Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Opium Poppy

Opium teaches only one thing, which is that aside from physical suffering, there is nothing real. A bitter, soft, fragile flower.

Very powdery, white floral.

Edited by delighted

I also get a bandaid concept with this. But, it also has a dark feel, almost a plum colored image under it all. I'm also getting a little of the screeching scent which I normally associate with violet. But, it is mainly being beaten back by the dark and bandaid fight. It never seems to morph to anything better as it dries.

I keep trying the imp, but really need to admit defeat with it.

In the imp this smells like a spicy, smoky floral. I always wonder what poppies are supposed to smell like in perfume, since to me, real poppies smell like dirt. Wet, this is pure opium - very narcotic. Absolutely NO florals make it to my skin. When it dries, it's sweet, spicy smoke. Nothing more. While I like the smell, it's pretty one dimensional. I always layer this with Slippery Poppy Tincture to give it interest. Together, they're magical.

Wet: This has a bubblegummy sort of feel at first, in the throw at least, sort of like lotus, which I don't really care for. Nose to skin though, it's smoky and peppery, more like what I expected. It's weird though, how incongruent the throw is to the scent next to my skin.

Dry: Smoky, slightly peppery floral. In the same vein as tobacco flower on me. I think I like poppy better in blends where there is some sweetness.

Freshly applied: Curious. Mostly, I think I smell the opium note from Caterpillar and Forest Reverie. But there's something red and flowery and a little spicy behind it. I think that's our lurking poppy.

I'm not into the opium note, but at first I like what I think is the poppy. Then, over time, the blend turns powdery. I'm not sure if it's the poppy, opium, or something else.

I decided that I finally had to try this since opium poppy accord is listed as a note in Emerald Lace.

In the imp: Very poppy. Much opium. Wow.

Wet: I'm hit with a blast of opium, backed by the sweet poppy note. The poppy note is so sweet that it almost has a bubblegum-y quality to it, although not as much as lotus, and the opium note is helping to tame the sweetness.

Dry: I am getting less opium during this phase of the scent. Now, the sweet poppy note reigns, with opium-brushed petals. On my skin, the sweet poppy just seems to be getting stronger over time.

Verdict: This one is okay. It isn't a scent that I would reach for on its own, but I could see it playing well with the Lab's Lace base. I'm glad I got the chance to try it, but I don't think I need to hold onto this imp.

This stays pretty much the same from imp to skin. Thin wispy floral poppy with a light incensy opium. Mysterious and has a draws-you-in quality. 

Opium generally has a sort of latex/bandaid quality to it. This opium is lighter and sweeter than some. The comparison to tobacco flower is apt too. I can understand why it might be perceived as a white floral but also as dark.

Narcotic, hypnotic, but soft around the edges. This is reminiscent of some old fashioned perfume while being less formal than most.

This has been one of my favorites for a while now. It's a summer goth scent, even better when layered with Black Lily.