Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

It's the most bonederful time of the year! Wherein even things that do not have bony skeletons inside their skins get treated to cheap plastic skeletons and sold for $5.99 at Michaels and Party City. Worm, you get a skeleton! Octopus, you get a skeleton! And so on! The flamingo does in fact have a skeleton and as scientists know, its aroma is that of the most delicious bitter grapefruit Haribo candy cross-bred with deliciously salty Icelandic lakkrís, spliced with white chocolate. When I talk about my profound love for things that inspire a sense of demented glee, a fragrance like this is exactly what I am thinking of.

What it says on the tin, a grapefruit and black licorice duo. I wanted to like this scent, but the black licorice is too much for me. But, I'm not a fan of black licorice/star anise scents, so I'm sure this is a winner for others, just not me.

On application, I immediately got a mental image of breakfast a freshly cut grapefruit and french toast.

I get a pop of more herbal anise up front, but it's gone quickly.

The grapefruit is lightly sweet, pink, tangy, and a little perfumey.

The black licorice is the grounding/ background note. It's salted with maybe just a hint of maple?

Bpal's grapefruit note tends to go a little 'car air freshener ' on my skin, which this starts to do.

Fun and unique wet, but ultimately too 'citrus car air freshener' on me.

I love & collect black licorice blends. Same with grapefruit, my favorite citrus note! however... black licorice + grapefruit = celery?? Eventually faded to a chewy licorice candy, like I can almost see the yellow/green tooth marks in a bite of that good Australian licorice. Aniseed & molasses. I will have to give it a few more tries before coming to a final verdict on this one. 

I need to retest this, and I don't love posting partial impressions, but I had to share one thing I absolutely loved the first time I wore this: after the initial burst of juicy grapefruit, the scent of fresh grapefruit pith lingers alllll day. That zesty freshness you get on your hands after you peel a citrus fruit has been magically trapped in this bottle. Of course then there's also a lovely black licorice in the mix, and I failed to retain any useful or coherent information to share about how they work together but! I think if you're interested in both these notes you will dig this blend.

I full bottled this because I have an obsession with yard flamingos (and flamingos in general; they're so cool), but I wasn't feeling overly optimistic about the mix of grapefruit and black licorice.  Skelemingo is great on me, though.  The pink grapefruit is sugared and juicy, sitting on a base of black licorice that smells like it's melting into a puddle of exotic, black sugar.  It's quite sweet, but the refreshing quality of the juicy grapefruit keeps it from being too sweet.  It's a very fun, happy scent that has a slightly tropical feel to it.  It makes me think of fresh, ripe, sweet citrus served on a black sand beach.  I'm glad I ordered a bottle of this one 💗.

The first thing out of my sister's mouth upon us opening this to sniff it was "This smells like a drink [cocktail] you would make." She was of course quite right.

It is delightful on my skin, and just the hoped for amount of bitterness. There is a zesty, approaching floral bright pink grapefruit, freshly squeezed. The licorice has its almost biting spice, deep and complex, perhaps backed by some anise, and it balances beautifully with the grapefruit.

There is no extra sweetness here on me, just the natural sweetness that is part of grapefruit, and I am happy for it. I was hopeful that this would not turn into its candy self on my skin, and it did not.