Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Congealed Blood & Oozing Viscera

SNIFF IF YOU DARE! Freshly applied it is sharply medicinal, kinda metallic. Like antiseptic in a rusty medicine cabinet. A stinky band-aid. And somehow maybe that is just the congealed blood part - the viscera is lurking. Words like sebaceous and unctuous come to mind. Has a bit of something burnt to it almost?

It becomes a wonderfully icky gross-out scent that you kinda want to keep huffing, and might be a perfect way to level up your gory costume and make it a multisensory experience. 

I was really hoping this would be like Appalling Abattoir or Blood Popsicle because both of those smell really nice on me but this does have a distinct yucky astringent quality to it like polysporin on used bandages. There is that gorgeous "blood" scent underneath and I can tell it wants to shine out as the main note on me but it just loses out to that overwhelming medicinal kind of ozone smell. Will give it another go but it might be like Graveyard Dirt where Halloween is the only possible occassion to wear it.

This is definitely a creepy creeper. A band-aid-type note is strrrrong right off the bat, and has me cringing to put my nose close to my arm. *shudder* Underneath lurks a juicy red blood note, emerging from beneath to give the scent some intrigue, some oozy softening, yet retains its spooky power.  
If you want to be a f***ed-up doctor/nurse killer for Halloween, I definitely recommend this duet! 

Woah!! This isn’t an IDEA of viscera, this is straight up operating room. Sickening bandaid from the bottle, but I dared apply it to the skin with the hopes that the sterile operating room ointments and band aid would disappear. Thankfully on application  the bandaid smell falls back and a spicier blood —and ozone mint (!?) come to the fore. Then even that dies down to spicy bloody guts with the after-taste/smell of bandaid.  This has so many bizarre layers to it. The bandaid is gross straight from the bottle, and thankfully doesn’t linger— at least not in a gross ka-pow sort of way as it does just sniffing the bottle. What lingers on the skin is oddly addicting to sniff as it is spicy and sharp - in the way carnations are spicy and sharp. 

this is one of the very few —if one of the only—that truly disgusts me sniffing the bottle but actually turns pleasant when worn. What a trip!!! It goes::: going in for surgery, being rubbed down in iodine and smelling each metal instrument as it’s unwrapped from the package, being cut open from stem to stern, having some deranged doctor play with my entrails, and perhaps even dying while on the operating table— and yet not even mad about it! There is something warm in there that offsets the sterile operating room, and is oddly comforting. 

what a trip!

Edited by Madame_mina

OK y'all I may be a freak but I read everyone's descriptions and was like "stinky band-aid? GET IT ON ME". I love those kinds of medicinal/band-aid notes, so I grabbed a decant. 

There used to be a small 100+ year old apothecary upsate from where I live and it smells exactly like this. I felt like I just walked through their doors. If you've ever been to any sort of old pharmacy, that's what it evokes. It is strong - I opened my vial and the whole vicinity smelled like iodine/band-aid. Freshly applied, it's purely that: a band-aid soaked in medicinal tincture. You have to like that to like this. As it dries, a lightly spicy blood note starts to emerge, plus a little bit of a smoky menthol. It is definitely an odd and mysterious scent and not for the faint-of-heart, but if you like anything I've just described then you might like it. It really does make you smell like an old-timey apothecary.

I am a fan of industrials and thought the initial reviews didn't sound so bad.

It is truly horrific, stomach turning, masterful in execution. To me, it smells like a hospital room of someone who not in the ER freshly bleeding out but scabbed over and covered in antiseptic wrappings. The antiseptic smell is the strongest, only a small waft of a revolting, nauseating scabby smell. I struggled to identify it as blood because it doesn't come off as iron/coppery forward as blood notes I've experienced before from other houses, so I defer to the other reviewers for that. My skin also tends to amp ozone so it may have been a bit obscured. It does smell like mangled flesh though. In favor of this scent is it does not at least smell like the wounds are rotting, which I think would be the only way to make this scent worse for me. So I think this patient will live.

10/10 will keep imp and never smell it again.

Edited by geophagustapajos

I got a pop of the BPAL blood note right away, over a gauzy cloth smell and antiseptic spice.

As it sits on my skin, I get a sort of band aid smell that reads more like a mix of charred spices to my nose. Nigella seed? Charred cumin? Tumeric, is that you?

It gets a touch metallic and bitter, and is that laudanum? as it warms up.

I like cumin in perfume, so I don't mind this. I like how savory it is.

It gets more bandaid smelling for a while as it develops, but settles into antiseptic spices.

All I did was crack the imp open. I didn't even remove the lid. POW! Cinnamon. I like cinnamon, Chimera is my favorite GC scent, and I am legitimately scared of trying this it's so strong. It's a mix of cinnamon sticks and candy cinnamon and just pure cinnamon essence. 

I pull the lid out and sniff closer. Cinnamon, bandages ... old wounds? For real?

puts a tiny, tiny bit on my arm: the cinnamon remains the strongest note, like a cloud around me, and I think I'm stuck smelling like cinnamon forever now.

interestingly, if I smell my arm closely I get medical gauze. 

wild.

*update - after an hour or two the cinnamon backs off drastically and the throw drops. The gauze seems cleaner too

Edited by Roogna

i could not wait to get a bottle of this. i was hoping for something like vital fluid based on the reviews. this is not at all what i was expecting. fresh from the mailbox so i will def have to retest but first impressions in the bottle i can detect the bandaid all the other reviews are mentioning, very spot on. freshly applied the bandaid note does morph in a way, it’s almost still there in some way but other notes are coming through to change it from bandaid to something vaguely foodie and familiar on me. as it dries it becomes almost like a root beer on me. it’s not root beer as in a fizzy pop root beer type of note but definitely a root beer/cola like vibe, sort of in a medicinal way like birch. smells sort of cold, almost like a snow or frozen note but possibly in a surgical way. very atmospheric

definitely continues to tone down and blend into the drydown. i will be retesting at a later date to see how things settle but atm this is reminding me strongly of the 2006 weenie carpathian mountains.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust