Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Black Cherry

Remember making Kool-Aid as a kid? One of my dad's favorites for us to make was black cherry, mixed with lime, for our own version of a cherry limeade.

This is it; Beth's hit the nail on the head - sweet, tart, and powdery! This isn't the Kool-Aid after you've added sugar, this is the powder pouring into the pitcher of water, waiting for the sticky-sweetness still to come.

Yummy! :P

wow, it's so funny how differently people's chemistries react to these oils. I got the exact same imp's ear from the lovely jj_j in a swap today, and out of the vial it smells chemical-y, exactly like cherry-scented fingernail polish remover, I can smell the acetone. On my skin, it sweetens out and the chemically smell dissipates, but the extreme sweetness takes on a nutty or oily flavor that reminds me of incense being burned. In the drydown it begins to smell more and more like, weirdly, corn oil being burned, as in some Buddhist temples I've been in in new york's chinatown. It's a very rich, sweet black cherry scent, to be sure, but there is none of the tartness of cherries (or of cherry koolaid loaded with citric acid :P ). Instead, there's this nuttiness, like cherry incense. It's a rich hippie-shop smell that some might love. But then, obviously, it might not smell like this on you at all!

This is the cherry that's used in scents like Hearth and The Red Queen. I can easily identify it as such, but it smells somewhat different on its own. It's very sweet, with only a hint of tartness, and it does smell a lot like Kool-Aid powder. It also smells somewhat synthetic to me even though I know it's a naturally-produced oil, I suppose because it's so very strong. The only other things that smell that strongly of cherry are cough medicines, so I think I'm subconsciously associating the two.

In the vial and first on my skin, this was nothing but nail polish remover. :P Really sharp and acrid. It mellowed down slightly, but was still way too artificial for me. I usually adore cherry scents and I really wanted to like this, but it just didn't agree with my chemistry. *sobs*

I really like this, and think it smells more of a true cherry than the cherry single note.(If that makes any sense at all!)

This one also didn't burn me like the Cherry did, so a winner for me.

I don't know how often I shall wear this but it's certainly nice to have on hand!

I can smell the cherry goodness from within the envelope. :P

In the Bottle: Cherry nail polish remover??? :D

On Skin: Gawd. Sweet smelling tasty cherries. It's a bit overwhelming. Smells like... cherry Jolly Ranchers.

On Drydown: This sweet fruity thing.

After 15 more minutes, the scent turns almost sticky on me.

Verdict: Loved it at the beginning and was hasty in my profession of love. But it gives me a headache at the end. Sad... but I will have to swap.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Mmm, cherry. Beth's cherry scent has never struck me as the scent of fresh cherries, but I love it all the same. This is the familiar note in The Red Queen that I like so much, only a little sharper and spicier. Again, mmm, cherry. :P

Bottle (Imp): Smells like black cherry koolaid.

Just On: Smells like black cherry brandy.

An hour or two later: Odd, an antiseptic tinge to the black cherry brandy scent.

Around 6 hours: Just a tiny hint of that antiseptic scent, a little bit of black cherry.

12 hours: It's gone.

Overall: It's black cherry all right, but it certainly morphs more than I would expect.

After reading other reviews: The antiseptic thing must have been what others got as nail polish remover. It works, but isn't something I'm going to go nuts on.

BPALBlackCherrySN.jpg

BPAL blends which include Black Cherry single note as one of it's ingredients:

Fruit Moon, Hollywood Babylon, Vice.

In the bottle

Oh yummy.

On

Hmm. Smells better in the bottle. It's a bit cough medicine-like on my skin.

It has good throw though.

30 minutes

It lasts for quite a while, and hour and a half later it's still there.

Throw:

more than average

Scent category:

Fruity

Summary

When wet, it's a bit cough mediciney but nothing gross or anything.

It's takes on a "smells like a band-aide" smell while drying on my skin.

Dries to a cherry somewhat medicinal scent.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

Via the single note swap circle.

Dark, dark, but kind of sweet scent. Strong, dark, and biting on me. Uncomfortable medicinal tinge that I remember from childhood--probably an unfortunate side effect of some cough syrup or another. I certainly couldn't wear this by itself, but I can smell it as a component in other blends that I like.

This is one of my favorite singlenotes. First on, I can smell the comparison that others have made in saying that this smells a bit like nailpolish remover.

The drydown is so sweet and lovely though. It is reminiscent of black cherry Kool-Aid powder. After about 15 minutes it loses that tart powdery stage and becomes a wonderful sweet cherry. It smells like a dark rich purple. :P

I usually don't care for fruity scents, but I love this. It's one that I would actually wear alone.

In bottle: Syrupy sweet, it is a classic cherry fragrance. Not fresh cherries off a tree, but the synthetic cherry-candy and cherry-medicine flavor.

On me: It starts out so heady and strong, but as it warms to my skin it becomes sweeter, creamier, and more powdery. There's still the faintest hint at a medicinal afterthought, but it is certainly cherry through and through.

Single Note: Black Cherry - When first applied, this is not the über-sweet, medicinal, cough-syrup cherry that I often get from BPAL cherry scents. Rather, it is deep and mellow, and only has the slightest touch of sweetness. It’s a beautiful scent. As it dries down, it becomes very rubber-smelling, almost like a band-aid, and while I can still smell the cherry in it, that “hospital supply cabinet” scent detracts from the the nice aspects of the scent. This is a single note I was really hoping I’d like, but I can’t wear it. Not to mention that it sticks very close to my skin and doesn’t even last a full hour.

In Bottle: Super sweet cherry

On Skin: This is so sweet and again, it’s artificial. This doesn’t smell like cherry the fresh fruit, it smells like cherry chapstick or cherry flavored candy. But that is quite yummy! It’s also very creamy… kind of like the smell of cherry cordials without the chocolate. Very dark and decadent and kind of sexy in an innocent sort of way. I do like it, but prefer it in a blend as compared to alone. It has a very light throw and short wearlength.