Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kitkat

Burt's Bees fans will know...

I have a friend who likes BB's Bay Rum Cologne and would like to try a BPAL equivalent. Any suggestions of catalogue scents that are pretty close?

Thanks!

Edited by ivyandpeony
merged topics re: Burt's Bees products

Baron Samedi or Port-au-Prince, both have a strong bay rum component [in fact, Baron Samedi is THE BPAL version of bay rum]. Delicious!

I've never smelled the Burt's Bees bay rum version, but just keep in mind that Baron Samedi is extremely strong on the almond note, which a lot of bay rum scents aren't.

Which is a damn shame because I wanted to love the Baron and he was the single worst experience (aside from maybe Voodoo, which I also wanted to adore) of my BPAL experience. :P

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to order both imps and let him pick which one he likes best.

And if he doesn't like the Baron Samedi I may well like it - mmm, almonds!

If you like almonds, I think you'd most likely love Baron Samedi even if he doesn't. :P

I, on the other hand, am allergic to almond essential oil and can't wear any perfume with it in it. :D

Ok: here's the caveat, I've not smelled any of these (or your target), but here's what comes up for bay rum, which is a classic scent.

-Baron Samedi

-Jazz Funeral

-Santo Domingo

-Jolly Roger

Baron Samedi's description state's that it is BPAL's bay rum scent, but the other three I listed also list bay rum.

There's something in the BB's cologne that makes him like it in particular, but I just don't have the experience to identify the other notes. We may just have to do the trial and error thing - I'll enable him yet.

Edited by kitkat

I love love love the smell of Burt's Bees.

Any BPAL oils that mimic Burty's scents? :P

Particulary Milk&Honey lotion and Lemon Poppyseed facial cleanser...yummmmmm

Edited by ivyandpeony
title tweak to enable search results

Oooh, I'm new to BPAL so I haven't tried many, but I am interested in knowing too. I love Burt's Bees products.

Milk & Honey lotion smells primarily of coconut oil to me, with just a little milky sweetness. I think Obatala is a pretty good match.

Give Dana O'Shee a try. Very nice milky, grainy, honey scent. Light but so good in a scent locket.

I agree.Dana has a very comforting milky feel to it just like the Milk and Honey Lotion.

Lilium Inter Spinas reminds me quite a bit of Burt's Bees' Baby Bee line. :P

Edited by riddel

I haven't tried either of those, but I think somewhere between Sudha Segara and Kumiho would make a good match for BB's citrus-ginger shower gel -- either one could work depending what direction it went on your skin.

There's something in the BB's cologne that makes him like it in particular, but I just don't have the experience to identify the other notes.
I'm interested in an update on this. Did you ever find a BPAL that was similar? I think that note is patchouli and with the bay rum, oh man, yummy. :P

Has anyone since found any scents similiar to Burt's Bees?

I've heard Stinky and Werepuppy smell similiar to the Buttermilk lotion, and Winter Nights Enlarge has been compared to the milk & honey lotion... I've never tried Winter Nights, but i'd love more recs for blends similiar to the Milk & Honey lotion! :D

I have nothing useful to add here, except to say that yes - Stinky is just about a perfect match to BB's Buttermilk. Stinky does have a stronger milk note (so if you're one of those people for whom the BPAL milk note goes a little funky, you might not get the Buttermilk yumminess), but really it's so similar it's kinda uncanny. I wouldn't have said Werepuppy is a match though, I can see the similarity but unfortunatey the baby skin/milk breath notes never really came out very much on my skin.

I can't think of a BPAL that's quite like the Milk & Honey lotion though - the honey note in Womb Furie is similar, but there's no milk in that one so.. hmm.. dunno! :think:

I think just about every single review of Gladdener of All Hearts is required by law to mention that it smells like Burt's Bees Apricot Baby Oil. Because, seriously, that's the only thing I can think of when I smell GoAH.

Has anyone since found any scents similiar to Burt's Bees?

I've heard Stinky and Werepuppy smell similiar to the Buttermilk lotion, and Winter Nights Enlarge has been compared to the milk & honey lotion... I've never tried Winter Nights, but i'd love more recs for blends similiar to the Milk & Honey lotion! :D

Hanerot Halalu smells almost exactly like BB's Honey Beeswax Lip Balm on me.

I have nothing useful to add here, except to say that yes - Stinky is just about a perfect match to BB's Buttermilk. Stinky does have a stronger milk note (so if you're one of those people for whom the BPAL milk note goes a little funky, you might not get the Buttermilk yumminess), but really it's so similar it's kinda uncanny. I wouldn't have said Werepuppy is a match though, I can see the similarity but unfortunatey the baby skin/milk breath notes never really came out very much on my skin.

I can't think of a BPAL that's quite like the Milk & Honey lotion though - the honey note in Womb Furie is similar, but there's no milk in that one so.. hmm.. dunno! :think:

I'm so happy I have werepuppy, stinky, and womb furie on its way to me! I've been pretty lucky and haven't had a milk note go funny. I'm going to try layering some stuff to see if I can get the mlk & honey smell... I Love that lotion!