Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brienze

Doc Buzzard

First impression: Woodsy, masculine, a bit spicy, dark but with a certain leafy sharpness to it.

I'm generally not a big fan of the woodsy, manly ones, but this is actually quite nice. The woodsy notes are familar and soothing; and the herbal note is commanding while not overpowering. It's almost a "clean" smell for me. There is a hint of something spicy/gourmand underneath; like a deep cinnamon or a black pepper note. The longer I wear this, the more the spicy note emerges. This is a strong blend with good throw and lasting power. This would be really nice on my man.

*sigh*

I really do love this. Basically, I'm getting woods and resin, with something more....something tart, maybe some vegetation or citrus like others have mentioned. But this is far from sweet. I can pick out cedar when I sniff up close, but that's just part of the whole.

There is a middle phase where a little bit of powder comes out, and at this point I'm reminded a little of King Cobra. They must share a note, maybe the frankincense. It's not enough powder to bother me here in Doc Buzzard. It's just part of the complexity.

Then much later the powdery aspect has faded, but I can still smell that resin that reminds me of King Cobra. I feel like I'm not doing this scent justice, the way I'm dissecting it. Overall, it's just amazing and I'm just a little heartbroken that it's so hard to get. I'm so lucky to have a decant, and I will treasure it, but I won't be able to resist wearing it!

Herbs, musk, mint, and a trace of sassafras front this in the bottle. It's subtle, soft, and deep, with just a trace of the shine of crystal incense and a bare hint of smoke.

As soon as it hits skin, the smoke comes out, and the incense, a terrific, deep, low roar of it, overwhelming all the topnotes. This is earthy but somehow elegant. Dirty but not without its poise. It is, indeed, a fine companion to Voodoo Queen. The two seem made for each other, and fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

This is a warm, close, personal scent, intimate, with not a lot of throw. As it ages, a subtle alcohol note comes out, woody almost. This one has a real grace and subtlety to it, and while it's reminiscent in its way of several other men's blends from BPAL that I have tried, it is totally unique in its quality of bourbon-smooth, silky, enveloping darkness.

Doc Buzzard is so complex. It's masculine and smoky, dark, resinous. The one note that took me a while to pinpoint was the lime. It should have hit me over the head, and it does now that I've put my finger on it.

I really like this. It takes a second place next to Voodoo Queen but Doc Buzzard is so refined and complex that I can't help but want to keep him around.

This decant came to me in a tiny little roll-on bottle, so it went right to the skin...

First skin:

Most of the reviews have been right on - dark, resinous, woodsy, wonderful. Honestly, I have been looking for this exact scent for a long time, and am a trifle bummed that it's so difficult to obtain. To me this is the perfect non-cologney ultra-dark oil.

The scent is of the soft, layered floor of an old pine forest: lying on the ground and raking back the top layer of new needles, taking in the air: not pine needles, but the healthy decay of the tree bark, bough, and root into new earth. One of those scents you can really 'taste'.

I get a quick impression of sassafras that sinks nicely into the mix. I can still detect it if I focus on it.

No lime for me. I get maybe a mixture of frankinscense, dark musk, pine resin, subtle woodsy herbs... that's all I can identify.

Dry down:

Stays very consistent on me. THrow is medium.

Must try with voodoo queen.

in the bottle: fierce with woodsy-ness; a heavy, tart resin; a bit of citrus, but of the pine-sap-in-summer variety.

wet on skin: it starts to morph on me, and a men's cologne starts to creep in :D

dry down: all the beautiful, sexy wood notes that appeared on my BF have left me high and dry- this has become a straight up perfumy/cologne on me :P

in all: honestly, i'm kinda relieved: there are so many other wonderful smellies that i pine after that being able to cross a rare one off the list is nice in it's way :D

This is definitely the male counterpart to Voodoo Queen. This has the same spicy resinous base, but it's more masculine. I think it has cloves, because I get spicy, but it's a different kind of spicy. And again, I think there might be some tea in this.

It doesn't smell all that great on me, and really, I'm still reeling from the VQ awesomeness.

This partial decant was a gift from jolarocknrolla, the original Holiday 2008 Fairy on SinandSalvation.

In the vial: Deep resin and herb, sharp, maybe with some patchouli.

Wet: Warmer and very deep now. There's resin, maybe rich patchouli, and I think some kind of wood. It's also sweetly spicy, rather like the bay rum note. I like this very much, but on me it smells like a man. A delicious man, might I add!

Twenty minutes: That bay rum note seems more pronounced now. This is warm, sweet, smoky, spicy, maybe a little woody. It smells like an outdoorsy man to me.

Hour and a half: Oh, I want to rub my nose up and down this one. It definitely belongs on a man! But delicious, woody spicy resinous outdoorsy.

Two and a half hours: I love this.

Four hours: And still loving this! I hate it when I fall in love with a Rare! But this one is charming, invoking very clearly a whiskery, Wild West kind of doctor.

Eight hours: Even after this long, it smelled good enough for my daughter to approve of it.

I may have to go looking for some more of this. Woe, woe unto my pocketbook!

DocBuzzardSS.jpg

Continuing to review the rares I'm sampling this week, up comes Doc Buzzard, which comes to me by way of another kind forumite in a swap (or maybe an outright purchase, I can't remember).

Luckily for my sanity (and my paypal account), while I like the scary Doctor well enough, I find it quite like another resinous blend of which I have multiple bottles, Luperci. A bit smoother, perhaps, but still a rough and wild patchouli when all is said and done, would be how I describe Doc Buzzard. It has good throw; the teeny little bit I dabbed on my wrist entertained my nose very nicely and for a fairly long time too.

Verdict? I like it, and certainly wouldn't turn it down if offered more, but I won't be haunting eBay to score more of it. Thank goodness!

Decant: resiny and woody and coke syrup?

Wet on Me: masculine yes, resin and woods, yes, something spicy, yes and something more I can not quite pinpoint

Drying Down: getting some lime in this. Not Green Jello Lime or Candy lime and not even overly tart lime, but that gentle whisper of lime that sets this scent off to the next level of divine.

Dry: WOW! I could wrap myself up in this forever. Too bad it is so rare. I love it. Will gladly take more of it, but I know I don't have the funds to track it from here to heaven which is where I am assuming it resides away from us mere mortals.

Wet, dark, musky, astringent, strong and powerful masculine blend. Dry, ends up being much the same, a smooth and dark blend, which unfortuneately is a bit too masculine for me.

Edited by milo

A decant of this came my way from the fabulous Puddin' with my t-shirt grab bag fulfilling a long-held dream,

In the imp: A sharp astringent scent laid over the top of something deeply resinous. I'm also getting a dark musk.

Wet on skin (at application): different than in the imp, but by degrees... The astringency is tempered to become herbal and I'm now reading that resinous quality as a woody note with some dry spices on top. I still think there's musk at the base, but it's not dark or swarthy -- maybe a skin musk or a really light version of a red musk? This is very much a melange scent to me -- right now, it smells very like opening my imp box...

Dry down:

Memory is a tricky thing. As I sit her sniffing myself, I think I smell exactly like my favorite aunt used to back in the late 1970s and early 1980s when she wore a green floral chore called Ma Griffe by Carven. As I huff and try to figure out the notes of this intoxicating smell, it becomes clear that I am NOT smelling Ma Griffe, and yet... It smells like Ann.

There is. Dry wood on one wrist, something not unlike a cedar, overlaid with dry herbs and spices. The other wrist is greener, wetter and fresher. On it, there is pine (maybe fresh cedar boughs so as opposed to the aged wood chest of the other wrist?), something sweet and just a bit floral (jasmine? A floral honey?), and in distinct herbs and spices.

This is powerful, with lots of throw. It's not really masculine to me -- more powerful than gendered.