Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sitting in a darkened theater in a rainstorm circa 1935, marveling at the alchemy that transforms scribbled words into specters of light, shadow, and sound: dripping umbrellas, a nicotine haze clinging to musty velvet curtains, camphorous vapors rising from strips of hot celluloid.

Oh, this is so interesting, and a morpher! The ozone and rain from Lightning are particularly prominent in this Lightning variant throughout wear (with the salty sea spray joining in later). I got a bit of citrus from this during the wet phase, and I don't know if it were some lemon-y aspect from the ozone or what, but my first thought was orange. I also got what I think may be the velvet curtains. Then I got the dripping umbrella note, which has a latex-like quality to it to my nose. This phase lasted on me for a while. I have no idea what hot celluloid is supposed to smell like, but I definitely did smell something that smelled hot at one point (but not cinnamony!), and the tobacco is present, too, with just a bit of it peeking out early on, but it becomes much more noticeable with wear. By the end of the day, it's the rainy ozonic, slightly salty aquatic of Lightning swirled with tobacco and what I think is the velvet curtains.

I was debating a back-up bottle of Summer Rain from the Lilith update, but this is such a unique atmospheric rain scent that I may have to grab a bottle of this instead.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Very atmospheric! It opens with ozone/rain and a sweet note. There's a hint of something like an old-fashioned women's perfume, and then as it settles in I get what must be the velvet curtains (warm and a little dusty) and just a hint of tobacco (just a hint is perfect for me, as I don't like it as a strong note). 

I will admit, I'm a huge fan of the Captain America movies and when I read this scent description it was the thought of "young Bucky Barnes taking a date to the movies before the war" that tipped me over into buying it. Definitely one of my nerdier perfume motivations, but I'm pleased to say that it does not disappoint.

Rain, rain, rainy rain. Lightning Strikes Literature has ozone in it but Lightning Strikes Cinema is powerful essence of dripping umbrella and soggy wool with velvet curtain in the background.

I can't say it's not soap, but it's not painfully acrid like many soap scents either. I sort of get a vinyl or acrylic cloth note, but it's not offputting.  This ozone actually makes me think of water for once. Maybe I'm easily influenced right now, but the scent evokes a cool movie theater with a raging thunderstorm outside.

I'm concerned my perception could change over time, but we'll see.

Edited by patina

Creamy nicotine florals, whiff of ink and celluloid. Surprisingly wearable. Almost like an old cinema star. Medium throw and wear length.

Shadow of the Vampire. If you’ve ever seen the movie Shadow of the Vampire with Willem DeFoe and John Malkovich, this is that movie given scent form. The old gothic mixed with the new magic of the moving pictures.