Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Failmingo

Lavender Rosemary Baguette

I know we've had bready scents before and lavender baked goods aplenty, but a lavender bread scent? The idea seems so obvious, and yet it took this long. The Lab also doesn't do many rosemary scents, so I'm curious to see how detectable that is.

In the bottle the lavender is strong and tinged sweet. Possibly there is vanilla involved, but what the sweetness really reminds me of is Japanese milk bread. That being said, there is a robusst crustiness and saltiness poking up from under that, and I think the rosemary would have to be screaming its head off to be detectable through all that, and it's not, so it isn't.

Fresh on the skin I do get like a light, savory olive oil sheen over the whole thing. And that's also when the rosemary seems the strongest, enriching the herbal tones.

Perhaps because of the contrast, the lavender in this strikes me as the flowering kind, like an actual bit of floral lavender standing out against the savory and gourmand notes. And over time what lingers longest on me is that pale, sweet, milk bread-esque pastry note wrapped in lavender vapor-trails. Faintly beneath that I can still detect the crusty/salty aspect but that is such a neutral tone, almost a skin tone itself when you think about it, that it doesn't arouse much attention.

While I think almost anyone can appreciate a bread scent (even if they don't care to wear it), the lavender really does seem to impart an emotional or fantastical quality that makes this a true comfort scent, instead of just a comfort food scent.

flowery

Perfectly crusty and yeasty with a pillowy-soft interior, sprinkled with lavender sea salt and brushed with herbed olive oil.

Edited by Jenjin

From the yeasty tang to the briny sea salt to the herb-infused nuances of the olive oil, this is a perfect bready balance and the baguette-iest fragrance I have ever smelled. I recently read Sara Gran’s The Book of the Most Precious Substance (it is very good, and I highly recommend that you read it if you have not already), and aside from the murders and the mysteries and the rare books and the sex, there is A LOT of food in this book. I’m pretty sure the author detailed every single meal, and weirdly enough, this Lavender Rosemary Baguette perfume is a composition that somehow (?) captures the spirit of the story. It’s a fragrant tableau that mirrors the sensory delights of Sara Gran’s sumptuous literary landscape.

I love Lavender Rosemary Baguette.  Lavender is iffy for me, but I never pass on a bread note, and I've wound up loving this so much that I already went back and placed an order with most of the other lavender desserts.

The rosemary is barely there, but adds a little aromatic, green sparkle to the scent at first, smelling very Christmassy to me, almost like sweet pine.  It's most noticeable in the bottle and for the first few minutes on the skin, and then disappears to leave the bread and lavender to do their dance.  I get a scent of bread that's like dry, brown bread crusts, cut open to reveal the softest, richest, milky, creamy bread interior.  I don't know that I've ever had milk bread, but perhaps it smells/tastes like this and is what Failmingo also described.  It actually smells like a rich, milky cream is infused in the fluffy bread, wrapped in hard, brown crust.  Then the lavender smells cool and creamy, melding into the bread and milkiness.  It's a sweet, cool toned, super creamy lavender that gets stronger and stronger over the hours of wear, keeping that rich creaminess and hint of brown bread crust.

Amazing and unique with great staying power and throw.

To me, this is at its most heavenly during the first few hours of wear, when the lavender and fluffy inside of the baguette reign supreme, sprinkled with a little salt and hints of rosemary (I haven't come across a Lab scent with a rosemary note that has been strong on the stuff). The lavender here is the same lavender featured in the rest of the Lavender Kitchen collection (I've now tried all of those scents), and I think the baguette note is the same one found in Olisbokollike from the 2022 Lupercalia update, only, soft and fresh-baked instead of stiff. The fluffy bread and sweet lavender pair perfectly together, and I feel like this would make a great lavender cloud on which one could sleep (a new kind, where, instead of marshmallow, you get fluffy bread!). Over time, the bread does get less fluffy, like the crust is more noticeable, and not just the inside of the bread, and the lavender loses some of its strength, but never fades completely. The bread also gets somewhat buttery after several hours, so I am left with a buttery bread adorned with bits of lavender, salt, and a the barest hint of rosemary by the end of the day.

I definitely prefer the first few hours of this scent over the butter I get by the end of the day, but I'm not really concerned with my buttery fate, because it's not overwhelmingly buttery, and I think I'd mainly use this to slather on before bed (where I would probably pass out when the scent is at its peak). So basically, I'm going to need a bottle. Really, I should have just blind bottled the entire Lavender Kitchen (although I did do that for most of it). 😅

Edited by doomsday_disco

this is absolutely unreal. the baguette is fresh out of the oven, warm and crusty with a crunchy exterior, sprinkled with fragrant rosemary and herbaceous lavender and finished off with a dash of flaky sea salt. it's herby, yeasty, savory, carby goodness, becoming fluffier and more buttery as it dries, almost like breaking off a piece of bread to get to that pillowy soft interior. the lavender remains present throughout wear, mingling with the aromatic rosemary for a delicious herbal blend that's just a touch floral, complementing the overall foodiness of this blend. i can't get enough of this one, and will be picking up a bottle to slather on immediately. 

The only one of the Lavender Kitchen yules that didn't work for me. In the bottle and on my skin for the first 25 minutes it smelled like amazing fancy restaurant crusty bread!

Absolutely delicious Until that 25 minute mark (maybe when it fully dries down?) When it turns into a weirdly rancid fancy soap smell. Like hotel soap gone bad is the only way to describe it.

Sadly not for me 😔

Fancy dinner bread. The baguette note is the strongest on me, and it does smell particularly fresh and just out of the oven. I think that's the lavender note, which is the next strongest note, adding a warmth and sweetness to the scent. The lavender is more on the foodie, sweet side here, making the scent noticeably sweet, without losing that bread quality. The rosemary is there, but just barely, and registers more as a mix of herbs that got added to the bread.

Overall, a great bread scent, though slightly sweeter than you may expect.