Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

In the Shadow Room

Inky black pomegranate, blackcurrant, cassis, red sandalwood, ambrette seed and fossilized amber, pink peppercorn, and guiaicwood

I just got my bottle today, and it needs time to settle from its crazy journey. In the bottle all I smell is cranberry but I guess it is actually pomegranate, lol. It is very juicy, sweet and prominent. I am looking forward to testing this over the next few days!

On skin: all pomegranate! Velvety. After about 15 minutes I start to smell a bit of the amber. Definitely red velvet.

Eta: The black currant and pomegranate are melding nicely and this is turning into a creamy blend. Interesting. I'm looking forward to trying this again soon.

Eta 2 April 8th 2022: I have worn this so many times in the past year and it is just such a gorgeous, velvety, dark maroon scent. So rich and deep!

Edited by HerbGirl

In the opening, I get the fruits, very red and purple and bright, almost screechy, like the bright fruit in Persephone. As it dries, a detergent note comes out, like the one in Snooty Rose (they share some notes: red sandalwood, dark fruits). I was not really enjoying it and regretting my full blind bottle purchase, but then the dry down. OMG. It somehow transformed into the most comforting, smoky, soft, powdery veil of resins and musk. I agree with HerbGirl about the red velvet. I am guessing the amber, ambrette seed, sandalwood and guiacwood come forward, and the fruit is only a sweet memory at this point. I’m keeping it for this stage. Decent throw and wear length.

Inky pom, a hint of blackcurrant, and deep woods. This was a dark purple fruit with a woody background, and in the drydown you get a hint of roses and deep woodsy background, and a touch of sweet amber. For me its definitely purple-red velvet. Good throw and wear length.

This is a deep, inky well of black pomegranate and black currant/cassis, a long space in which to sink down and down into lush, dark fruits. Shadow Room offers that depth.

D

o

w

n...

woo.

After drydown, the blend develops a lot of red sandalwood and pink pepper on my skin, giving it more texture. Hints of other wood and amber waft around. I also get hints of pink roses, though no such note is listed. 

Mostly, this dries into black pomegranate and currant, red sandalwood, and pink pepper. It remains a rich, full, rounded blend, even fresh out of the frozen mailbox.

I'm not sure if I love everything with ambrette seed in it or not, but I'm batting a thousand for everything I've tried so far. This is an exquisite pool of dark fruits when freshly applied, and then it just gets better. Guiaic and ambrette add layers of warmth over the sandalwood, and pink pepper pops out as a top note. Gorgeous interpretation of "a red room, a rich, deep, glowing red, where the shadows glistened as if they were soaked with wine." I could spend a season in this room.