Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Pineapple, White Musk & Blackcurrant

Oooh, firsties!  Anyway, very happy that I got this one; had not seen a pineapple note from the Lab in a while so jumped right on this one.  I expected it to be a fruit-heavy knockout; in fact it's a very sophisticated scent. In the bottle:  A punch of fresh, ripe, cut pineapple core, sweet and sharp.  On, wet:  The pineapple sweetens up just a bit as the blackcurrant starts to come out.  The currant note is more of a sweet currant/currant jam, not like the sharp almost sour blackcurrants that I remember from my childhood (my paternal Grandma had black, red, and white currants in her garden).  Once everything has a chance to dry down, the white musk makes its debut. This particular white musk is only nominally floral; think fruit blossom of some sort and leaning more towards a skin musk/light stone fruit musk  I'd swear I was getting a teeny bit of peach in the final blend.  Medium throw; this one sits ever so slightly above the skin.  This one reminds me of a gauzy peasant blouse worn on a hot day.  

My skin amps the white musk in this for some reason. I really like the pineapple I get; I don't smell much currant, which is weird because usually I amp currant notes. This is light and fruity, but my skin eats it up really fast. Doesn't last a half hour on my silly skin. :(

Edit: just wanted to update and say that one of my sisters loves this and think it smells like grilled pineapple. :) My decant found a good home with her. ❤️

Edited by feyofthefellwood

Not nearly as fruity as I was expecting. The white musk ends up coming across as white tea, to me, which ends up smelling kinda perfumey. The currant is in the background, giving it a chewyness that is nice, but not enough to give it enough sweetness for my taste. Definitely not for me.

Every time I open the vial my brain yells "ACETONE" before I can remind it that no, that's pineapple. Fortunately it's more well-behaved on my skin, smelling more accurate to the fruit and buoyed by the white musk. But then the currant shows up, and things go from 'juicy flirty perfume' to 'tropical B&BW Wallflower air freshener' where it's suddenly simultaneously too sweet and also too sharp and aggressive. How rude! But to be fair to it, I don't have a great track record with blackcurrant in particular, so it's probably just me. The white musk is probably my favorite part of this blend, much to my surprise.

Fresh pineapple, a touch of black currant, and a whiff of powdery musk on the drydown. Mainly pineapple. Fresh and sweet, and fruity. Low throw, and medium wear length.