Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

London Smoke. The foggy grey of Victorian London

A black tea fougere with tabac flower and grey amber.

Edited by Jenjin

I was expecting something in the neighborhood of To a Wreath of Snow, but for me this is far more floral-forward. Shockingly so, in fact.

Florals are not for me, so considering setting this one aside for a good while to see how that black tea and amber might bloom. Right now it's all tabac flower, but ymmv.

London Smoke is a perfectly brewed cup of black tea, malty and brisk, sweetened with a bright dollop of lemon curd, and garnished with the sylvan charm of young fern, unfurling in the steam. A gorgeous striation of golden light through a smoky quartz prism.

Ok I agree this is hella floral. Breathy, bloomy florals. It stays like this for quite some time, goes, sweet, then dries down soft, ambery, and cuddly. I dont like the first hour or two at all, just too breathy, but the final drydown has some similarities to Grey Columns that I love. 

I'm going to set it aside, too. I think it will age well.

Well, I have no idea what this has to do with London or smoke but I love it. This tea is actually black tea (!!!) with no anise/licorice leanings. The tobacco flower (which, I believe, is also called nicotiana) is gorgeous and melds so well with the tea. I was looking forward to the grey amber (Grey Columns is one of my favorites!) but I don't smell any here. That's ok...it is lovely. I don't smell any lemon mentioned above, and I don't find the tabac flower to be overwhelming at all. This was my first true wear but I have had it since early January. I love it.

Edited by HerbGirl

Fresh first impressions: Well, this isn't a foggy grey scent if that's what you are looking for...not yet anyways. I think aging will be interesting. Wet this is all tabac flower and it's gorgeous. Then as it begins drying I get the fougere. I think the fougere is what is actually giving it the floral quality though. I'm not sure what is in the fougere but it smells like a very traditional fougere imho and it's quite green and spring-like. The tabac flower grounds it and flits around the edges. As it dries down I get some tea (oh and the grey amber begins melding with the tabac flower FINALLY), but it is very "Aziraphale drinks tea surrounded by houseplants in Springtime in London with sun streaming in the windows" which feels like the opposite of the description. 

This is mostly about the black tea fougere on me, accompanied by the tobacco flower, and backed by some faint grey amber. I agree with HerbGirl that this particular black tea has no anise or licorice aspects to it whatsoever. The tobacco flower lends To a Wreath of Snow vibes, but also brings to mind scents like Pediophobia, Zorya P, and Fake News... only, this is more floral (and does not have vanilla like Pediophobia and Zorya P). And I agree with amoray that the floral aspect is probably coming from the fougere as opposed to the tobacco flower itself, but fortunately, after that initial burst of floral during the wet phase, the black tea fougere actually becomes stronger on the black tea on me with wear. I'm really surprised the tobacco flower is allowing something else to dominate the blend, because usually, it takes over most scents that it's in on me!

I like this, but I don't think I need a bottle of it. I think I'll be hanging onto my decant for whenever I want to experience that lovely black tea fougere again, though!

Edited by doomsday_disco

Strangely, on me this is 98% floral - and not very similar to the tobacco flower I love in Zorya P or To a Wreath of Snow or Pediophobia. It's rather... austere? It definitely smells WHITE, almost clinically so, on my skin. This black tea is definitely has 0 sugar added! It's more "fougere" than tea (and I suspect there are other florals in that fougere that I'm amping, though I can't quite tell what they are). I'm going to let it age for a while in the hopes that I get a touch more warmth from the amber.