Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Laughing Seagull

What should I try next?: An inevitable thread

It's that time.

I'm 40-some scents in and I am not sure how to tell what I like or how to figure out how to figure out what I like...  haha.  I have sorted the scents that I've tried into several categories to try and puzzle it out.  Any tips/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I would prefer suggestions that aren't difficult to acquire.  I'm cool with suggestions of things like Carnaval scents even though they are unimpable.

As well as suggestions of things that I might like, I am also open to suggestions of "try this to determine whether you like (a key note that is in many things)."  I know patchouli is one that I will need to figure out.

Here are lists.

I would wear this any/every day: The paragons of scent.  These perfumes are ones that never get overpowering, too sweet, get a strange funk to them, etc.  At worst, some fade a little faster than I'd like.

• Cheshire Cat
  • Hell's Belle
  • Bastet
  • Blood Pearl (I think this is discontinued?)
  • Queen of Hearts
  • Vasilissa
  • Chimera
  • Bliss
  • Lightning
  • The Sea Foams Milk

"Similar but inferior": Scents with a similar alternative that I think is better.

• Drink Me < Perversion
  • Obatala < Sea Foams Milk
  • Kali < Bastet
  • Black Lotus < Bastet
  • Titania < Kitsune-tsuki
  • Dragon's Bone < Blood Pearl
  • Eat Me < Chimera
  • Velvet: so inferior to Bliss that it feels unfair to even compare them

Special occasions only/minor problems: These are nice to wear sometimes, but not every day.  Some of these are too strong/sweet to wear for a long time, or have one stage in which they get a strange/unpleasant funk.

• Persephone (burnt hair smell when wet on skin; nice otherwise)
  • Titania (too sweet)
  • Kitsune-tsuki (less sweet than Titania but still too sweet to tolerate all day)
  • Croquet (fades too quickly)
  • Soothing System (could use a floral or something to cut through the wine)
  • Perversion (too sweet)
  • Kumiho (fades quickly, would like more ginger)
  • Eat Me (borderline too sweet, I have to be in the right mood)
  • Severin (fades too quickly, discontinued)
  • Nocnitsa (moss brings it down a bit, discontinued)
  • Tweedledee (fades too quickly)

Not bad but not great either:  meh

• Brimstone (I would not wear this on its own but it's not unpleasant)
  • Kali (Like black lotus and Bastet, but not as good)

Major problems: I cannot with these

• Dragon's Milk (TOO SWEET)
  • Dragon's Bone (morphs into something sharp and unpleasant)
  • How Doth the Little Crocodile (oakmoss ruins everything)
  • Maenad (TOO SWEET, might try layering with brimstone?)
  • Plunder (just generally extremely unpleasant)
  • Jack (generally unpleasant)
  • Grave-Pig (moss nightmare, too masculine)
  • Apothecary (moss nightmare, too masculine)
  • Velvet (chocolate pencil shavings)
  • Zephyr (vanilla pencil shavings)
  • Dana O'Shee (baby oil and cardboard)
  • Les Fleurs du Mal (makes my allergies go nuts)
  • Nyx (Too Much Jasmine)
  • Arcana (I don't like rosemary that much)
  • Kabuki (strikes me as masculine, reminds me of a bad date I went on)
  • Psionicist (100% men's shaving cream)
  • Obatala (too sweet)
  • Sjöfn (reminds me of a bathroom spray my dad used to use)

Based on the above information, I believe that my NOPE notes thus far are oakmoss, honey, frankincense, sandalwood, and anise.  My YEAH notes are, uh...  musks and amber maybe?  I like lotus but I think I have enough lotus scents.

Based on your love of Cheshire Cat, maybe these more citrus-leaning scents might be worth imping:

• Aelopile Glowing amber and citrus, labdanum, verbena, cedar, and oud
  • Night-Gaunt Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek
  • Baobhan Sith Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger (this one was soooo grapefruit-forward for me, but if you enjoy the grapefruit from Cheshire Cat, perhaps it's worth a try!)

Aglea (amber, musk, peach) and Brisingamen (amber, carnation) come to mind from the general catalog.... possibly Xanthe the Weeping Clown (guava, orange, white pepper) or Coral Snake (Snake Oil, blood orange, lemon peel, plumeria) from the Carnaval Diabolique? 

Will def. be picking some of these up while I order an industrial-sized barrel of Cheshire Cat later - I'm particularly interested in Aglea, I just hope it doesn't end up being too sweet.  Night-Gaunt had been on my radar for a while but most of the rest of these suggestions I hadn't thought about!

I think I'll try Snake Oil on its own first before I spring for a Snake Pit bottle.  It'll probably be totally fine, but you never know.

Since I've had so many scents turn overly sweet when I put them on I'm reluctant to trust O, but I may try La Petite Mort and/or Sed non Satiata, which I've heard are similar but more complex.

Feel free to keep the suggestions flowing!

@Laughing Seagull If you are trying to narrow down notes that you like, you might focus on fragrances with small lists of notes. For patchouli, I'd recommend The Coiled Serpent. It's got a strong, classic patchouli that will let you know if you really dig the note. Even if it's not your thing, I wouldn't toss patch out the window completly. You might like it when it's sweeter and in small doses. Snake Oil has a bit in there. Anne Bonny features a strong red patchouli note, which smells a bit different, so you might try that as well. I'd recommend The Lion as a good example of amber, as well as Haunted, which features a prominant black musk.  Light of Men's Lives has prominant beeswax. 

Just based off your likes, I'd suggest Eden (though it does have sandalwood), Y'ha-nthlei, Kumari-Kandem, Brisigamen, Shub-Niggurath (dry ginger), White Rabbit (sharp ginger), Baobhan Sith , Black Pheonix & Hecate (I think both have almond and myrrh), Tavern of Hell, Goblin (if you decide you like patch), maybe Fighter or Paladin to see if you like leather? Centzon Totochtin (chocolate, wine, AND 400 rabbits) Vial of Holy Water (based of you liking Lightning and possibly lavander)

ETA - It seems crazy to me that Kabuki smelled masculine to you. 😝  It's strait up sticky, red candy on me. It could be you are just not a licorice fan, but it might also be that red musk doesn't play well with you. You might check out a few more red musk blends and see how they take. 

Keep in mind, a lot of folks sell discounted GC imps on the sales page. :) Happy sniffing!

Edited by VetchVesper

Thank you for your response!  I've got a bit of Snake Oil and Haunted on the way.  I chose Imp as a "Patchouli Test Run" scent, but will put Coiled Serpent on my list for later if I either really like the patch or still feel uncertain about it.  It's hard to say what I'll think about BPAL patch - I used to use Kiss My Face patchouli liquid rock deodorant, which I adored, yet Yankee patchouli candles make me feel like I'm dying.

(The full list of stuff I currently have on the way is Snake Oil, Sed non Satiata, Night Gaunt, Haunted, High-Strung Daisies, Imp, Hunger, Xiuhtecuhtli, Great Sword of War, Athens, Thanatopsis, and Envy, and of course the Weenie decants I signed up for + a bottle of La Calavera Catarina)

I'm going to go for Fighter over Paladin because frankincense seems to lend a horrible cologne-y quality to everything when I wear it.  Likewise though it doesn't contain frankincense, I'm reluctant to go for Aelopile because I've seen it called "cologne-y."

ETA: I was also surprised that I found Kabuki masculine, to be honest.  I used to wear an anise perfume all the time in college, but after I wore it on a horrible date once I now can't wear it without thinking about that bad date. x_x

Edited by Laughing Seagull

Sign in to follow this