Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This is the scent of autumn night, fires in the distance, with a touch of boozy swoon, playful sugar and thuggish musk.

Devil's Night got lost in the general Halloweenie squeeage; I gave it only a passing thought ("Ha! Like in The Crow") before moving on to my One True Autumn Love, Samhain. However, since then I have discovered that anything listing both sugar and musk in the notes is a must-try for me, since that puts it in the same scent family with Crack!PinkSugar. So I am very pleased to now have a decant to test.

On me: oo, yummy! Topnotes of apple, reminding me of Samhain. But then the other notes come out, and it's sweeter than Samhain and has a great musk base, plus just a tiny hint of rum. This is the perfect transitional scent as summer turns to autumn. For summer I want fun candy scents like Midway, and fall is all Samhain and Harvest Moon. But Devil's Night is a gorgeous cross between the two, just right for August / September when it's still really hot here, but my thoughts are turning to cooler days ahead.

I tried this one long ago when it first came out, and I remember not liking it very much on me; I gave it to the boy, who loves it, and I haven't tried it since. I tried it today because I realized I never reviewed it, and now it smells really nice! It's so weird how scents smell differentlly at different times :D ! Anyway, really nice and foody, there's a strong sugared note, much like the one in the original Sugar Skull. It's undermined by a musky, boozy note that gives it a really dark feel. Originally all I smelled was booze, but now that the sugar is on top it's so much better. There's a hint of that lovely, autumny, outside note that is also in Samhain and Hexxannacht. It's a very unique twist on a sugared scent, and now I think I might have to reclaim my bottle from the hubbie! :P

In the bottle: Sweet, smoky, a little foody.

On: Ooh, light, and now I can smell the booze, too. There's a green woodiness to it.

Drying: The notes are blending together so nicely! It's much lighter than I expected, but oh so lovely.

drydown: Ack! Nothing but smoke, which doesn't smell so great on me. :P

Throw: Not much.

I'm going to try it as a room scent before I give up on it.

Edited by Melantha

i smell the sugar and musk but i don't really find it to be autumnual and the boozyness dissapears on me very very quickly. the later stages of the drydown smell JUST like Storyville to me (minus the praline aspect), just sugary with a medium strength musk. oddly enough, if i had to assign a color to this fragrance it would be pink.

In the imp: smoky sweet booze

Wet on skin: Shockingly light and sweet. Very innocent, even. Huh? Where's the booze and musk and smoke? Where's the dark goodness?

Dry on skin (<30 minutes): There's that smoky sweet boozy smell I noted in the imp. Very reminiscent of autumn fires, very comforting (pyromaniac, me? never! :D ) Much stronger than it was while it was still wet.

Dry on skin (30 min - 2 hours): This is an odd mix. I'm getting the sugar, the booze (only nowhere near as strong as earlier), smoke, and faint hints of apple cider? It's more like the spices rather than the apple part of cider.

Dry on skin (> 2 hours): Ok, now I'm really baffled. This has morphed into a musky vanilla on me. It's lovely, but where did the vanilla come from? :P I can still get an occasional waft of booze, which is driving me crazy - I know that scent and just can't seem to place it (other than it's not my usual Malibu or Kahlua).

Overall: 8/10. Will make a great autumn scent or I can slather it on for a night out. Not as strong as I expected - doesn't have the throw I'd like. I've yet to meet a booze or a musk that I haven't like, and Devil's Night is no exception - the sugar and vanilla (I'm still confused by that one) make this an instant love.

bottle:

woody and incense and vanilla

wet:

some almond, woody and incense…. Touch of sweetness

dry:

hmmm this almost smells like I hoped Underpants would! So far I love it - it's right up there with samhain for a halloween/camping scent!

overall:another winner!

rating: 8/10

Sweet and slightly lemony to start with, unfortunately the musk goes rancid on my in the same way that Smut went rancid. It smells artificial and slightly plastic-y. There must be a similar musk in Devil's Night that really doesn't agree with me :P

Ok, why didnt i order this..for some reason I passed it up when it went live..? Gah.

In the bottle: smoky, boozy musk..mmmm!

On the skin: Whoa..theres something remotely spicy in this..and the sugary booze is really prevailing now :D

Afterhours: the drydown on this is reaaaallly nice and very faint (sadly!)..a sexy sugary musk. Damn, if only it lasted longer! :D

Regardless, i'd love another bottle.. :P *stalks swaps*

A very strong, strictly Autumnal blend that makes me think of walking on a crisp, October evening with dried leaves crunching under my feet. There is sugar and spice with a hint of pumpkin pie.

A bit too strong for me. And I can't help but smell something that reminds me of Avon's Skin-So-Soft bug repellent. Ick.

Oh. My. My. My. There aren't even words to describe how much I love this fragrance. This is my very first BPAL fragrance and wow. Couldn't have picked a more awesome oil to be my "first". :P

I smell the sugar, the musk, the spices, the everything that I envision Autumn being. When I smell this I go back to the pumpkin patch that I used to visit with my mom every year when I was a little girl. It was out in the country, so the scent of smoke from the burning fields hangs in the air on cool nights. They had apple cider, spiced popcorn, pumpkin ice cream, and candy apples. All these scents mixed together is what I smell in Devil's Night. Despite it's name, to me it's a very innocent scent. Such great memories, I'm so glad to have found this fragrance.

Thank you BPAL!

Devil's Night

in vial: smells like Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal (fake-y, too sweet cinnamon)

wet: no more fake cinnamon, mostly sweet musk

dry: very faint musk...fades quickly (in less than 2 hours)

verdict: nice, but fades too fast...I'm glad I got to try it

Bottle:

woody, incensy, boozy, a little sweet vanilla

It stays smokey and hearthy, but... the sweetness is really lush and wonderful. I like this, I am still trying to pick out the apple scents people have mentioned.

Devil’s Night - Based on the description alone, I didn’t think I’d like this blend. When I first sniffed it in the vial, it smelled slightly foody, but when I applied it to my skin, the foodiness disappeared, and it became gorgeous, dark, and incense-like. It’s slightly sweet, but not in an unpleasant way at all. This is what I imagine I would get if I were to combine Smut with say, Midnight Mass or The Pit & The Pendulum. This is a beautiful, warm scent, but it is very soft on my skin and doesn’t have much throw. I will most likely keep this blend, however, and give it a shot in the oil burner. I can’t imagine a better “comfort scent” than if my entire house smelled like this.

In the bottle: Hmm, it's like if you mixed wet leaves with Sugar Cookie

First on: This smells so much like Sugar Cookie does on me with something faintly leafy underneath.

After a bit: Cinnamon and nutmeg.

A bit more: Smells like cinnamon hearts with a slight earthy twist.

Quite bit more: This turns almost into brimstone on me after about an hour, not as revolting or strong.

Not sure if I'll be keeping this.

Edited by Spastik_Kitty

In the vial: The ultimate Halloween scent! Candy, smoke, and autumn leaves.

On me: This is spectacular on me. The smokey scent is not overpowering in the least, and the scent is perfectly sweet - also not overpowering. The other note in this blend really does smell like autumn leaves. This is an incredible seasonal scent.

Verdict: So happy I found a bottle!

Rating: 5/5

In the Imp: Slightly sweet and hints of cinnamon and a curling whisp of smoke.

Wet: Sweet and spicy. Like cinnamon cookies with lots of sugar on top. Snickerdoodles? Very cinnamon-y, I love it! I hope it stays this way.

Dry: Well, crap. Only thirty or so minutes into wearing it and the scent's gone all powdery on me. I so wish it had stayed that yummy cinnamon and sugar with smokey autumn leaves smell. :P

Throw: Great at first, but quickly dies off and doesn't have much throw at all.

Overall: The constant reapplication it would take to make this smell how I like it would be totally cost, and sanity, prohibitive. Too bad, so sad. Hopefully there is another scent out there now or in the future that smells akin to this blend and will have the spicy, smokiness but with scent-true staying power.

i tried this on a little while ago.... and without digging out the bottle to compare them, all i can think is "why does this smell like Samhain" ? ('05, that is)

hopefully this is just my wierd chemistry, but they're so very similar.

on a ten scale, i'd say a six for me....i'll put this away and try it again when the weather is more suited to bonfires and falling leaves, apple cider and TP-ing trees....

holy shit! this is the first scent that i have absolutely LOVED at first sniff. enough to make this my signature scent til the end of time love, i mean. :D

it smells pretty much exactly like the description, but i don't think i could even adequately summarize how unbelievably DELICIOUS it is!!!

only problem is it fades fast. other than that, definate 11 out of 10!! :D

-----

ETA: ok, yesterday my bottle of devil's night from ebay arrived. i am sad to say, it's doing something that is seriously breaking my freakin' heart. in the bottle it smells like devil's night, dipped in fruit. on me it smells like devil's night... for about 15 minutes. then it does some weird appley, cidery thing that is seriously making me want to cry. it is absolutely unrecognizable from the boozy, musky devil's night i came to know and love.

wtf? the devil's night from my imp did nothing of the sort. why should the bottle do something totally different? is it possible that my body chemistry changed *over night?* i had the devil's night from the imp on all day, and then reapplied from the bottle at night and bam, apple cider. :P do you suppose one is aged and the other is not as much? what the hell!

i am absolutely crestfallen. :D

ETA again: last night i put the devil's night from my original decanted imp on one arm, and the devil's night from the new bottle on the other arm. i am not insane- the two are so different it's not even recognizable as the same perfume. not even remotely. *ROAR* i *hate* the apple cider version. it has a faint undertone of cat pee! it's awful on me!! will the real devil's night please stand up? what happened to the sweet, smokey, musky devil's night i've fallen in love with from the imp? :D

Edit #3: Maaaaaaan I give up. Last night I got a *second* bottle from another kind seller on one of the livejournal communities. It was more of the cidery version. My heart's officially broken for good.

Edited by purrbox

Mmmmm! To me, not as sugary as, say, Pink Moon, but sweet, faintly buttery in the bottle. On my skin, it quickly turns to a rich, smokey cinnamon. Really lovely, fall is my favorite time of year and this captures some of the nicest scents of the season. Decent staying power, too. I'm glad this one came my way!

Oh, this is wonderful. Autumn is my favorite season and I can smell the dark smoky golden air. Something like spiced cider swirls around in the background. It smells like spiced desserts, pumpkin pie and spice cake, although it is not what I would consider a foody scent. The smoke mingles with the spices and creates a wonderful incense note that gives this blend a mischievous quality.

This was a frimp from a purchase... I'm hesitant but curious to try this one. Hmm, spicey boozy notes with a faint sweet sugar... reminds me of Gingerbread Poppet - scorched. This is sweaty, thick and unpleasant in the imp. On me? It smells... it smells just like Gingerbread Poppet, actually. Interesting. As it dries, this gets a faintly "overcooked" Gingerbread Poppet smell to it. I really don't see a difference between the two scents which is fine with me. I don't mind Gingerbread Poppet and I diDevil's Night't really think I'd like Devil's Night. Dry and warm, this is peppery, reminding me of Three Witches layered over Gingerbread Poppet... sweet but spicy and ... very interesting. Still... this isn't for me.

It's rich and autumn like, but I agree with other people in that it's a lot lighter than I was expecting. I can smell a foodiness in it too, almost like one of the Monster Baits.

I like it, but it's not something I'm in a rush to horde.

This smells a bit like the wet leaves part of Samhain, except that there's smoke on top, so perhaps it smells like burning leaves. It's boozetastic and slightly sweet. It's mostly sweet smoke (from the burning of the leaves) with an undercurrent of buttered rum. It's a nice scent, but not all that exciting for me.

Devil's Night is dusty cocoa, sandalwood, and spice (cassia?) on me. It is not overtly foody, and has a pleasantly bitter undertone. DN will definitely get some rotation.