Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

Oils for Scent Lockets

I have recently discovered scent lockets (duh!) and am quite fond of them. It's interersting to wear oils in them, and its an entirely different experience for me to judge oils by their initial scent rather than the dry down (because they're only wet for a few minutes). I'm going back and trying to remember which were nice wet (like they would be in a scent locket).

Anyway,

I was wondering which are your favorites for scent lockets. I'm planning on ordering a bottle of Dublin for it because I liked it wet- I was so sad when I tried it a while ago and loved it at first, but it dried down to a powdery mess on my skin.

I would appreciate your advice!

Well, I am waiting to see what the Lab has to offer in the way of scent lockets before buying one. :P

The one scent I've put aside as a candidate for scent locket use is Holiday Moon.

Love its initial fruity/green bouquet and then the strong tea underneath... but get little of anything after an hour of wear.

Up til now, I've swapped or sold those scents that fade so rapidly on my skin. Will probably only keep a very special few for locket use.

You know, I think just about any oil you *really* like is good for a scent locket -- especially oils that tend to disappear quickly on your skin. The thing about scent lockets is they keep the scent right under your nose and wafting about you all day. If you don't absolutely adore a scent, a scent locket can turn you off from that scent pretty quickly. Or, if the scent you like is really strong, putting it in a scent locket AND applying it to yourself might be overkill. This happened to me with Vixen. It's one of my top 5 scents, and I adore it to no end, but it is strong. I made the mistake of applying it liberally, wearing it in a scent locket, then taking a train downtown to go to an art gallery. Big mistake. The double-whammy of the scent locket and wearing it on my skin was too much. I got nauseated on the train, and all the while I was at the (crowded) art exhibit, I was paranoid that my scent was knocking other people out. The experience put me off Vixen for a while. Now I've learned my lesson -- Vixen does NOT belong in a scent locket!

Snake Oil and Alice are two I often wear in my scent lockets. Snake Oil is another strong scent, so I don't use too much of it in the scent locket, but the locket I have is of a design that seems so perfect for Snake Oil. (click on link below -- that's my "snake oil locket").

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Filigree-Marcas...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, the only candidates for a scent locket are those which you love the wet phase. Scent lockets actually keep the scents from drying except at a very slow rate (that's how they maintain the scent) but that means that the scents you put in them stay at the wet phase the entire time. So, that's what I learned about scent lockets. If you like the scent wet, use them. If you are in love with the dried phase, they won't be much help to you.

Not intended to be a hi-jack, but does the metal of the locket affect the components of the oil at all? Any chemical reaction that might turn your favorite scent into a nose-wrinkler? I'm really intrigued by scent lockets: I just discovered that I have one: my sister gave it to me years ago with no explanation and I just now realized why there are little holes in it. Talk about duh! :P

ETA: The information about about the scent staying in the "wet" stage is also good to know. I tend to be turned off by scent until I've worn it for about half an hour, so I'll pay closer attention to what I like in the wet stage.

Edited by Heretic

I don't know if different metals would change the scent at all.

I use little bits of cotton pads (like the cotton squares you buy at the grocery store for putting toner on you face or whatever). I am going to get a new locket that has bigger openings on the front and I'm thinking I'll use tiny pieces of black felt to put the scent on.

I plan on putting Harlot and Alice aside for scent-locket use. Harlot because I love the scent but the cinnamon irritates my skin, and Alice because I also love the scent but it fades within ten minutes.

As for the lockets themselves, I want to see what the Trading Post puts out as I'm sure they will be lovely.

Edited by Chrysantza

I don't know if different metals would change the scent at all.

I use little bits of cotton pads (like the cotton squares you buy at the grocery store for putting toner on you face or whatever). I am going to get a new locket that has bigger openings on the front and I'm thinking I'll use tiny pieces of black felt to put the scent on.

OK-- you just satiated a months-old curiosity, and now I definitely have to get the Trading Post lockets b/c I make jewelry!!! Thanks for the info--

I just got a locket and am wearing carnal in it. It's great since I love the smell but it doesn't last long on me. Anyway, my question is how do you clean the locket before putting another scent in? I'm guessing it's best to do it with alcohol and let it dry a while. Does anybody have tips?

I have a few lockets and use similar scents in one locket, I have a light floral/aquatic locket, a foody/spicy locket and a foresty locket. I rotate wearing them and will put a new bit of felt with my new scent after rinsing it with water and drying it off. It works well that way and since I use similar scents in one locket I haven't had any problem.

If you have one locket for your scents you might try some soap and water (I don't know if alchohol would damage the finish of your locket but it would certainly work to remove the scent).

I love scent lockets and can't wait until the lab has theirs for sale. They're especially good for me since scents last such a short time on my skin. With a locket I can smell BPAL's beautiful oils all day, and don't have to be limited to oils that have some staying power. I've been wearing Gingerbread Poppet for a few days (which I love, but it only lasts 15 minutes on my skin- so it's great in a locket).

if I buy a locket I'll be putting Scheherezade in it - it's gorgeous and sexy, but it goes awfully wrong on my skin - accidental splash on my clothes remained beautiful for days after. A perfect candidate for scent locketing...

I've got two lockets. I bought the first one for myself and it came with ten tiny felt strips for putting the oil on. Then my husband got me a darling heart-shaped one with a Celtic knot on it and I've been wearing it almost daily.

For the heart-shaped one, I pull one end off a Q-tip and dip that into the oil. I keep both the felt strips and the Q-tips in separate tiny Zip-loc bags (check your craft store's bead section) labeled, so I can reuse them and not go through my oil so fast. I clean the locket with alcohol and a Q-tip.

My current favorites are Bearded Lady and Lick It. I've also had Flower Moon, Ophelia, Juliet, Harvest Moon, 25&7... About the only ones I found I didn't like as much in the locket were Antique Lace (too weak) and Dragon's Eye (eye-wateringly spicy).

Edited by puck_nc

Scents:

First up I tried spraying half a q-tip with the sample room/linen spray Villa Diodati.

This combo lasted all 8 hrs at work fading to fewer whisps as the day went by but I loved this one and am saddened that it is an unreleased "prototype". Anyone smelled this? Anyone know if and when this will come out for real?

The second scent I have tried in my locket is Dublin. LOVE this in the locket not as strong a scent as Villa Diodati though. I put Dublin on a square of felt. I need to experiment with how much oil I put on it.

BOO I learned Dublin is a discontinued scent :( I REALLY like this one!

I really like Titania (tried on felt). Need to experiment on amount of oil though.

Source of locket: I purchased my scent locket (Carnaval Diabolique design) from the TP.

Material: I'm thinking maybe the q-tip worked better to get bursts of scent because it rolled around as I moved around at work where the felt seemed to have a more constant stream of scent because it is flat and stationary.

Storage: I just started putting the felts of the ones I like in baggies with sharpie of the scent name on the outside so I don't have to use as much oil.

Cleaning: Between scents I take a clean dry q-tip and rub all over the inside to wipe up the remnant oil. Then I wash with soap and water and dried it with another clean q-tip.

Edited by archergrl

Question..can I use the felt pads meant for placing under furniture to use in my scent locket? I found a really pretty one at a jewelry stand at the Farmer's Market!

Question..can I use the felt pads meant for placing under furniture to use in my scent locket? I found a really pretty one at a jewelry stand at the Farmer's Market!

I just use circles cut out of old felted wool sweaters, lol!

I just use circles cut out of old felted wool sweaters, lol!

ooooh! I love that idea of the felted sweaters - thank you!