Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Vetiver & White Myrrh

This review is coming from a huge vetiver fan - depending on the type - and an overall myrrh avoider. I had to give this duet a whirl with a decant to see if it was the kind of vetiver I love, because that could cover over a multitude of myrrhial sins.

Alas, this is the very mild, pretty but inoffensive vetiver from, say, Azathoth and Sloth and Incantation (GCs) or even Tonka Bean Black Tea & Vetiver trio, which is lovely but does not have a strong vetiver presence. This is great for those who are not fans of the note, or who want to steer well clear of the ashtray kind of vetiver. However, I was hoping for the beautiful grassy, silvery, swoony vetiver that has been in some other trios (like the apple patchouli one), Bloodlust, Death adder, etc. That vetiver never makes an appearance here, alas. 

What does make an appearance right from the get-go is the white myrrh. What makes it white? It is definitely a pale kind of resin, leaning in almost an orris direction. I mean, myrrh is always powdery for me, and this is not the MOST powdery myrrh I've ever smelled, but it has a distinctly perfumey quality that reminds me of the 2021 Liliths and Weenies. Softer and less punchy, but still. Perfumey. Myrrh is by far the stronger presence in the duet. If you are a myrrh fan, this is a very pretty myrrh, and the vetiver that goes with it is extremely well-behaved. I'd recommend it.

But not for me. Fingers crossed for more appearances of my beloved grassy vetiver soon!

When I first sniffed this bottle, I was a huge fan! I agree that it was very myrrh-forward—warm, sweet, and powdery. I applied it to skin for the first time today and for whatever reason, from my first sniff out of the bottle all through application, I've been getting powdered sugar peanut butter notes?? Almost akin to peanut butter balls or tandy cake or the peanut butter syrup from an ice cream parlor. Calmed down a bit on the dry down and some of the truer scent has started to poke through, but I can't disassociate it now. No idea what the hell is going on with my nose lmao. It's very pleasant! Soft and sweet. But entirely unexpected. Will definitely be trying this one again in the future to see if this was just a one-time thing or what

As soon as I tested out my decant for a lunch date, my best friend insisted I upgrade to a bottle.  On me, it's a skin-but-better scent.  Going on wet, it smells powdery and rooty, but that quickly fades and then this blooms on my skin to something that smells like fuzzy warm sweet cashmere.  The wooly sweater notes or cashmere notes of other blends have gone afoul with my chemistry, so I'm so pleased to find my own snuggly comfort scent.  I don't get smoke (hmm.. okay maybe it's 'dusty'?), nor peanut butter from this.  My only concern is "Should I have bought multiple bottles?"  Gender neutral. If myrrh is your jam (it certainly is mine!), then don't miss your chance to try this. 

Edited by rawgirl75

vetiver and myrrh fan here. i was excited to see which one dominates. i agree that in the bottle and freshly on this is like straight peanut butter. not even sweet  or powdery peanut butter for me, just pure nutty peanut butter. i will be tracking to see how it morphs.

freshly on: PB! very foody,

around 10 minutes: i feel like the peanut butter is starting to turn to vetiver.

20 minutes: omg, the peanut butter has disappeared, no vetiver, but there is something powdery and sweet now. there is a slight, slight woodiness under the powder which i think supports very well. 

30+ minutes: the woodiness, which i think is actually the vetiver, and powderiness of the myrrh are more evenly balanced. low throw on the small test patch i applied but this is a really nice warm woody unisex scent. i agree the vetiver is not the typical aggressive vetiver, this might be why the myrrh is able to come through so much