Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Handknitted Witch Gloves

Wooly and witchy, fuzzy and scuzzy, long green fingers tipped with ruby-red nails: raw wool, sweet oakmoss, and cranberry brandy.

I’m surprised there are no reviews for this yet! In the bottle I get the cranberry brandy as the first note which generally isn’t my thing but I love me some oakmoss so let’s do this…

The dry down is so nice! It is fuzzy with no scuzzy! Reminds me of the smell of a local craft fair with handmade wool socks and scarves. The sweet oakmoss is pretty and there is slight tartness from the cranberry but it all melds together very nicely. 

I love the story behind this and the perfume definitely does not disappoint. I think once more people try it, they will be pleasantly surprised. 

I don't talk about fragrances in terms of whether they are masculine or feminine but I will say that this scent is initially, and surprisingly, quite "handsome." An aroma that at first evokes some sort of rare, centuries-old cognac and things being aged in French oak barrels, but then because you have no use for stodgy tradition, you eschew drinking it neat and instead concoct a cranberry Manhattan with bitters and vermouth, garnished with a wooly frizzle of earthen moss because you are actually just three gnomes in a trench coat.

To start with, I get an unusual combo of a forest scent and tart fruit. This mellows into a balanced blend of the soft green oakmoss and the cranberry, with the brandy adding a bit of sweetness. The wooly yarn fills in the middle and smooths out the edges of everything else, making this a surprisingly seamless perfume.

Hand-Knitted Witch Gloves appealed to me on many levels, being a knitter of occultist persuasion myself, but I wasn’t sure what to expect from the blend of notes. I’m glad I took a gamble on it, because it is just lovely and different from any other scent I have.

All I get in the imp is wool and oakmoss. It makes me think of walking through a rain-soaked forest. Green and damp and a bit clean the way oakmoss sometimes comes across. Not soapy, but just that freshness after a rain. On my skin the wool comes out more, the scent becomes less outdoorsy and more cozy. The brandy is subtle but gives a grounding sweetness.

I get fruity sweetness with a touch of wool that comes off candle-y initially.

As it dries, an oak-y quality to it comes out along with a tangy-ness from the cranberry.

The oakmoss peaks out a bit after a while, but it's not overwhelming so far.

Lightly sweet, woody, dusty with a hint of fruit and lightly boozy quality. Masc leaning.

This is also my favorite of the three I tested today.

This was such a hit for me! The oakmoss smells so dewy and fresh, pairing real well with the candied cranberry that seems to sit in the 'centre' of the perfume. 

I only get the wool note after wearing this for 10 minutes and it genuinely smells like sticking your face in a pile of roving? I have no idea how, but I spin yarn as a hobby so I have bags of various roving, and the wool note smells a LOT like trapped air and crinkly little fibres that have been left on oakmoss for a while. It doesn't smell sheepy or like lanolin by any means, it just smells like scoured and hand-picked roving that's a little raspy but still comforting. This is definitely a perfume that would please the wiccan/strega crowd (the only issue is that occasionally, my kin chemistry can cause the wool note to smell a little like hairpsray. The oakmoss and cranberry brandy still smell great, but the wool note can be a little temperamental when you get close to shark week).

Oh this is a lovely surprise! I get wooly oakmoss first, a fuzzy and slightly smoky oakmoss. The cranberry is there but doesn't dominate as it usually will for me. It gives a gently sweet fruitiness to the overall scent. This is very well-blended and stays close to my skin. Doesn't morph and stays true. A cozy scent at that.