Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Back in Blueblack

The color of a raven’s wing, gleaming like an oil slick: cistus labdanum, oakmoss, black vetiver, Italian bergamot, chocolate oudh, French lavender, violet leaf and petal, and sweet aged patchouli.

The most mysterious Lavender I have ever come across and I love it, not being huge on lavender fragrances.

In the Bottle: Bergamot and a warmed up lavender!

On the skin: Lavender, bergamot, a dash of patchouli, vetiver...at first a bit powdery or soapy, but quickly transforms into something darker as the chocolate comes through.

Dry Down: Lavender fading to the background on my skin, bergamot, vetiver, a very soft patchouli and hint of chocolate settling down. A slight green scent whispering throughout...

An hour later, the lavender is back, softly, on fairy feet and raven's wings!

If I were attending a fairy ball in Faerie, at midnight, this would be perfect to wear, though I am pretty sure I would never return...

Warm lavender, bergamot, patchouli, and a whiff of chocolate. This actually reminds me to a raven's wing. Dark, shiny, lavender. It's the black velvet equivalent of a lavender perfume. Perfect for huddling in a wingback chair in the evenings in front of a fire, waiting for the tap tap tapping at the door. Medium throw and wear length.

Lavender and bergamot are shouty up front, quite sharp and soapy. Oud reads perfumey here and I don't get any chocolate at all. As it mellows, it thankfully softens considerably. The oakmoss does its beautiful woodsy thing on me, and the vetiver shows up as a gentle wafting smoke. Very dark purple/blue vibe. This a dark and moody, yet also clean and soapy blend. Goth body wash? Actually it reminds me a lot of Nimue the Blood Queen, maybe a cleaner version of that.

This is my favorite lavender I've tried so far. 💜 Although it starts out sharp and herbal, it dries down into something more delicate and subtly sweet with the violet. The oudh really does smell a little like chocolate, too, though it's faint. This will be a good nighttime blend.

In the decant: I am getting some strong lavender, violet leaf, the sweet patchouli also found in My Tiger, and what I think may be the cistus labdanum.

On me: The lavender takes the center stage. I can smell the bergamot, violet leaf, and sweet patchouli behind it. After a minute, I get the cistus labdanum and chocolate oudh, as well as some oakmoss. The lavender holds its place even as more notes clamor for place on the stage. The violet leaf ends up being next in prominence, and unfortunately, it becomes stronger with wear, along with the oakmoss, which I definitely amp. After several hours, it is a somewhat sharp, powdery, mossy, bergamot-y, resinous, smoky (thanks to the vetiver) scent on me. Sometimes, one of those aspects stands out more to me than the others. I feel like I get different things from this on every sniff.

Verdict: I thought this one had promise in the beginning, when it was strong lavender out of the gate, but the end result is a little too sharp and muddled on me, sadly. I'm glad I got to try it, though!