Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The plant of peace in Norse tradition. If enemies met in the forest and came upon a sprig, they laid down their arms and observed a truce until the next sunrise.

I love this one. spicy, green, smells very familiar but I just can't place it... luckily this is one of the few scents my boyfriend really loves, so lots of kisses for me! :P

I really thought I'd like this one because I'm a huge fan of green and piney scents, but this just did nothing for me.

This smells exactly like a fresh cut Christmas tree...but not entirely in a good way. It's very appropriately themed for a Yule blend, but I just cannot picture someone wearing this as a perfume. It just smells like a Yankee candle. Something you'd scent your livingroom with for a couple of weeks during December.

As other reviewers have mentioned, Mistletoe is not a complex scent, but it is lovely.

I get a very true crushed juniper that does indeed smell like an X-mas tree. I actually kind of enjoy its one-note simplicity, as so many of the other Yule LEs are really complex, and this is almost comfortingly straightforward. It also makes for a great blender, to amp up the other Yule scents when you want more green, and with Rose Red, with which it makes a damn near heavenly wreath.

I get nothing but pine from Mistletoe. There's not much more to say about it, since it seemed to be very one-dimensional. It's bright and green and festive. I think it would work well as a room scent, but I don't think it would be a scent I would wear on my skin.

Oooo Wonderful!

This smells like real live Mistletoe!

Green, piney and superb.

It's a walk in a thick pine forest, as the very first snow fall of the season begins. This reminds me so much of a nice fresh cut christmas tree too. =) Yum!

I had no idea what Mistletoe would smell like. I don't think I've seen any mistletoe that wasn't plastic. It's a very fresh green scent, somewhat sweet and rather piney. After it fades a bit, it smells almost exactly like last year's Yuletide. It's nice, but I don't know if I'll keep it, since my bottle of Yuletide 2003 is still good.

at first: sharp pine. very intense.

on: not as sharp as in the bottle. fresher and cleaner, somehow. i think i'm smelling a combination of pine and cucumber. very cool and clean.

4 hours later: much more of a cucumber scent on me now. i really like this.

7 hours later: a little sweeter now, but in a cucumbery sort of way. this is wonderful.

overall: i'm so glad i was about to get and imp of this. i love it.

Weird.... this smells like Christmas. I had no idea what mistletoe smelled like, but this smells like my aunts house at Christmas time (her home is always filled with green boughs etc at that time of year). There is a piney quality at first, but after drydown it mellows somewhat. The is a very green smell with a sharp edge. I am glad I got a chance to try this LE, but it isn't something I could see wearing all year round.

Thanks to clover for the decant!

First sniff: Oh, this is wonderful. Mistletoe is the very essence of Christmas evergreen.

Wearing: I’m actually glad it isn’t warm and sunny today because this scent would be too wintry. It reminds me a bit of Skadi in that there seems to be a hint of berry-fruit under the green (poisonous mistletoe berries? hmmm…) but it’s even greener, without being at all sharp.

Smells like bayberry oil...yum...very strong and delightful. If it is around next Yule season to buy, I will buy a bottle or two. It's really nice.

In bottle: Pine needles, green, and wood. There is snow piled up on the branches of the tree. The scent is very cold and green.

On me: Very strong. It smells like a rich Christmas tree. Spruce or douglas fir, I reckon. This is a very potent oil; the tiniest daub is enough. Just to echo what others have said, it is truly Christmas in a bottle. I don't know whether to keep it or not; on the one hand it is pretty; on the other hand it isn't something I'll wear. But I do treasure the scent.

Mistletoe

Preconceived notions: I love mistletoe essential oil. Probably I shouldn’t have bought this because I already have some, but if it smells as good as that, I don’t mind having extra.

In the bottle: Yep, that’s mistletoe alright.

On me:

Piney mistletoe, with maybe a hint of orange? No, just mistletoe. This review is going to be silly. For goodness sakes, it smells like mistletoe! But I wouldn’t let myself wear it until I reviewed it, so I guess this is more of just an exercise. I already know what mistletoe smells like, though, and I don’t know how to describe it. Well, it’s piney, and somewhat medicinal, definitely a dark green scent. It’s very distinctive. I love the way it smells. I have candles in it. It’s very lush and pointy-smelling.

In 20 minutes:

Quieter, but essentially the same scent.

In 1 hour:

Mostly gone.

Overall: This is lovely mistletoe!

In the imp: sweet pine, (spruce?)

Wet on me: same scent, but rounder. Very rich. Interesting. I don't usually think of pine as a round full scent. A very little bit of sharpness. Good throw on this one. Damn. This is not a wussy subtle scent.

Dry on me: same as wet. Very stable scent. Nice. Surprisingly rich for something that smells like an evergreen.

Bottle (Imp): Very green and crisp, and the herby scent I would expect Mistletoe to have.

Just On: Oh, this is an evergreen scent for sure, and Mistletoe does smell like this.

An hour or two later: Sharp evergreen scent.

Around 6 hours: A faint bit of evergreen scent, but it's pretty faded.

12 hours: It's pretty much gone, there is the vaguest hint of green left.

Overall: This is yet another awesome creation by Beth. Every time I think there just can't be anymore that impress me so much... another one comes along. Althogh this isn't the kind of scent I wear, I'm just so impressed in general that I squee with joy every time I get my hands on something new.

After reading other reviews: I would have to agree with those who said this isn't complex, but a lovely simple scent.

This stuff is the real deal! Pure, green, spicy mistletoe. It's like Beth plucked a sprig of mistletoe of the Christmas hearth, liquified it and bottled it. Another perfect Yule smell, I love it! I'll be wearing this one all december..... :P

Applying this, the obvious comparison is Hemlock, but Mistletoe doesn't have that sweet/rich undertone and probably not the citrus either. Does it have ozone? There's a woody or cedary smell underneath. Maybe a light overtone of white sugar. This is more nose-tingling than Hemlock. Perhaps it's just a different evergreen oil: juniper instead of pine.

There must be ozone, because it makes me feel a little headachey.

It does stay very true, but due to the ozone-ness I cannot wear it--sigh.

Still, a very refreshing scent. I love the natural scents.

This pretty much remains the same scent on my skin, just getting softer over time. Mistletoe is a sharp, green scent, with a hint of tart, somewhat acrid berries. I get a bit of pine from it, a bit of spicy pine, sort of like the spices in gingerbread, but less foody. Well, just holiday spice, that's warm and comforting. On the other hand, there's a cold layer to it, like another reviewer said, something that's almost like ozone.

I got a partial bottle of this in a swap, and my review won't add much to what has already been said, because yup, its pure evergreen....smells like pine to me, but I've never smelled mistletoe itself so I wouldn't know about that.

No, not complex, and I wouldn't wear it as a perfume, but I love it as a room scent. (my friend Marisa, whose goal is often to smell like a tree, loves it as a perfume, though she loves the complexity of skadi more).

I put it in a little clay diffuser in the car, and it knocked out the previous wet dog smell, and left my car smelling piney and fresh, and SO much better than those gross cardboard pine tree things.....

I'm so torn about this. Part of me wants to wear it, part of me thinks it's better off as a room scent, and part of me thinks that it would be better on my boyfriend.

Regardless, I *love* Mistletoe.

It starts off smelling a bit too bitter for me, like pine but with a cold bite of minty menthol underneath it. But then a few minutes later that sharp menthol smell fades away and this smells like snow covered pine trees have been stuffed into a bottle :P.

It wouldn't be so amazing if this were just a sappy pine scent, but I can actually smell the snow in there as well.

Glorious. And I think that I'll wear this, use it as a room scent, *and* use it on the boy. :D

Thanks goes to Cuervosueno for this impy decant :D You’re the best!

Mistletoe 04 is for my poor nose quite an assault, I was shocked that I didn’t like this much at first, so I waited it out a bit.

Wet in the imp & on my skin there is a very strong Pine type note that hits you like a smack round the face & it’s got almost a bleach type scent, very sterile in he same way as eucalyptus but not eucalyptus scented. It’s a real shock to the system, but it does smell like a deep forest green.

After about 15 mins fortunately this strong, sterile, pine like disinfectant scent starts to dissipate & it becomes much softer but still pine scented, now it is more the pine scent first thing in the morning when you come down to your (real) Christmas tree, & now it’s quite nice.

To strengthen it a little I added a drop of Dirty to it & it’s a gorgeous clean green scent now :D

Thumbs up for this one here :D & I’m looking forward to receiving my 05 bottle :P

Edited by AngelFireHeart

Mistletoe 2004

On first application, this is sharp and fresh and green. This actually reminds me a lot of Yuletide, except without the fruit. I love the scent of mistletoe, the cold prickliness of it, the way it's almost sweet, but not quite.

This doesn't fade as quickly as the other Yule scents have done, though like most scents, I'd have to slather it to make it last. It doesn't take any odd turnings, as I feared--it stays perfect and snowy evergreen until it fades away. Mistletoe likes me almost as much as I like it. :P

Mistletoe 2005

I get, essentially, the same scent I got with the 2004 version, IIRC. The only difference is this one has more throw, which might have something to do with the freshness of the blend, as compared to the aged oil. And I still love it! I'm glad I have a bottle now.

Edited by Voleuse

Mistletoe 2005

Mistletoe is a very straightforward scent - evergreen, and kind of spicy, in a very plantlike way. The grocery store right by my apartment has a small lot of Christmas trees in front of it - spruce and pine - and every time I walk past it, I have to stop and inhale deeply. Mistletoe smells like walking past all those trees.

Probably great as a room scent, as reviewers of last year's version mention, but I'll be wearing it.

Mistletoe 2005

Courtesy of Brienze! :D You rock!

First review ever.... :P

In the bottle: Clean, fresh Mistletoe, very light

Wet: Mistletoe amped up, wow!

Dry down: Mistletoe, and a subtle sweet berry smell. Like little white berries and mistletoe. BPAL magic, smell just like the bottle says... mistletoe!

30 min: Get's softer and a little soapy, and sort of musty. Still mistletoe. LOL, left arm smells like berry with soft mistletoe underneath, and the right arm smells the opposite. :D I smell very Christmasy/Yuley. It doesn't have great throw unless slathered on. Though I slathered it on between the "girls" in my cleavage and I did catch whiffs of it. It did fade on me pretty quick.

I like this one on me... but I like it better as a room scent. If you want to smell like mistletoe, buy this one! Yes Virginia, there really is truth in advertising! :D

Rating 1-5 on my skin, 4.5, as a room scent 5.

Edited by atropos

This review is for the '05 which, from reports, is pretty much the same as the '04.

In any case, Mistletoe pretty much owns my soul. It's a soft pine - but not like Golden Priapus - like a Christmas tree. That fresh, oh-so-green scents, but soft green, like freshly mown grass. On my skin it remains true for hours, even when I can no longer smell it (Mr Oro says it's fabulous, though).

:P

eta: this is my first OMFG scent of the Yule collection. :D

Oro

Edited by Orodemniades

This is a lovely winter scent. Cool, green and lush. This is not as hit-you-over-the-head green as a pure pine would be. It also lacks the sharpness of pine. But, I am thinking that if you don't really like the smell of fresh pine, you won't like this. If I close my eyes and inhale deeply from the bottle I can smell all parts of the plant: woody twig, red berries (but not sweet berries) and deep green leaves.

Given how strong this is wet I am surprised that it doesn't have more staying power. After a liberal slathering two hours ago it has all but disappeared on me.