Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MiasmaResonance

Marche Funèbre en Memoire de Maxamilieni

Juniper wood, styrax, leather accord, blackened honey, and amber.

Wet, this is very heavily !woo juniperwood! and a heady, almost metallic leather note, which has to be the styrax jumping in?

Drying, it's still very intense, deep and dark, and if there's amber or honey, it's really hiding itself well under the other notes.

This is strangely sexy, and I wouldn't mind if my boyfriend wore this. It's an interesting scent for sure. A sweetness that lingers underneath, the amber and honey, has just enough of a presence to keep this from being overwhelmingly green/leathery as it dries.

This one makes me want to keep taking a whiff, for sure. I may come back and edit this later/add to it!

Super-sharp leather in this one - I'm assuming the styrax comes into play there - and at some point it goes unrepentantly sour. I'm sure this will work wonderfully on skin that is not mine.

Edited by LadyMedb

So yeah, honeyed plasticky leather on me. The leather isn't truly awful, but neither is it really very good at all.

Pass.

Tzi

When it’s wet the juniper really stands out. As it dries it’s ALL leather, with the juniper relegated to the background with a touch of honey. After an hour or so, the leather fades and it’s primarily a warm amber/honey blend on me.

Sweetened leather with a hint of greenery. This is nice right out of the mailbox, but it'll probably be even better with some aging. :yum: If you liked the Marquis de Carabas, give this a shot.

So disappointing. I just can't wear juniper at all.

The first note I get is the leather from Fighter, followed by a cleaning fluid like juniper and some light honey. Nope.

In the bottle: Heavy on the leather with a bit of juniper in there.

Wet: Mostly a heavy leather.

Dry: Leather with a hint of juniper and sweetness. Eventually the leather wears off to get a wonderful spicy green wood scent with a hint of sweetness. Love the decant I got but I don't think I'll go for the bottle.

Another dark Philharmonic! I'm getting earthy vetiver and leather mostly. This isn't me at all, and I don't think I'd like to smell it on a guy either. It is just too aggressive and dark.

DeSade, is that you?

Okay, so this one is a black leather note that isn't totally chemically, but it's still like shiny new black leather. I get hints of juniper, amber, and honey, which soften the black leather up... some.

But my original impression sticks. This is DeSade, but less scary. Like he's dressed up for the holidays. He's making an effort to be less... well, DeSade and much more pleasant.

And while I applaud the effort, overall, it's still too much BLACK LEATHER for me.

Testing on inner elbows because I tested Elegy on my wrists.

In the imp: Newly-cleaned leather, like that "new car" smell. I've never really been a fan of new car smell (it's nice to know that it's clean, but that scent gets on my nerves after awhile). I think it's the styrax (benzoin) and juniper giving it that scent, though it's slightly sweetened by the honey,

Wet on skin: Still "new car." It's actually somewhat aquatic - like the cleaning solution is starting to overtake the leather. I think it's the combination of juniper and benzoin that's making me not like this, since I tend to like them individually on their own (well, benzoin, at least).

Dried down: Still the same.

Throw: I'm getting a mild throw off of this - it's a light aquatic scent, with a hint of the honey. Not bad, but not what I was looking for.

Verdict: *** Admittedly, ZZ's review got my hopes up that this might turn out to be similar to De Sade, but it's not quite close enough for me. I'm wondering if I would like this scent a lot better without the juniper wood. Oh well. I may try my decant again in the future, and see if I can search out a bottle then, but I don't think I need it right now.

Straight out of the bottle, this reminds me of a nurse's office! Antiseptic solution and rubbing alcohol. Oof!

Fortunately, that quickly morphs into leather and woods. There's still something sweet and medicinal (the styrax or benzoin?). I usually love benzoin, but I don't care for it here mixed with leather. It's too sharp and astringent. The honey and amber are nowhere to be found.

Dries down to straight up leather, pretty strong. I'll try it on my husband.

On wet, it's a lot of juniper with the leather muscling its way to the front almost immediately. I like juniper, and was worried the amber would go powdery or the honey would go too cloying, but none of that is happening. I'm getting a very pleasant, soft herbal leather scent. Very nice. Not quite my thing, but glad I got to try it.

Marche Funebre is odd on me. Not bad at all, but not what I expected from the notes. I get predominantly leather mixed with what seems to be the dust note from Writing on the Slate or Adam. I'm not sure how my skin reconfigured juniper, honey and amber to get dust, but that's what it does, and it doesn't morph on me at all. Soft, dusty black leather, unisex, and it's not at all strong on me. I may pass this decant on to someone who can appreciate more of the notes.