Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A perfume to prevent backflow of blood into your heart: husky aged patchouli, scorched oppoponax, agarwood, olibanum, black oakmoss, and chaparral.

In The Bottle: There's something immediately incense-y about this scent. I'm guessing it's the oppoponax and maybe the oakmoss. It's certainly all I can think about at first sniff.

Wet On Skin: Much the same, but I think the oakmoss is pushing forward a bit more, which I see as a positive, because in the bottle I was worried it was going to be a bit more "head shop"-ish than I would like. The oakmoss pulls it away from that, takes it someplace a bit more spicy and sweet.

Dry Down: Welp, it's shifted back again. Incense 70s headshop affair. 😕 I'm not suuuuuper excited about it, bit there's enough promise that I'm absolutely willing to let it age and see what happens next month! ;) 

I feel so sad that I don't like this. I had to wipe it off cuz it smelled like I hadn't bathed in weeks, & I bathe maybe 1 to 3 times a day... & I love dirty hippy, incense smells, but this one was a nasty no no. Maybe it was my chemistry that day not working well with something in the blend.

However, like with An Excerpt... from Luper 2018, it aged amazingly. Perhaps this one will too. I smelled it again, two days after first application, & I can tell it is starting to blend together. I think this just needs to age in the dark in my box. Love you, BPAL!!

mmmm, this little one is so my current jam, that i've been ignoring other decants to keep wearing it. this is mostly smooooth brown patchouli, with a li'l bit of the sweetness that oakmoss can bring, although oakmoss's fuzzy dusty texture isn't currently happening. the overall feel of this baby is like smooth, worn, unpolished patch-heavy woods washed with incense resins. not getting any barn from the agar, for those who fear such things.  as a lover of the lab's patchouli notes, I'm enjoying the heck out of this cozy blend.  

When I put Tricuspid Valve on, it was all oudh.  Stinky oudh.  I couldn't even remember oudh being in the components, but when I looked there it was, in one of its aliases: agarwood.  I would guess black oudh, from the way my skin was amping it.  In the imp I can smell the patchouli and oakmoss, but it's all oudh on me.  It settles down in a couple of hours, but my decant will go to someone who can wear oudh more successfully than I can.  

In the decant: Oudh, with some tinkly notes (olibanum probably one of them) around the edges of the scent. 

On my skin: 

Wet, it's champion oudhstink. There is just no way to say that nicely. It's like a nice, happy stick rolled around in rank foot odor. Within a few minutes of application, the agarwood does start to fade, and I can detect something vaguely salty, which might be the oakmoss manifesting on me. Given more time to settle and develop, there's something almost peppery in here as well... maybe that's a resin playing out? Eventually, I get wafts of sweetness and smoke as well, but it's still all a veneer over very prominent oudh. 

Sweaty oud-like agarwood and dirty patchouli. I mainly get oudh, and patchouli. Great throw and wear length.

Not for me.

Mine has aged a bit. Still pretty stout in the bottle, but the Patchouli is blooming nicely. Put a drop on at bedtime, & it mellowed so well I plan to wear it more often. It shifted from dirty & raw to smelling like a mellow, dried out patchouli plant in a wide, empty & dusty room to me. Not bad at all now. Keep on aging, lovely.