Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SophieCedar

The Sounding of Midnight Upon the Clock

And the revel went whirlingly on, until at length there commenced the sounding of midnight upon the clock. And then the music ceased, as I have told; and the evolutions of the waltzers were quieted; and there was an uneasy cessation of all things as before. But now there were twelve strokes to be sounded by the bell of the clock; and thus it happened, perhaps, that more of thought crept, with more of time, into the meditations of the thoughtful among those who revelled. And thus, too, it happened, perhaps, that before the last echoes of the last chime had utterly sunk into silence, there were many individuals in the crowd who had found leisure to become aware of the presence of a masked figure which had arrested the attention of no single individual before. And the rumor of this new presence having spread itself whisperingly around, there arose at length from the whole company a buzz, or murmur, expressive of disapprobation and surprise –then, finally, of terror, of horror, and of disgust.

Terror, horror, and disgust: a bowel-churning sweet clench of myrhh and green musk in a pool of suffocating black moss and a shock of white cognac.

Call me crazy. This smells clean and fresh and herbal green with a white sheets background. Overall this could've been called Citrine Waterfall in a Serene Mossy Wood and I would've said "Uh Huh. For sure!". The myrrh comes out in drydown and stays meditational due to the cleaner notes. Quite relaxing actually.

Herbal tea, myrrh and green musk. I think the herbal tea is the moss combined with the cognac. It's mossy, myrrh, and green. Medium throw and wear length.

Honestly, this would work well as a fougere cologne for men. I may give this to mr. zee_zee to try.

The oakmoss, myrrh and green musk are murky, the cognac gives it a lift. This is very nice, leaning masculine. While it's not quite Irish Spring soap, there is a clean element to this that manages to avoid soapiness. "Meditative" fits I guess.

I would like to rename this "The Murkiest Glen." It reminds me of a non patchouli-clove version of The Laughter of Loki. Or a non vetivered "Smite All Thy Borders With Frogges"

This reminds me A LOT of Omen from the GC line. I can't get the similarity out of my head. Not to mention Omen was one of the first BPAL oils i owned.

The Sounding of Midnight sounds like a pretty almost spiritual blend, despite the description.

I’m getting a powdery mossy myrrh held closely by a light musk. The “clench” and “suffocating” terms definitely come through, yet the cognac “shock” doesn’t show up on me. There is a slight bitterness I’m attributing to the myrrh. The sweetness opens up more in the drydown and the scent lessens it’s chokehold a bit. I agree with describing it as murky.
Overall, this scent it mainly a backbone of myrrh with the moss and musk floating about, all powdery, like a forest fog that invades all senses and draws an unwary traveler into a boggy death with fairy whispers. 

Edited by artisjok