Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Silvertree

Merry Owls on Velocipedes and Tricycles

Snowy-covered Lenten roses, fuchsia camellia, winter heath, and primrose

with a flutter of ambergris-gray feathers and boughs of frozen cypress.

Shrubby, icey florals. Less Pink Snowballs, more Snow Covered Landscape and Winter Night Figure on The Bridge, how those create a winter scene/atmosphere where it's more about the other notes with snow supporting. 

The snow-covered, frozen, ambergris grey feather vibe is effervescent at first, not piney, not sweet. The cypress behaves, adding greenery to the scene but not dominating, although it does brighten and sharpen the blend. There is something mentholic that gives it a Move, On Please vibe (before that went Wonksville).

This brings to mind cold, dark ivy and heirloom shrubs with flowers covered with frost. The rosey florals are unique. I'm not the biggest fan of the sharp mentholic stage, but this has potential to settle into a great frosty floral blend so I'll hold on to it.

3 hrs later and it's sweetened up a bit in a soft snowy floral w/ a bit of menthol. Very nice!

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

Unless I happen upon testers/decants of Up the Stairs We'll Dance the Tango and the remaining Snow on Snow scents that I didn't try, I think this is my last review from this Yule update!

This was a last minute decant that I added on to my decant order, and it is, as I expected, not a sweet enough rose for me, but it does smell like the art that inspired it! I get non-minty snow, rose that's akin to tea rose, and ambergris, with only a hint of cypress (which is more noticeable early on than several hours later). The ambergris increases in strength over time, adding an almost amber-like muskiness to the scent, but it never overtakes the rose. It ends up being a perfume-y rose scent by the end of the day.

While this scent is not for me (I either want a sweet rose or an "I Am the Queen!" sort of rose), I'm glad I ended up trying it.

Edited by doomsday_disco

The art/inspiration for this alone is SO cute, i had to try this. This is a soft mix of fluffy florals, and somehow they've almost cracked how feathers can smell sometimes. Well, the feathers on my 'lil bird, my mom's bird smells quite different, but feathers do have a specific... feather-smell. I don't wanna say dirt- or patchouli-ish, but whatever it is that's close. The rose is at first there, but gets eaten on my skin. There's a snowy soft cypress in the background. 

A warm, cozy floral. Rose is noticeable but gentle at first and blends more with wear. I dont get a lot of snow in a way that I recognize from other blends, but there is a somewhat wintery vibe despite the coziness. It is oddly softly fuzzy, and a very good take on the art that inspired it. This is one of the first scents that feels gray to me, but a light gray with some warm pinkish undertones.

I ended up ordering more based off the decant, its a lovely floral, light but cozy nonetheless.

I ordered a bottle of this in a weak moment because I love owls, but I'm surprised that I actually really enjoy this scent and it's become one of my favorite Yule blends.  Merry Owls is such a fairy tale rose scent, like the most beautiful, sweet, dewy roses somehow growing out of glittering ice (but no mint or snow note on me, somehow an impression of creamy coldness and a scent like evergreen encased in ice).  There's a slightly woody, slightly herbal, sweet note that makes me think of rose thorns as well.  After an hour, there's a creamy, soft, lotion-like scent to this and it reminds me of a grown up version of Pink Snowballs.  The blend leans quite sweet on me and I really enjoy it.