Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Shaggy and menacing: smoky patchouli, ochre musk, vetiver root, galangal, and cacao.

OOB this is all dry, mildly smoky cacao. As it dries down, there's a lovely bit of bite from the galangal and a warm and fuzzy musk. I don't get a lot of patch, but there's an earthy quality to the whole blend. It sort of begins to move toward a best-version-possible of cologne vibe as everything comes together. 

Would work for any gender but there's a ruggedness to this that would pair well with that kind of energy. Someone who's fancy enough to wear scent but will chop the shit out of some wood.

Update: This one lasts all day, and it kind of takes on a bit of a creamy feel, which paired with the bite of the galangal almost reads as plain yogurt. Not sour milk, to be clear, but an unsweetened creaminess. I'm interested to hear if others get this from this one.

Edited by elissamay

this starts off heavy and rugged, with lots of dark smoky cacao, a little patchouli and vetiver, and a brown-adjacent musk dominating. but as it wears, it sweetens up considerably, and that smoky ruggedness drops to the back as support. what emerges is an almost ambery musk, that bears less resemblance to brown musk but in that same family. it's animalistic, but not cuddly in the slightest. i'm not sure where all the sweetness is coming from, but it really blooms out on me and wow, the more it settles in the more i LOVE this!  it's a sweet and musky, darkly earthy, a little smoky, almost velvety in texture. this is fantastic!

The cacao in this reminds me strongly of Muddy Armadillo, but here it's paired with a lovely smoky vetiver instead of a sticky sweet tobacco note. The vetiver lends this perfume a grassy texture. This would be pretty dry and dusty (and smells this way in the bottle), but the patchouli sweetens everything up nicely. I can't really pick out the musk on its own but there is a fuzzy aura about this perfume.

Overall, I think this is the grassy counterpart to Muddy Armadillo. This is probably how you wish a buffalo wallowing in mud on a hot summer's day smelled.

Foreboding Buffalo starts out with a lot of chocolate on me — and like @dancingchair, I thought immediately of Muddy Armadillo. But it goes to a very different place. The patchouli is present, the vetiver is favor, and the reddish brown musk takes over. So a sexy earthy musk grounded in cacao. Nice!

Foreboding Buffalo is one of my favorites of this year's bpal releases and I wish that I'd ordered a backup bottle.  I can kind of see the comparisons to Muddy Armadillo, but I like this even more and I think that Foreboding Buffalo is very much its own, unique, more complex blend.  The ochre musk reminds me of red musk, but darker and more animalic, with a pleasantly sour yet rich undertone that makes me think of vintage oakmoss in perfumery.  It's also sweet with the cocoa powder and warm, chocolate-y patchouli, while the hint of smoke in the smoked patchouli is warm and sexy rather than reminiscent of campfire or cigarette smoke.  Galangal is one of my favorite notes and the hint of sweet evergreen and spiciness here is just perfect.  It kind of has this drinking an exotic spiced cocoa while hiking in the woods and wearing a vintage animalic and oakmoss perfume feel.  It's so wonderful.