Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Bergamot

Bergamot has such a clean, citrus, tea smell - I love this one. Yes, it's the scent that wafts out of your cup of Earl Grey tea, but Beth's is pure and light, without the heavy black tea note to hold it down.

Lustrous, sparkling, and very lemony without actually smelling like a lemon, it's like almost all of Beth's single notes - the real thing!

Where is the love for Bergamot?!?!

This is THE best. It's a clean, sexy citrus scent that I love, love, love. Just as jj_j wrote, this is indeed very lemony without actually smelling like a lemon. Not the herbal lemon of verbena or lemongrass either. Very distinct. Not at all like a cup of Earl Gray. Just clean and ahhhh!

Sad that I didn't take the big giant step and order 10 ml before this was discontinued. Very sad indeed because Bergamot is one single note I would use unrestrained in copious amounts.

Bottle (Imp): Quite fresh and watery, and slightly sweet.

Just On: Watery a bit, fresh, and a bit sweet.

An hour or two later: I get some of the citrus scent that I expected now, but it's still more watery and fresh.

Around 6 hours: A bit of citrus, and a lot of fresh watery scent.

12 hours: It's gone bye bye.

Overall: I like it a lot, and would order more if I could.

After reading other reviews: I'm shocked more folks didn't love this and review it. It's a great scent.

Single Note: Bergamot - No one has stated (to my knowledge) if the Bergamot single note is the herb/flower of the name “Bergamot” or the citrus fruit of the name “Bergamot” (both of which smell quite similar, hence the reason the flower was named after the fruit.) Reading the reviews has me believing that most reviewers think this is the Bergamot fruit, but I am not so certain of that myself. The scent is very bright and clean and citrus-sweet, but it also has a touch of an earthy quality that is more herbal to me. (I also have noticed that Bergamot is listed as a “wildflower” in the Arkham Revisited description, which leads me even more strongly to believe this Bergamot is based on the flower, not the fruit.) Either way, this clears up a question I’ve had for a long time as to whether I like Bergamot or not, as I’ve suspected on many occasions that Bergamot doesn’t work well with my skin chemistry. It turns out, Bergamot SN works just fine with my skin, but that slightly herbal quality I detect in it is what I think must run afoul of my skin chemistry – but most likely only when it’s blended with certain other notes that don’t agree with me. So the question of Bergamot by itself has been cleared up for me, but I have no idea now what are the notes that offend so greatly when blended with Bergamot. This oil is really bright, sparkly, and crisp for the first 10-15 minutes, at which point it becomes slightly watery and fades very quickly. The scent has completely disappeared from my skin within 30-45 minutes.

In Bottle: Industrial cleaner

On Skin: Eeek! This smells a bit chemically at first. Ok, a lot! It smells like wood stain. It is very strong and pungent. But more dark than anything… like a woody herbal. As it develops it becomes a little less chemical and becomes more earthy. I still smell wood stain. This doesn’t work on me at all. Wow, not what I was expecting. Super strong throw and long wear length.

Bergamot singlenote is not a winner on my skin. I don't think that I could ever wear this one alone. It's a very tart, sharp citrus (neither lemon nor orange, but somehow reminiscent of both) on me, with some herbal undertones. This is the sort of citrus that makes me cringe, as it's almost bitter or chemical smelling on me, lacking any sweetness that I'd enjoy. Reminds me of some sort of harsh cleaning fluid...

Origin: Tester bought on eBay

initial Thoughts: Bergamot is usually way too citrusy for me to enjoy alone. But it was part of the pack so I test it.

In the Vial: Very herby lemon.

Wet: Extremely tangy green herbal with a citrus feel to it. I rather like it at this stage.

Drydown: Hmm...it's getting greener and herbier. I get almost no citrus at all now. A very different experience from when i've used bergamot room oils and such in the past.

Verdict: Nice to know that bergamot isn't likely to go super-citrus on me in a blend.

I've had a bit of Bergamot single note in my possession for a while, and I can't believe I never wrote a review for this one!

Right off the bat, this is bright, clean citrus--more lemony, to my nose, than orange or other citrus. It is the bright note I smell in Dorian, when it's wet--or, rather, it's the bright note I smell in just about any earl grey tea, as well as Beth's blends that include earl grey as a note. On it's own, though, and on my skin, it...well, honestly? It smells like fruit loops. Delicious (I am a big, big fan of fruit loops), but not exactly a quality I want to emphasize in my perfume choices. Bergamot, at least in large quantities, is sadly not for me.

Bright, clean citrus. It is definitely the smell of Earl Grey tea, slightly flowery. I think it's also the predominant note in Belle Epoque. Definitely has green/herbal undertones.