Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Its Own Sweet Will Is Heaven’s Will

Self-delighting radical innocence: amber-haloed fig fruit and caramelized chestnut with rose resin, clove bud, cardamom, and galbanum.

In the bottle: Warm, spicy resins!

Wet on my skin: This goes on spicier and more resinous than I think I was expecting, but in a good way! Amber, rose resin, galbanum, and clove bud are at the forefront, and I can tell the notes beneath those are rich and complex. There's something about it that reminds me a little bit of The Midnight Carnival, from the OG Last Unicorn line. 

Dry: This doesn't change a whole lot as it dries, aside from mellowing just a little bit. It's a bit smokier and spicier than I'd expected, but again, in a good way! Warm, spicy, and really pretty. The amber, rose resin, galbanum, and clove bud remain the more prominent notes, and the cardamom, chestnut, and fig add some extra warmth and a little bit of sweetness. The fig in this is dried rather than fresh, juicy fig, and is definitely more of a supporting note than a main player, so be aware if you were hoping for a juicy fig-forward scent. It still reminds me a little of The Midnight Carnival, and I think that must be the galbanum, because it's fairly prominent in both scents and gives them both sort of a "magical bonfire smoke" sort of feel (at least, on my skin). It is slightly on the masculine side of unisex, which is something I personally don't mind at all. Overall, glad I grabbed a bottle of this! I bet it'll be even better after some aging. 

I expected this to be more fig forward, but am 100% OK with it not being. I also wasn't sure what to expect of the rose resin (what part of the plant would it emphasize?) and am happy to report that it provides a noticeable, but not overwhelming, rose petal flair. It sits atop of the galbanum and spices, eventually melding into them. All of this sweetened by fig, and given a glow from the amber.

I really enjoy this several hours in when it becomes a woody resin sweetness that lingers for hours. (I dabbed some between my breasts, and the fella commented on how much he liked the scent when we were enjoying Friday cocktails on the back porch, several hours after application.)

10/10 for this beauty!

I bought this hoping it would be a nutty, warm fig scent for Thanksgiving, but the fig really isn't prominent at all. This is more of a very-well mixed blend of spices on a foundation of something fruity, and when it dries, it turns a little alcohol-y on me when I wear it on my skin, but it works great as a room scent in my oil diffuser.

Actually, after another 30 minutes, this becomes a truly beautiful warm, spicy, fruity fragrance that has more throw than I expected.

Unfortunately I amp the rose resin in Its Own Sweet Will, and that’s all I get here. Rose and galbanum. No fig or, sigh, chestnut; no spices. I’ll try letting it rest a couple weeks to see if it balances out at all. If not, I’ll avoid rose resin in future!