Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fishwomon

Love an Aveda scent or shampoo, looking for a BPAL that's similar?

see? case in point: i never would've guessed that lavender is the "aveda" smell i've noticed for so long. i guess i just don't have much context for what these things smell like outside of the typical stuff you buy at the store. which i suspect isn't usually the best frame of reference.

Lavender bushes are on every street corner here, and when they bloom I usually grab a sprig and carry it around with me, but I think lavender is probably the only note that I'll be able to pick out and go "hey, that's lavender."

Hello from another Aveda fan... addict, in my case.

I agree with pretty much every recommendation above and don't have one to add.

There is an entire thread discussing musks somewhere (I swear I did not imagine this, but I have not found it yet)...

There is an entire thread discussing musks somewhere (I swear I did not imagine this, but I have not found it yet)...

The thread about the different musks is here. :P

One thing that you might do is to go to your Aveda store. If it is one of the stores that has the signature scents, see which ones appeal to you and check the notes on that blend. Or, check their single notes and make note of them. That way, you can search BPAL for blends that contain your favorite notes.

Edited by portalkat

One thing that you might do is to go to your Aveda store. If it is one of the stores that has the signature scents, see which ones appeal to you and check the notes on that blend. Or, check their single notes and make note of them. That way, you can search BPAL for blends that contain your favorite notes.

that's great advice. thanks a lot! :D

there's an aveda scent that i bought a couple of years ago that's discontinued now and i wish i wish i wish there was some way for me to somehow look up the notes. maybe i can find it on ebay or something...

that's great advice. thanks a lot! :D

there's an aveda scent that i bought a couple of years ago that's discontinued now and i wish i wish i wish there was some way for me to somehow look up the notes. maybe i can find it on ebay or something...

Which one was it? Maybe you could just email Aveda and ask them for the notes. They might tell you if you tell them that you are looking for something with similar notes.

Which one was it? Maybe you could just email Aveda and ask them for the notes. They might tell you if you tell them that you are looking for something with similar notes.

man, i really can't remember. i'm at work so i can't just go look at it. there were three, all with different color schemes...it was like blue/green, purple/something, and yellow/orange...the latter being the one i've got. desert primrose was one of them, but i think that may have been the purple one. i'd know it if i heard it...i'm not even sure the bottle has the name on it.

that's a really good idea though. i'll have to figure out the name and maybe someone there will be kind enough to get back to me :P

oooh! i found it on ebay! it's called dune primrose. oh boy, is it awesome. it fades quickly, but i love it so much.

i'm tempted to just buy it, but it's $30 and i need the money. if bpal has something similar, that'd be perfect.

Thank you for posting that link, portalkat. I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

man, i really can't remember. i'm at work so i can't just go look at it. there were three, all with different color schemes...it was like blue/green, purple/something, and yellow/orange...the latter being the one i've got. desert primrose was one of them, but i think that may have been the purple one. i'd know it if i heard it...i'm not even sure the bottle has the name on it.

that's a really good idea though. i'll have to figure out the name and maybe someone there will be kind enough to get back to me :D

oooh! i found it on ebay! it's called dune primrose. oh boy, is it awesome. it fades quickly, but i love it so much.

i'm tempted to just buy it, but it's $30 and i need the money. if bpal has something similar, that'd be perfect.

:P It was the Desert Trio and I have it! The scents were Dune Primrose, Joshua Tree and Sand Verbena. Well, now you know that you like primrose. :D Luckily, the one that I can locate right now is the Dune Primrose so I'll see if it's similar to any BPAL.

:P It was the Desert Trio and I have it! The scents were Dune Primrose, Joshua Tree and Sand Verbena. Well, now you know that you like primrose. :D Luckily, the one that I can locate right now is the Dune Primrose so I'll see if it's similar to any BPAL.

yes! i am so excited that someone else has this. i just bid for some of the roll-on from ebay. i poked around online a bit and there was a lot of different speculation as to what notes were in it, but nothing definite. someone said lilac and jasmine. someone else said vanilla, lemon, and sandalwood. none of these seem quite right to me, but maybe it's the combination.

hopefully someone from aveda will get back to me! :D

You might want to try Midnight. Here are the notes. The flowers are of the night-blooming variety, but the primrose note smells similar to me. The Aveda blend smells like a soft daytime scent, while Midnight smells more complex and dramatic - the *all dressed and somewhere to go* perfume. :P

You might want to try Midnight. Here are the notes. The flowers are of the night-blooming variety, but the primrose note smells similar to me. The Aveda blend smells like a soft daytime scent, while Midnight smells more complex and dramatic - the *all dressed and somewhere to go* perfume. :P

ooh.... :D thanks!

I've been an Aveda fan for years. I thought that Kether of the now discontinued Sephiroth smelled a lot like an Aveda scent. Don't know how hard that one would be track down, but others that remind me of Aveda include Crossroads - I think it's the jasmine/gardenia, and Arcana - lots of lavender and herbs.

Good luck in your search!

the bastards at aveda discontinued my signature scent, hana.

is there anyone familiar with the scent and could provide me with what the topnotes and undernotes are so i can find a similar scent at BPAL?

thank you in advance!

Edited by bogartnoir

I found Haunted to have the heavier aspects of Aveda scents. My hubby said it smelled like my Aveda shampoo, which is scented with their Inspiratu (sp?) perfume.

I used to be a total Aveda addict, and I've only just started with BPAL (loving it so far!).

One of the first BPALs I've tried is Siren, which smells exactly like Aveda's Gaia to me (so a little like Aveda's Mizan, too). Gaia was part of the 'Inspiritu' line that was discontinued a few years ago. They also stopped producing their 'Chakra' scents and the desert trio around the same time, but now I have a lot of hope that I'll find new BPAL alternatives to those old favorites! :P

Men Ringing Bell With Penises reminds me of Aveda products in general. It reminds me of citrus and mint just a little, somewhat herbal, a clean smell. It has a weird quality of smelling kind of classic and modern at the same time. It took me a few tries but I think I like it more and more everytime I wear it.

i think scherezade smells a lot like aveda shampoos and conditiones and even some of the sylting products.

when i wore scherezade for the first time, i put some in my hair because i was going out to the club and it gets super smokey! the only way i can smell anything other than ciggerette smoke is by putting bpal in my locket or hair and if you put it in your hair it really gets amped up!

anyways, the comment from that night of scherezade was that i smelled like aveda.

:P

i absolutely adore aveda's shampure. someone bought me their shampure-scented soy wax candle and i can't throw it away, even though i've burnt it all because it smells so good! a note search on the scent produced this:

"Shampure: (Aveda Type) This earthy scent captures the aroma of soft rose petals surrounded by jasmine, lavender, ylang ylang, and bergamot on a background of exotic patchouli."

which totally baffles me because i cannot stand flowery perfumes or floral scents at all. i like resins and musks. :P anyone have any bpal suggestions for me?

thx!

I just started using Aveda's scalp benefits shampoo, and it smells soooo gooood. But I'm not sure what BPAL to pair with it. Its a very vetiver/sage/almost smoky heavy scent and it stays with me. All I can think of is maybe Malediction? Any thoughts peeps? Thanks!

How about Aveda's Brilliant? I love the smell of the shampoo and hairspray but the ingredients don't really help with picking out the single notes. I looked it up and the only thing listed is Black tea, Certified organic aloe, Certified organic calendula, Certified organic chamomile. Any similar bpal oils?

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that resembles Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Conditioner (recently discontinued)? The only thing close to it is (IMO) Pacifica's Spanish Amber which does not last on me.

I would appreciate any recommendation.

most scents are too heavy for me or smell differently on my skin, but Aveda's Hana was my favorite perfect signature scent. they discontinued it a while back, and i have about 2 inches left and i'm panicking!

are there any bpal scents that smell like Hana?

halp!

(and thanks in advance!)

-sofia

Any idea what the main notes in Hana were?

I had 'Mizan' from the same purefume line, and its dominant notes are black pepper, and some real strong woodsy aromas (sandalwood, etc).

It may help you start focusing in on a few BPALs that are similar. I found that the old Aveda purefumes had a very 'natural essential oil' quality that was a bit... rugged, compared to BPAL, so a direct match may be hard to find. The Aveda 'fumes were natural for the sake of being natural, so they tended to come across as strongly influenced by EOs.

I found this description on ebay: "Hana is a citrus-spice composition highlighting sandalwood and lemon. The Japanese "Hana", or floral bouquet, reflects an artistic tradition of order and purpose and serenity. The word means "flower scent" in Japanese and the Japanese tradition in Hawai'i is reflected in the beautiful undeveloped town of Hana on the isle of Maui, appropriately named for the scent of flowers in its warm breezes.

In Japan, there is a tradition of repose called "hana-mi", in which eager sufferers of spring-fever may indulge themselves in an orgy of celebration when the delicate pink cherry blossoms first make their appearance after a cold and bare winter. During this time, they go to a park or beautifully-planted area, spread out a mat, drink sake, and do hana-mi -- THAT IS, to lie down and look up at the blossom-filled trees above."

Based on that, I found a couple of possibilities on the Lab's site:

Ave Maria Gratia Plena..."A pale, delicate, truly angelic blend. A scent created to emulate Adonis' halo of beauty: fragile, distant, and radiant. Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris."

Namaste...."Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass."

Zephyr...."A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla."

Carnaval Diabolique (currently limited edition)....."Straight from the twisted alleys of Dis, by way of the City of Angels: opium smoke, lemon flower, heliotrope, tuberose, black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower."

Cordelia...."The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk."

The Zieba Tree....."A dreamlike, listless scent, misty and hazed, with wisps of white sandalwood, eddying musks the colors of eventide, shimmering pale resins, davana, lemon blossom, orange blossom, and white peach."

The Scales Of Deprivation...."Thin, dark, and shadowed. A scent that offers no sustenance, comfort or satiety: lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum."

Death And Life Completed....."Grey amber, carnation, lemon balm, hydrangea, Chinese peony, white sandalwood, cypress, juniper, cedar, hibiscus, and African daisy."

Manhattan....."A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history: sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid."

New Orleans....."Reminiscent of hothouse blooms on a humid night, ripe, but touched with decay. Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice."

Venice....."A complex, voluptuous scent that captures the robust beauty of the Italian Renaissance: lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf."

I've never tried Hana, so I don't know if any of those would actually resemble it. But I just did a search for lemon and combed the results for anything sounding remotely like the description. Hope that helps a little bit!