomes a more bitter lime zest, and then quickly fades to nothing.

jj_j is exactly right - Lime is a beautiful and perfect citrus note that lasts for but a moment.

In bottle: Lime candy. Exactly like green lifesavers!

On me: Much more zesty and closer to the actual fruit. It's a fast fading note, available only for a few minutes after it has dried.

I love blends that have a hint of lime in them (Envy, Venom, etc) and was curious what it was like on its own. In Envy it is a sparkling cold citrus, and in Venom it adds a bit of “bite” … on its own, it undeniably smells like a bright green Lifesaver candy or a melted green lime popsicle. Becomes less candylike as it dries down and vanishes very quickly. This is lovely combined with other scents…if I had a whole bottle of this I would splash it on, on a hot day or after a shower most likely!

I so wish that I had a full bottle of this one. Lime is one of the only citrus scents that I really love, and this one is sweet and zesty. It actually reminds me of the limeade slushies that I always used to buy when I was little. I love those things. :P

Lime - I don't know how I can live without more of this! A kind soul gave me a bit of this as an extra in a package, and I'm absolutely in love with it. It's the brightest and crispest lime I've ever smelled. Upon dry-down, I distinctly smell the tartness of lime zest/rind, as well. Fabulous! For me, it's pure Mexico in a vial. It reminds me of lime margaritas, tequila with lime, and fresh lime squeezed into a Corona. It's so bright and fresh and sparkly and full of energy and sunshine. I can't get enough of it and will very much enjoy the little bit I've got.

LIME SINGLE NOTE

In Bottle: Super lime

On Skin: On my skin this smells like Gatorade gum. Not sure if they still make it, but I remember chewing it as a kid and it was the tartest, most delicious gum. This is sweet and sour at the same time. It seems like lime candy, not fresh lime zest, lime wedges or lime juice at all. Someone above compared it to a Lime Lifesaver and that is it exactly!!!!! I can even feel it in my mouth as I smell this. While it is quite a tasty smell, it’s not one I’d really wear but it could be fun for layering. It is more soft and mellow than bright and sharp like I was expecting… hmmm… It has a good throw and the wearlength is also average to long. A very nice single note!

Lime

In the imp: oh yeah, this smells like lime. More specifically, a lime fruit pastille. Sweet and fizzy and vivacious, this is a happy lime note.

Wet on skin: still pure sugared lime.

Dry: oddly, this smells a little bit like swimming pool when dry-but that’s no bad thing, as I like the smell of swimming pools (brings back happy memories). Apart from that slight hint of chlorine, it still smells like sugary lime. This isn’t a sour, sharp lime, but a sweet and effervescent citrus note, like lime flavoured sweets-the green ones are always the ones that get ignored, but I adore the scent of lime sweets that I get here.

After a while: the scent starts to fade, the lime loses it’s tang but actually lasts longer on the skin than I expected! I still smell warm sugary lime sweets here, with just the barest hint of swimming pool to it. then it really does fade away completely, it’s barely there after a couple of hours.

Verdict: this lime is bright, happy and zingy, and smells like sipping a margarita (though this has the salt replaced by sugar) by the pool…right down to the scent of the pool itself! This is such a fun, lively lime scent, a real ‘feel good’ fragrance. Sadly, like most citrus scents, it doesn’t last. But it was so good whilst it did! It's really sunny and fizzy and 'happy-making' stuff, one of the best lime scents ever.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I only have an imp with a tiny scraping of this oil-I’m keeping it but I think I’ve used up the best of this oil!

Oh Lime, you have not aged well. I can tell you were lime way back in the day but now you have this bitter, powdery edge. It's more like lime zest than anything else, with a faint tinge of varnish.

SAAAD.

ETA: Lime PEZ. Sadly, my skin really does eat this up.

Edited by zankoku_zen