Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Dead Leaves, Blackcurrant, and Golden Champa

There's a faint hint of the dead leaves note here, but as many times as I've tried to find the black currant and/or golden champa, there's no black currant or golden champa to be found. This also dries down to a strange cigarette ash scent which I have never smelled before in any of my two dozen or so bottles of dead leaves scents. Eh.

ETA: And judging from the next review, my bottle was a bad pour or something. I wish I got what the reviewer below got. 😕

Edited by HerbGirl

This is the best dead leaves blend I've ever tried. Like top 10 good.

This starts out with a blast of the familiar dead leaves note. The dead leaves nearly disappears after the black currant and champa come forward. It ends up being an inky, deep scent that isn't overly sweet. It is reminiscent of an expensive perfume, like Dior Poison or something from Tom Ford. It also reminds me a little of Bpal's Insects on the dry down. This is a slinky sexy blend that I may dare to wear during the day, but can definitely see wearing at night. Not at all what I was expecting from a dead leaves scent but I'm absolutely in love with it. Color association: deep purple

Edited by ziggystardust13

Perfumy, but in a good way.  The dead leaves are prominent at first, but after a few minutes, the three notes blend seamlessly into something new.  DL, BC & GC is floral, but tempered with some sharpness from the dead leaves, and a dark, dry tartness from the black currant.  It smell expensive and very autumnal.  It's also probably the most unique of the DL blends this year, in that it could pass for a non - dead leaves blend.  I haven't decided if I love it or not, but I'm glad I got to try it.  

Huh, I wonder if I got an 'off' sample as well. I love DL and BC but it was very hard to pick out any of the notes once dry. They blended into a pleasant dry scent that was nice but not really outstanding. Certainly not a deep purple expensive perfume that sounds just like what I was hoping for.

I can't wear nag champa.  It almost turns my stomach.  Champaca can be just as bad, though not always.  So I would never have tried this had it not been generously gifted to me in a swap this autumn with a bunch of other wonderful DL blends.  Funny thing, though -- I can't smell any nag champa in the decant.  Is golden champa a whole different thing?  I get the dead leaves and a bright tartness that's not specifically blackcurrant.  I tested this a couple hours before bedtime and need to try it again for wear length and drydown but my initial impression is very positive.