Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Snake Oil Hot Toddy

BPAL’s perennial favorite, Snake Oil, soaked in whiskey, honey, and a twist of lemon.

Edited by Jenjin

Warm, boozy, slightly tangy-sweet Snake Oil. If you like Snake Oil or Snake Oil variants, you aren't here to read a review, you're here to post one. You already ordered this one; who are we kidding?

I can't shake the visual of Snake Oil simmering on a stove with a slice of lemon, but here we are. Pour it in mug with a shot of whiskey and that's this scent. Woke up with a head cold? Get yourself a hot, steaming mug of honey-lemon water spiked with Snake Oil (and whiskey). It's just good.

For the honey-averse, it's here but it isn't dominant for me, at least.

Edited by elissamay

Spice and honeyed warmth and old friend Snake Oil slithering in, its mossy patchouli cloak warmed by brown-sugared vanilla, the musk a rumble in the chest, with a twisty citrusy sting like a bright yellow lemon dropped in mulled wine. And then! Apples, wonderfully squashy and blushing, stewed long with cinnamon’s fire, cloves sharp spiced pungency, and nutmeg’s gentle hum, chased by a nutty browned butter Manhattan, its rye bite tempered by sweet vermouth. There is a lot going on here, and all of it is lovely.

This is reallyyyy good. It smells exactly like the cocktail + Snake Oil to my nose. The SO is pretty prominent here as it tends to be, but it doesn't take over the whole scent. It's like 40 SO/60 Hot Toddy. It's not super boozy, but you do need to like whiskey notes, in my opinon (which I do). 

I've tried this once, and I've put it on my partner as a scent of the day. Both of us thought that the lemon, whiskey, and honey notes don't particularly standout, even though they can be pretty loud in a lot of scents. It smells like a lighter, fresh Snake Oil to me, but I feel like the lemon and honey in particular are tamer than usual because it's like they've been stirred into a hot drink. There's no use in even comparing this to the other lemon-y Snake Oil variants, Snake Oil Lemon Bomb F*** Up and Snake Oil Lemonade, because the lemon in here is so light that it doesn't warrant it. And the Snake Oil itself is not the musk bomb that I've come to expect from most snek variants from recent years, but actually like Snake Oil... but not as dark (in color), as heavy, or as spiced. It's really like it has become a component of a cocktail for a warm winter's day.

I'll probably get a bottle of this before it goes away. I'm curious to see how it will age.

I love this. Sunny slices of lemon floating in a base of patchouli, allspice maybe (?) vanilla and barrel-aged whiskey. For some reason the association in my brain is Love My Way by the Psychedelic Furs? It just smells like something a 70’s witch would wear. Lovely! It’s super strong and has a good wear time. I wore it all day and to bed, and could still smell it when I went to sleep. I was also told I smelled sexy by a very close friend of mine with a notoriously hard to please nose! Overall 10’s in my book. 

I’m gonna be honest, I’ve never smelt or tried snake oil before, and bought this variant on impulse during the holidays. I love hot toddies. 

In the bottle, I hated it, really disliked it. I was super off-put and noted to not try another snake. I kept opening it every week or so to take a whiff, and scrunch up my face. My feelings on it did not change at all. I thought “well, I guess Snake Oil isn’t for me” 

Turns out I’m just a total dope, and it smells wonderful on the skin. As soon as it hits my skin it’s properly diluted and smells the way it’s meant to. It’s spicy and herbal, and a bit whiskey-y. The lemon is so mild, it just smells like someone’s twisted a peel into the oil, and dropped it in. No juice. just like a Hot Toddy! 

My s/o’s thoughts on this scent were: 

- it smells like a victorian home he used to live in 

- it very particularly is reminiscent of the smell of weeds in Illinois. 

very, very interesting and evocative notes from him. Take them as you will! 

Wet, I get a big blast of whiskey that immediately fades into a barrel-aged sweet note. As it dries, it reminds me a lot of Bobbing for Snake Oil because it's sweet and spiced, almost like there are mulling spices swirled at the bottom of the drink. The honey blends really well with the Snake Oil musk, so it's barely detectable. The lemon is kind of like a slice of lemon dropped into a mug of hot tea. It's not very strong, but it does add some zest to the perfume. Snake Oil and whiskey is a wonderful combo.

I tried my decant this morning and couldn’t stop huffing myself all day. I thought it smelled familiar (I mean, it’s Snake Oil so of course it does, but like a Snek variant I knew) and it wasn’t until this evening that it hit me, this is the same Snek as Bobbing for Snake Oil! There’s no apple, but otherwise it’s very similar to my nose. I do adore this one, and ended up slathering when I got home from work, but now that I’ve figured out what it reminds me of I don’t think I need a full bottle since I already have Bobbing. 

*edit*
jokes on me, I have a full bottle now! 😂

Edited by AbbyNormal