Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Carnal

Bold, bright mandarin paired with the sweet, sensual earthiness of fig.

Carnal is a nice spring scent. I kept thinking it smelled like something and all I could think of was pearberry and BPAL Juliet.

Pears are the scents from both of those that stuck with me. That is how Carnal stands out on me.

Bottle

The scent reminded me of one of those spicey orange clove pommanders....excpet that the fleshy orange part would be a giant ball of fig, then a bit of rind, all stabbed with spicy bits.

Wet

The fig mixes well with the spicy mandarin, and there is a gentle illusion to one of those country candle craft stores (except that it smells good). The scent also gives me the imagry of a Christmas store with lots of white twinkly lights overhead. The fig is complimented by the mandarin (and bright is a good description of it) and I am not sure where I am getting the spice from but it grows.

Dry

Spicy and beautiful but shortlived.

I realize the fruity note in Carnal is supposed to be fig and not apricot, however:

Carnal's fragrance is identical to the apricot tea cakes my mildly crazy great-aunt used to make when I was a small child. She was a bit of an eccentric; she always had at least 12 cats at any given time, and when I came over she would always give me these little cakes with apricot filling and a nice layer of cat hair on top.

I loved Auntie and her cakes, didn't notice the cat hair, and didn't understand why my mother would always quietly (and uselessly) discourage me from eating them. Auntie passed away when I was 10. Carnal took me back 25 years in an instant, to the huge oak table in her big sunny kitchen, eating apricot/cat hair baked goods.

My mother was here today when my Carnal imp came in the mail, and we talked and laughed all afternoon about the memories it brought of one terrific lady. This is a must have bottle; I will wear it in remembrance of my wonderful great-aunt Eva, and her boisterous laughter.

If Beth comes up with a scent reminiscent of Auntie's Christmas spice cake with cream cheese/cat hair frosting, I'll be first in line!

In the imp: A light, fresh sort of fragrance.

On, wet: Mandarin, with an undertone of something. One assumes fig, but I can't pick it out, exactly.

Later: Stays pretty true to the wet scent -- fresh, cheery mandarin, with just a little something else to give it some ooomph, and some sweetness. Yummy!

Before I review, I will mention that I have a tarted imp, won through an Ebay sale. So, I don't know if the aging will have made a difference.

Sniffing the imp: Oh, pure, sweet orange. Like a Christmas orange! Wow, the regular BPAL scents I have been trying today are really reminding me of Christmas...I guess it will be here before you know it, and there is getting quite a chill in the air here!

Wet on wrist: Sweet, sweet orange. It still reminds me of a Christmas room spray scent.

But I quite like it!

Drier: I walked outside for a moment, and the cool air blew this scent back into my nostrils and wow, it smelled great! Still like Christmas oranges, but it had more of a tang to the sweetness.

Dry: The orange has faded and it is a bit more perfumey now. I never quite got the fig which is great cause I don't like it in blends much. This is beautiful, though, and I will wear it again, and maybe even use it in an oil diffuser and scent the room while I am decorating the Christmas tree...which is coming sooner than I think!

I'm not entirely sure where they got carnal from this, but that's fine.

It's a nice scent, though: like a Body Shop satsuma with something almost vanilla-like underneath. It makes me happy.

In bottle: I can smell the notes individually and the contrast between the fig and mandarin is a bit jarring, but in an interesting way.

Wet: This is one of the most interesting blends I've come across. The fig and mandarin work with and against each other. The mandarin smells fruitier on me than usual, perhaps due to the earthiness of fig. It reminds me March, when winter is fighting spring (at least where I'm from!)

Dry: it smells candyish on me (but not overbearing) and would be a good winter scent. It's very comforting, but maybe a bit too foody for my nose.

Well, I guess my conversion to a fruity scent fan is now complete, because this has nothing but fruit in it according to the Lab description, but I really like it. And my growing suspicion that fig can pretty much do no wrong on my skin is confirmed. I don't think I've tried a single fig-containing scent that I haven't liked, apart from Dragon's Heart, and dragon's blood in general seems to hate me, so I'm not holding that one against the fig.

Anyway, for what it's worth, Carnal definitely smells like more than just fruit. There's an earthiness to it, and a slightly spicy edge, which combine to make it smell a bit more like fruit-scented incense or candles than actual fruit. It's got a warmth to it, and a slightly smoky edge that reinforces the candle-like impression. Sweet, but not cloying, just rich and sensual. And it doesn't seem that overlty orangey to me -- more like some strange exotic spicy fruit that's not quite orange or fig but has elements of both and other things besides.

Staying power, alas, is not great, unless I really slather it -- then I can still catch whiffs three or four hours later, at least from the more protected areas like my cleavage. But it's lovely enough to be worth reapplying, and I expect to go through this imp really, really fast.

Grade: B+

Edited by Miss Lynx

bottle - very very mandarin orange. not orangey orange like candy orange, nothing like that, but oriental orange, mandarin and exotic. almost like kumquats but sweeter. barely any fig or spice in the bottle.

once i put it on, though.. while wet it stays pretty orangey, but once it begins to dry the fig definitely comes out, and it smells amazing.

after much thought, i discovered why i like it so much - it smells like cloves, or allspice, stuck in an orange, like potpourri, but not the fake, nasty kind.

just.. yummmm. it's deliciously spicy and earthy and exotic orange.. i want a bottle!!

side note - i had this on my wrists and the lion on my jacket, and they smelled lovely together. i think the spicy amber of the lion underneath the allspice and orange of carnal would be fantastic together, so i'm definitely going to try layering this sometime :P

O.M.G...I did it..AGAIN...accidentally pushed the back button..and lost my review....UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :P

Try this again.

I have had Carnal for several months now...bought a 5ml bottle straight out because I happen to love fig and orange. Now..I know mandarin is not orange..but it's close enough and I thought the combo would be fantastic. So..now I have the chance to try how good it really is..at least on me.

Intital sniff from bottle: Definitely citrus-like is the most prevalent note I get...of course this is the mandarin..and a touch of sweetness..which could be the mandarin again..or maybe the fig. Don't know yet.

Applied wet on skin: First off I get the mandarin...but it doesn't LEAP at me per se..fast behind is a touch of sweetness..gotta be the fig. I don't know..but right now Carnal reminds me of Siren's softer cousin. Instead of apricot and vanilla..I have mandarin and fig...without the ginger..and it smells really good.

Couple of minutes on skin: The mandarin note is fading to the background and now the fig is doing it's thing. Sweet..with a touch of the citrus..but not cloying sweet..no,no, no..this is really very nicely done..at least on my skin. Funny..this doesn't have enormous throw on me..the fragrance settles close on my skin.

Dry: Mandarin note a very faint memory..with the fig leaving me enveloped in wispy cloud of sweetness..almost smells like vanilla..but not so sweet. I know that fig is sweet..but the fig-sweetness is different than vanilla-sweet.

Lasting power..pretty darned good. I had it on for about 6+hours yesterday before re-application.

Bottom Line: I like this fragrance. I am happy I have a 5ml. Carnal for me can go from late/Indian summer to fall. It is a nicely blended fragrance combining warm fruity sweetness. I don't know if I will reach for this often..simply because I do have Tamora.. and for me she is my epitome so far for warm, fruity scents..but I am happy to have Carnal when I want a touch more fig and less vanilla and amber.

Carnal is simple, but somehow still a little spicy and exotic. The madarin and fig are sweet, but not overly so and there isn't the sharpness that I usually associate with citrus notes. It is a nice mellow blend, and it seems like this would make a great room scent along with being a comforting perfume.

mmmmmmmmmmandarin and earthy, sensual fig. stays for about three hours and a bit and makes me happy the whole damn time. very exotic, oriental, delicious, uplifting but grounding. lovely and a little lusty, too.

I don't usually like fruity scents, but this very much rocked my wee foxy world.

Imp: mandarin.

Wet: mandarin candle.

Drydown: much the same.

Worn: The fig helps keep the mandarin from feeling sticky, and the mandarin livens it up, but there's still that waxy scent on my skin.

Conclusion: it's fun to read how this scent can vary so much on different people! That also inspires me to play with the frimp, trying it again in a week or two, layering, or even waiting for summer. I'd really love to get those earthy notes.

preconceived notion: Mandarin oranges are summer and blue skies, whereas figs are starry, snowy winter nights. I like the idea of blending related opposites together, and my feeling is that I would use this potion as a spell to woo a contrary lover. Or maybe, to wed the difficult-to-marry contradictions within myself into a harmonious whole.

in the imp: The winning note is the orange, which is bright and juicy.

wet: the blended impression is like carnation for me, which in turn reminds me of Maiden. Right now I'm listening to Loreena McKennitt ("let all that are to mirth inclined"), and at the end of the song there is the ringing of church bells, slow and sad. This fragrance is like a chant and reminds me of mass, in much the same way that Maiden does... but here the spicy incense is burst through with golden rays of sunlight through brilliant stained glass windows. Gloria in excelcius deo.

drydown: Instead of making me feel carnal, this scent makes me feel serene. Confident. Like a pale-haired madonna wearing blue and standing on top of the world. The fig is here and comes out more to balance the scent. It's a soft bitable fruit, with that smooshy grainy rich texture that makes figs so singular to eat (and so good for the bowels), but it is also elevated, the mandarin accentuating a kind of Babylonian, Tigris and Euphrates spice.

verdict: Between this and Maiden, it's a very tough call. I could use either and definitely love them both.

post-conceived notion: Above all, this seems like a very thoughtful blend. If it were possible to cast a smell with fragrance, I could believe that this scent has the power for it.

Wet: pure orange oil, sharp and bitter

Dry down: The bitterness fades, leaving a lovely orange scent mixed with clove. I don't know what figs smell like, but maybe they smells like cloves? On me, there is none of the sweet smell that others mention. It's very sharp, bright, and spicy. I love it! :P

Side note: This is also wonderful layered with Bliss!

A perfect cold weather scent, so warming and cheerful. It smells like Constant Comment Tea, which I love to sip in winter. :D

Carnal is totally straightforward. Bright mandarin over deep fig, with both notes equally prevalent and yummy.

I can see this as a perfect scent for days when I find myself thinking "OMG MUST HAVE FRUITY GOODNESS NOW!" I'm actually swapping the imp I have now, simply because I'm still in the "must try everything" phase, but I wouldn't be surprised if, several months down the line, I find myself snapping and ordering a bottle without consciously realizing why. :P

I love Lush's Karma, so a friend recommended I try Carnal. It's a hit! My husband, who has pretty much hated every perfume I've ever tried, loves it. Once on and warmed, it smells like good things to eat; not fruity so much as holiday baking. Yummy, and makes me happy!

Carnal

In the imp: this is very similar to the fig SN-it has a sharp, greenish bite with something sweet behind it. I think the mandarin makes it sharper.

Wet on skin: yup, still like the fig SN, but I think I can just make out a tangy citrus scent.

Dry on skin: now the mandarin is more apparent, and it's a sugared citrus scent to me, like sweetened mandarin juice on top of crushed, just ripened figs. It’s tangy, fruity, a bit sweet, with a slight astringency. Think Fig SN but with an orange like topping. Not bad!

After a while: still fig and mandarin. The fig note 'ripens' like it did with the SN, but this time with the sugary citrus note on top. It now begins to smell a bit like apricot jam…which is interesting, as apricot isn't listed and wasn't there before but the two notes combined create the effect of sugared apricot. Amazing how the two simple notes combine to make a completely different note…is this how Beth makes her bouquets, I wonder?

Verdict: this is very similar to Fig SN. It's pretty much the same fig but with a mandarin orange note added to it, which adds a citrus aspect to the scent, but it is a sugary orange scent which is lovely, and it bonds with the fig in quite a nice manner. The scent is tart and tangy, slightly astringent, but with a definite sweetness to balance it out. It sweetens more upon drydown where it reminds me of fruit preserve and jam. I must admit I prefer fig and mandarin as components in more complex blends, though I must admit they work together nicely in here and by the end there's a little bit of alchemy that goes on between the two notes and an apricot like note surfaces. (It's funny how that happens with these simple, two-note scents-with Ravenous the patchouli and orange blossom merged gradually to make a completely different note come out after a while.) It's ok, but not a favourite. I think it may grow on me though.

This is all sharp and sweet orange scent on me. As it dries, I get a little bit of the fig, but not much. After a while, however, it becomes too sharp, and a little bitter. It's still sweet, but that edge makes my nose wrinkle. A nice scent, but not for me.

Got this as a freebie from the Lab today. First review ever, too. Anyhow.

So there's this dessert my parents make occasionally. You take your favourite dried fruits - in our case, this was usually figs, prunes, apricots, and raisins - and add sweet fruity wine, the juice of some oranges, maybe a lemon too, and some cloves and cinnamon sticks. Then you stew it until it's done. This smells *exactly* like that.

What's bothering me is that the spices aren't listed in the scent description. Does that mean I'm just associating them, or are there other things that aren't listed?

I'm a novice when it comes to BPAL scents, so I'm not sure yet about wearing this. Don't know if I want to smell like dessert, really. However, it does smell amazing.

(Huh. Been on for an hour, now, and it's starting to fade. Pity. Smelling more like Christmas potpourri, now.)

Carnal the word conjures up sexual images and crashing, dramatic music.

Carnal the perfume is rated PG. It's supposed to be mandarin and fig, but honestly, I can't quite pick those out--maybe a little citrus, but not much else--it just smells good. This is like a weaker March Hare, and I don't mean weaker in a bad sense--I find March Hare to be nearly overwhelming, so Carnal is great--it's a more wearable fruity perfume that doesn't overwhelm.

In the imp, I think Carnal is yummy -- sweet, but not too much so. On my body, it smells sweet but acceptable for a while -- it must take about 15 or 20 minutes for the fig to really take off and go into bloom. Normally, fig and I do not agree, because it becomes overwhelmingly sweet, but the mandarin in this blend keeps it under control. The smells stays soft, but sweet -- I associate mandarin with a milder, sweeter citrus smell, and it really does fit very well with the fig. It's not my cup of tea -- I'm not all about sweet fruity scents -- but it really wasn't bad at all on me.

valentina

This is how my associative mind works--I've been thinking about Chinese New Year, so I suddenly want to try (and review) a scent with mandarin. :P I've been unlucky with figs lately, but this sounds like an unusual combo, so here goes!

Sweet topnotes--I would not have said citrus, because what I'm really getting is a super-sweet fig. Venturing into figgy-pudding territory, even. Hm, Carnal for the holidays...really, this just seems *odd* to me. Not at all bad, but not really doing it for me.

Yummy, sweet, and warm are the words I'd describe Carnal with. I wasn't sure how I'd like fig but it worked out. Next time, I'll put more on though, it didn't last as long as I would have liked on me.