Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A decidedly warm shoulder: toasted sandalwood, tonka bean, rice milk, and patchouli.

In the bottle this is very woody, a very dry sandalwood with a bit of wintergreen sort of edge. On wet the patch comes in - a smooth patch and the wintergreenish hint dies back. As it dries it gets sweeter and smoother with the rice milk and tonka coming in, and the sandalwood creeps back in as well. It's a snuggly brown scent. Lightly sweet and homey feeling. 

Very woody. Almost bitter, dry wood. Heavy on the toasted aspect, along the lines of bitter, toasted spices. Twiggy, like dried sticks. Powerful for a couple hours. Sweetens up to a lingering rice milk to finish.

This is one of those scents that feels like a spiritual experience to me, so I love it.  It smells like a misty sauna in the woods during winter, suggestions of snow and steam (a little minty), with expensive sandalwood incense wafting through the air and mist.  The patchouli comes through in the drydown, but it's a quiet background note that smells like a forest floor and comforting earth.  I usually don't like bpal's sandalwood notes at all because they turn to baby powder on me, but this smells like elegant, smooth woods and the toasted part like good quality sandalwood incense.  The tonka and rice milk add a gentle, cool creaminess and subtle sweetness that's really enjoyable in the drydown as well.

A very calming, quiet, meditative blend.

Cat Seen from Behind is mostly about the toasted sandalwood on me. The rice milk is most noticeable in the beginning but is fleeting on me, and the patchouli in this, while present throughout wear, is not heavy (I think it's a reddish brown, woody variety). It is a pretty dry scent, and I was hoping that the rice milk and tonka bean would make it less dry and make it sweeter. But at the moment, it's a little too dry with not enough sweetness for me.

Edited by doomsday_disco

My experience is similar to doomsday_disco’s, I think. This is all about the toasted sandalwood on me, too, and it stays too dry—almost bitter—throughout. The sandalwood almost reads as burnt, and I get a sharp, wintergreenish note as well. 

Wet, this smells medicinal to me. Luckily this stage doesn't last for very long. After this dries down, it reminds me of smooshing my face in my cat's fur while he's napping. Front and center is the toasted sandalwood. It's nowhere near as sharp as regular sandalwood tends to be on me. It's dry and roasty, but the rice milk and tonka give it a fuzzy sweetness. I also get some of the patchouli in the background, which seems like a more floral and less sweet and chewy variety?

This isn't very sweet at all on the whole and I like the sandalwood note. This is something to wear when you want to go out on the town for the night and think about your cat at home the whole time.