Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heretic

Eshe, A Vision of Life-In-Death (2006)

The perfume of life-in-death: embalming herbs, black myrrh, white sandalwood, black orchid, paperwhites, tomb dust, and Moroccan jasmine.

:P This is one of those CD scents that blew me away though I wasn't sure from the description whether I would like it. I don't really get much floral - mostly a resinous, incense smoke that kind of reminds me of Mr. Jacquel (?) in a more feminine incarnation. Really lovely! I know I'll get this one before the Carnaval leaves town.

edited to add scent description (hopefully I did that right...) Edited by Shollin
Fixed BPAL tags --Shollin

In bottle/imp: Musky herbs with sort of a high citrus or white musk note.

Immediately on skin: This smells like some sort of white musk is in it, but I don’t see it listed. Perhaps it’s the jasmine mixing with the herbs. This is dry and a higher perfume to my nose. It’s slightly citrusy and clean.

After a little while: This scent is very odd and hard to explain. It’s dry and a higher type of scent, a little sharp and powdery, with the warmth of sandalwood and light base of smoky jasmine with the syrupy black orchid peeking through the middle of the blend. There’s something clean about this, but also kind of spicy, dry, and resinous.

Overall Impressions: It almost smells like if you had incense sticks of all the notes listed here, then you burned them, and took the ashes and mixed it all together and threw in a little resinous myrrh. This scent is dry, but complex and a bit sweet. It’s interesting, but not something I would wear.

If Lune Noire and Aziraphale had a baby, they would have named her Eshe. She is a soft floral and it feels like she is hiding something. Despite the softness, Eshe has great throw and is long lasting. This could be love. :P

In the bottle and wet on my skin this smells a LOT like a (better) version of Harlot-- spicy florals. I don't really get anything herbal from Eshe, just a complex bouquet with the spicy resinous and creamy quality of of the myrrh and sandalwood, the "temple dust" (in the form of a subtle nose tickle) coming a long in a few hours after the florals (which are quite strong initially) calm down some. I love this blend, and could really see myself wearing it daily.

ETS: Plan on a back-up bottle or two before the CD leaves.. I want to be able to slather Eshe to my hearts content :P

Edited by MCS4096

Holy crap this is a morpher!! Wet, almost all I get is jasmine. The black orchid is present as well and I can very faintly detect the paperwhites. The myrrh is barely present. As it dries, it goes powdery on me, like a gramma smell. There seems to be a faintly citrus vibe here, almost lemony? I put this one on and was paying close attention to it for about an hour or so. I went out for dinner and shopping and when I came back, I could smell this delicious, resinous, spice. It was Eshe! I was shocked! Gone was the powdery floral perfumey smell and in its place was a complex, albeit light, resin/spice scent. I liked the end result, but it took a very long time to get there.

In the Imp

Sandalwood, herbs and resins.

On My Skin

The sandalwood, myrrh and jasmine are lovely in this blend. They are combine to make this blend smell very light. I’m not getting any dust, thank god. I really dislike dirt and soil scents and this one hasn’t come out at all yet.

After a Bit

The longer this is on my skin the more ‘sour’ smelling it turns. The jasmine and sandalwood retreat to the background and the herbs and a bit of dirt come out more and more.

Rating 1-5 (5 being best)

Scent - 1.9 Throw - 3 Longevity - 3

Overall (not an average) - 2.3

Final Thoughts

This one isn’t for me, I’ll be passing it on for somebody else to try.

Wet: Spicy and sweet.

First on: Sweet resin, like floral incense.

Dry: Unchanged. Pleasant, if a bit bland.

i remember ordering this as soon as it came out - because the scent description sounded like it had sooo much potential for awesome. i also remember being afraid of the jasmine... and as it happens, that fear was justified.

because even though the lovely sandalwood and herbs and heartbreakingly beautiful orchid is there... it is all overwhelmed with the jasmine. so much potential! so much fail.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I ordered this one. Probably something like "myrrh! Sandalwood! Herbs! Tomb dust!" I completely ignored the jasmine part, which is pretty much my note of death.

In the bottle, the Jasmine and florals are kind of overwhelming. Cloying, to say the least. Wet on the skin, I was seriously dismayed. The Jasmine ruled this blend with an iron fist, keeping all of the spicy goodness firmly subdued as it rampaged across my skin. Then, the uprising! Tired of being oppressed and trampled upon, Myrrh and Sandalwood staged a bloody upheaval, toppling the tyrant Jasmine from her throne and trampling her into dust. Once the carnage was over, Myrrh and Sandalwood elected the delicate and divine Black Orchid to take the crown. With the evil Jasmine vanquished, Orchid settled down to a reign of peace amidst a court full of incense and dreamy spices.

Once the jasmine is gone, this scent reminds me quite a bit of my beloved Voodoo Lily, though it is perhaps a bit more refined. It lasts much longer than Voodoo Lily, which is a plus since Voodoo Lily has a habit of disappearing after only a couple hours. The jasmine does linger on quietly past the dry down phase, when it comes out in a much more subdued fashion, and I'm really not sure how I feel about that. However, that's usually well past the four or five hour mark, so by then I can scrub it off or reapply. I was hoping that it would be a bit more dusty and musty, but alas, the dust barely makes an appearance. I like this once its dry, but the jury is still out on whether its worth it to wait out the jasmine or not.

Edited by Dianora

Inside the imp, dust and sandalwood.

Wet on the skin, very resinous. Sandalwood is strong in this blend. A little sour, but jasmine tends to do that on my skin.

Dries down to a sweet floral incense. Very nice and very smooth scent. ;)

In the bottle this is quite strong, however on me the scent mellows out to a wonderfully smooth insence-y and almost sweet scent. It makes me feel very sexy. Wonderful. :wub2:

Oooooh I love this!! Very soft, airy, somewhat floral (but the sandalwood keeps it from screaming floral) and a hint of clean.

The jasmine behaves in this scent and is in the background. Of the flowers listed the black orchid and paperwhites stand out. So glad to have this in my collection ... thanks cmjames!! :wub:

Oh, I love this. :wub2:

Wet, Eshe is very nearly indistinguishable from Nefertiti to my nose, and Nefertiti is a great love of mine, but for the staying power. I'm not surprised - both have white sandalwood, myrrh, and North African herbs/embalming herbs, which I suspect are roughly the same blend. Where this starts to differ from Nefertiti is in the drydown. Nefertiti stays herbal and does not turn floral to my nose, whereas the jasmine begins to show in Eshe after a few minutes. I'm not sure of the smell of orchids or paperwhites, so to me this is purely Nefertiti plus jasmine and I love it. This is a keeper, and maybe a bottle purchase.

I'm surprised that this didn't get more reviews, because this is a really pretty floral: a heady, sweet mix of jasmine and resins. It's sexy, but in a very womanly way.

It starts out strong, but it quickly morphs into this beautiful floral bouquet, with jasmine taking a firm - but not overwhelming - lead.

I think more people need to take a.second look at this blend before it disappears forever.