Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Osmanthus, Benzoin, and Bourbon Vanilla

The gorgeous osmanthus/vanilla combo reminds me of Like the Very Gods, though this is simpler. The osmanthus is so pretty and cheerful, with an almost peachy smell at times. I think the benzoin is adding a nice sweet resin to the base, but it's not that strong. The only downside to this scent is that it doesn't have a lot of throw or longevity, though I'm hopeful that the vanilla and benzoin will gain a little oomph with age. 

This is my favorite ménage of recent memory—the osmanthus is a dewy, blushing pink, bordering on jammy, but is anchored by a sweet vanillic resinous base that outlasts the florals on drydown. The bourbon vanilla here helps deliver the flourmand vibes I had wanted (but did not get) out of the mallow flower, honeysuckle, and vanilla trio!

While I like these notes individually, together they're a bit too sweet for my liking. In the bottle, I can mostly pick out osmanthus and benzoin -- sweetly floral and resinous, but with a sort of sickly medicinal quality to it. This improves as it dries down, with the bourbon vanilla coming out more and adding a creaminess that slightly moderates the sweetness. Definitely a floral-gourmand that leans on the sweet side.

This smells delightfully like gentle vanilla apricots for the fifteen minutes until my skin swallows it completely. I've tried slathering to no avail. It's perfectly lovely, but not for me.

intrigued by the reviews though generally not 'a floral lover,' I grabbed a bottle. you know what, I almost get the comparison to apricot. it's such a unique floral, not at all brash or overbearing. I think I remember this from They Shut Me Up In Prose, but I prefer the simpler chord this combo strikes. Fuzzy apricots, heh, because of the benzoin. I wish the vanilla were a bit more dominant, but there's time. 

On me this is a sweet, creamy floral. I have a similar experience to other reviewers that the Osmanthus leans towards being slightly peachy/Apricot with a soft, fuzzy quality. I don't get much of the bourbon vanilla but I can pick out the benzoin adding a sweet, resinous base.  This is very soft and dreamy, low throw but lasts a long time. I'll be interested to see if the vanilla becomes stronger with aging. 

It's definitely a unique floral, it's almost orangeish, but not like orange flower. It's softer, with a bit of spice/pollen. I could see apricot blossom sortof, maybe if there was a crossbreed between orange and apricot. It is definitely more floral than fruity. 

It's not a single note osmanthus but almost feels like one, with a slight benzoin anchor. I wish there was more vanilla too but I could see this being a great layering note.

Kinda gives me Interview with The Vampire/ New Orleans vibes, like if you wanted an alternative to jasmine, honeysuckle, or rose, or wanted a southern floral layering note this would be great. I feel like it would be great over graveyard or other atmospheric blends, stony/dirt, etc, something with more oomph because this is pretty light/ephemeral and not very long lasting.