Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hangingfire

Twenty-One

A tribute to New York’s 21 Club on West 52nd, formerly the speakeasy Jack & Charlie’s Puncheon Club. This is the scent of the perfect martini.

Y'all weren't kidding when you said this was straight liquor, oh my gosh. I've never smelled effervescence without it actually being present, but 21 accomplished that nicely. Bright and very fizzy, with a tang of citrus - lime, maybe? Those tend to turn bathroom cleaner on me, but it seems I've been spared this time around. Still, it really packs a punch. Throw is medium but by no means feeble - kinda stung the back of my throat to take a whiff up close. I'm lucky to like it, since I found it kinda hard to lift from the skin.

I personally would not describe this as clean or refreshing, but it certainly piques the senses. Summery for sure, but I'd go with something else on humid days.

Such a lovely fizzy gin scent, with a twist of lemon. Fun enough for a night out, but also refreshing enough for sweltering summer days.

Light, fun, fizzy, citrusy, smells great in the imp. Sadly I've learned the gin note just doesn't behave on my skin. I'm happy I was frimped a tester, but that's all I'll need.

In the imp: Lots of gin!

Wet: So much juniper-y gin! It's like an effervescent evergreen!

Dry: It becomes a little less effervescent over time. It's more citrusy now. But it's still all about the gin note.

Verdict: This one is nice, and I think it would be really refreshing in the summer. I just don't think I'd ever end up deciding I want to smell like gin. :P

I was gifted an imp of this along with my first forum order. I was a little wary of it because gin and I have a mixed relationship (some gin and its aroma and flavor I love, some is horrifically awful to me, this has very little to do with its level of fanciness).

In the imp: it's a bright herbal and a little citrus (probably lemon) scent, definitely smells a bit boozy

Fresh on the skin: I can smell something akin to juniper, none of my death notes from gin are immediately rearing their head, but the balance is a bit weird on my skin to start with

As it starts to settle in: The most notable note to start out with is probably that sort of lemony, more like the mixing of skin oil and juice on the skin after juicing a lemon than the scent of it in a drink for me, but it's held back by drier herbal notes and something that could be juniper but also could be a more generic evergreen. Definitely feels like this one is going to take a moment to settle.

On dry down: ... this is going lemon cleaning product a bit on me. A nice lemon cleaning product, one I'd use! But that's not what I want my skin to smell like really. It's not offensive, and I could see how it would be a lovely scent, and also how it could balance differently and better for someone else, but I don't think that it's for me.

Testing a year-old frimp.

Wet: Sweetly evergreen. Bright. No booze.

Dry: Sweetly evergreen, with lemon and frankincense. No booze.

I think this is wearing quite close to my skin and is quite faded after four hours.

This immediately called to mind memories of Gingerbread Invisible Man and Fatôme's Ruslan. The former is fizzy ginger ale and lemon (plus cookies), and the latter is frankincense and fir.

This doesn't do much for me, though I can't say I was expecting it to work. 

Edited by wordortwo