Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Gingerbread, White Cedar, and Gunpowder

[No additional description provided.]

Cedar, gunpowder, and baking spices. If you were looking for a smoky woodsy with clean cedar top notes and spicy notes underneath, look no further. Very masculine. Good throw and wear length.

In the decant: Gunpowder hits my nose first. As I continue to sniff, I realize it's a cedar core with a gunpowder accent -- but the gunpowder hits a part of my nose/olfactory processing that noplace else gets. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's all gunpowder, like cannons on my arm. This Cannon SN continues well into the drydown. 

After about half an hour, the cedar once again makes itself known. But now it's gunpowder-gilded cedar... Pirate Ship SN? (I know pirate ships weren't made out of cedar, but it's a fun thought.) Still not getting anything I can call gingerbread. 

Aaaand... after another half an hour, gunpowder cedar is where it seems to stay. I think this is a case where some aging might be in order. 

The initial blast is heavy on the cedar, and what I can only assume in the tang of gunpowder wafting in and out.

I have no Idea where the gingerbread is, maybe it's adding a little bit of sweetness to the cedar?

As this wears on the gunpowder flares up, bursting forth in jets that I can't say aren't a little headache inducing, but they calm down, making this a metalish gilded cedar. Or a gunpowder soaked cedar plank. I've never smelled gunpowder, but something is metallic so I assume that's it. The gingerbread has been caught in the crossfire, being shot to bits, and leaving only a faint sweet lingering odor to the wood, more of a sweetened cedar darkened with gunpowder.

This is an interesting journey, and I absolutely don't regret getting a decant, but I have other cedar blends I like better, and as of now the gingerbread has yet to really make an appearance. Maybe aging will help, but I will say: if this sounds interesting to you, try it! It's definently unique, and it's a very empowering smell that I could see being great for an event where you want a bit of a harsher edge to your sweetness. 

Wet, it goes on a cool, woody cedar, and then a blast of salty/smoky/metallic gunpowder hits me.  After a minute or so a hint of warm spices emerge and it becomes less like a wintery version of wooden bullet and more like a warm hunter's cabin full of woodsmoke.  It reminds me a little bit of Haus of Gloi's Plotter's Beakfast, except richer and deeper.  This, this I might need.  It's a great gunpowder scent, not as harsh as Agnes Nutter or as skanky-sexy as Mommy Fortuna.  Warmer and cozier/less polished than Wooden Bullet.  I think this could be my "sexy rifleman" scent, for when I want to envision Richard Sharpe and Patrick Harper snuggling (my presence sandwiched in the middle optional) around a campfire.

Gingerbread, White Cedar and Gunpowder sounded like the most "interesting" of this year's crop of gingerbreads. Wet, it's more like gunpowder, gunpowder and gunpowder.  And very interesting.  After a few minutes, I start to get cedar as well, though I'm not entirely confident that I ever really made out any gingerbread.  This isn't a sweet scent on me.  It strikes me as very much a wild west kind of blend, like it would be perfectly at home in the Pretty Deadly universe, and I haven't smelled anything else quite like this.  Unisex tilting masculine.  

That smoky vetiver type of gunpowder note from Agnes is the dominant note here, backed by the white cedar. I get zero gingerbread from this, sadly. Over time, the gunpowder becomes less smoky and more ashy and metallic, and it allows the white cedar to come through more and become one of the main players as well. But still, no gingerbread. I agree with Lucchesa's description of this being like a wild west scent.

The smoky gunpowder is not for me, but I'm going to pass the decant on to a friend who was interested in this when it was live but didn't end up getting a bottle so that they can get to try it.

Edited by doomsday_disco