Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

John Locke

A blend of 17th century grooming products and some Sexy Virgo Philosopher Leather Action: lavender pomade, a splash of Carmelite water, tonka bean, and a well-worn strop.

Lavender fougere, and brown leather. This smells like a sophisticated Virgo perfume. Good throw and wear length.

Which means I'm going to make mr.zee_zee try this on.

If you missed The Mountebank but wish you could have tried it, try this.

This is the same lavender and brown leather from that scent sweetened by tonka. It starts off as mostly being a sweet lavender scent with a hint of leather, but the leather ends up becoming more prominent with wear until it is one of the main players.

This is really lovely, and if I didn't already have a bottle of The Mountebank, I would grab a bottle of this.

John Locke is lavender and spicy leather.  Lavender always comes on strong when wet then is eaten by my skin, so I was surprised that this one stuck around longer than usual.  I was also surprised to get definite spice notes coming through, so I looked up Carmelite water, which somehow I expected to be identical to Florida water.  It isn't.  The first recipe Google found for me included lemon balm and angelica, but also coriander, cassia, nutmeg and cloves.  All the spices, in other words, but in the background, they don't overpower.  The leather is smooth, more like a brown suede than a black jacket.  Anyway, I like this a lot.  If you're a reformed puritan, or like lavender or leather or scents that fall squarely in the middle of unisex, this is definitely worth a try.

what a great lavender/leather blend. It's a relaxed blend, not quite snuggly 

after a couple hours I do get some tonka or carmelite water...and the lavender has died down.

Slap some genteel on your Rogue/Mountebank and you have John Locke. Lavender over leather leads in the beginning. There is a smol bit of soft spices that come thru the mids, I wouldn't have thought lemon balm would be in this, if it is it is not detectable. I could see the coriander, cassia, nutmeg, clove being contenders, but no note stands out. Not Xmasy or Fall, although this would do well in cooler weather. Not harsh, just adding an old world appeal.

The Rogue leather is the main part of the drydown. Maybe a bit sweeter. Thieves Rosin is a strong suspecc in this blend, too.

I really enjoy this and debating whether I need a full as I already have Rogue and The Mountebank. But, if you missed The Mountebank, John Locke is closer to that than Rogue, and worth picking up. ❤️

Edited by RoseThornAndOak
grammar