Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fleshy and fruity: guava musk, slick strawberry lip gloss, and blood-tainted digestive juices.

whoa, guava! 
ok...i mean, to be completely honest, i have no idea what guava smells like, as a real fruit or a perfume note.  but when first applying this, i'm blasted with a tart fruit note.  it's a bit like a hybrid of grapefruit and tart wild plum.  as that dies back a bit, some light musk comes out, but it still smells tart and clean.  it's not a heavy musk.  and there's something showing up behind all that... methinks there's something interesting in those "digestive juices" lol. it's doesn't have a huge presence, but there's something dark and bass-y, grounding the higher-pitched fruit aspects.  i can't identify it, and it's driving me a little bit crazy because it's so familiar!  hopefully someone more adept than i at sussing out notes will shed some light on it because... i like it?  it's not an OMGLOVE, but i'm kinda fascinated.  it reminds me a little of Heksenbijeenkomst when it's first applied, before the opium and myrrh take over in that one.

the notes on this one didn't snatch my initial interest, but i'm really glad i got to try it.  it's not a "me" perfume, but it's quite nicely done.

I'm a huge fan of the Lab's guava note, and basically groveled for it to be included in this scent. During the scene in the film when the tongue wall appears, and all of its orifices start belching forth strange substances, something that appears to be fruit salad spills forth from one of them. It really might be fruit salad! So it seemed pre-ordained that Tongue Wall would be a sassy, fruity scent.

Firstly, it's worth noting that most of the bottles I've seen contain a separation of oils: look for little red blobs floating around in there! How appropriate! I like to give mine a good shake, because whatever that is, I want it evenly dispersed throughout use.

In the bottle: guava first thing, and then what I think is grapefruit, probably to give that "acidic" kick that will read as digestive juices. A hint of berry from the lip gloss, as well as that oleaginous note that I Nobodies Watching Wrestling, which I consider the most epic strawberry lip gloss perfume of all time. (I'm obsessed with the word "oleaginous" lately because it describes so many of my favorite scents, particularly within this collection. Apparently I like wearing oils that smell oily!)

So yeah, mainly gourmand in the bottle, but just enough of the musk and gloss there to suggest that... maybe don't eat this. For kissing, not for eating! Just delightfully fruity and sweet/tart but soft and musky around the edges.

On the skin:

It smells pink, soft, and wet, in the most appealing way. I love that the guava is tempered with these other scents, it draws an eerie sophistication out of what would otherwise be... fruit salad, I guess! The gradient from guava to musk is so smoothly blended, it's hard for me to tell where one ends and the other begins. There really may be dragon's blood resin in this, hence the "blood-tainted", but it would similarly compliment this brew so seamlessly that I don't trust myself to call it. Thanks to the musk asserting itself a little more, you really do get a sense of the Tongue Wall's overall immensity, not just the pulpy lips and tongue. She's a complex lady, with complex needs. There's something salivary about it, and I know that sounds gross, but it isn't. Just... a slickness, a warm humidity. It's really nice! Hard to tell which phase I like more, the "juice is loose" fruity stage when fresh out of the bottle, or this warm, easy-riding, fruit-stained musk. Fortunately I don't have to choose, I can just keep re-applying! 👄 

Wet: candy, taffy guava with candy seeds. Pretty sweet. The strawberry blends with the guava to make a tropical pink fruit scent.

As it dries down the guava distinctness softens towards a more general starburst sweetness.

This is lovely! I get lots of guava and strawberry lip gloss. The lip gloss really does have a glossy aspect to it, but there's also a strawberry jam-like quality to it to prevent it from being completely artificial strawberry to my nose. These two notes really go well together, although the strawberry does overtake the guava eventually on me instead of running hand in hand with it throughout wear. Now, we all know that Beth can do weird scents and could concoct a digestive juices accord and whisk it in here and make us all wonder why we decided to put it on our skin, but I'm not getting anything akin to the bile in Bitch Planet here, so I think, like Please Scream Inside Your Heart, it is a part of the copy. However, I also had my partner try this, who said they got something savory behind the fruit notes, although I couldn't smell what they were talking about.

If you love guava, and can do strawberry (that manages not to go plastic, woohoo!), don't be afraid of the digestive juices and give this a try. I think it will be wonderful during the summer months.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Bright, tart, juicy and fruity! Guava dominant for sure- if you've ever had those delicious little guava candies that are sold at every Asian grocery store, this is pretty damn close to the taste of those. The strawberry is supporting and there's something a little strange going on- it's got an acidic bite to it. I agree with the comparison to heksenbijeenkomst, there's definitely something in this that reminds me of that blend. This is really yummy and fun!