Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Clove smoke, opium poppy, blackened patchouli, and a dribble of sugared absinthe.

This is much softer and closer to the skin than I would have guessed. The patchouli serves as a grounding note, and is not at all overwhelming or dirty. I recognize its presence, but it doesn't at all bother me, and it is the one note that didn't appeal to me. The main thing that wafts around me is clove. Up close it's just a sweet, spicy, beautiful blend of everything. I imagine it will get even better and stronger with age.

On wet, this really smells like cinnamon/cassia and cloves. As it dries down, I get more of the blackened patchouli with a swish of absinthe. After an hour, it smells vaguely like a kissing cousin to Voodoo Queen but more clovey, more whispy, and less musk. I think its the clove + patchouli coming out. Unfortunately the patchouli is the type that sometimes smells dirty/gnarly on me, as if I were an unwashed miscreant. Moderate throw, moderate wear length.

Back in the stoneage, I was well known for my black clove cigarettes. My gawd they were smelly :P I'm pretty sure a cloud of clove followed me around everywhere, and I even remember a few complaints. I was also seriously goth (still) but scent wise, my heart belonged to Snake Oil. Fast forward to now, smelling this queen it's very much spicy clove up front, but I also detect the deep, swirling menacing patchouli in the background. The sweetness of the clove is reminiscent of my dark, smoky days that drift in and out of midnight laced memories. This is definitely dark and sultry, but after complete dry down, I'm also getting a BUNCH of absinth now. This would be the perfect dark concert scent - deep, exotic, bewitching and ready to move you to black, stained tears.

Edited by Jenjin

I've actually been afraid to try this, due to all the hype. What if I hate it? That'll be quite the let down. I adore clove (and clove cigarettes) and absinthe, so I just had to try this. But then based on reviews I wondered if Pageant Queen was more my style, and I was afraid I picked the wrong bottle....anyway, here goes nothing!

Wet: Mmm. Smoky clove. Gorgeous. Hints of opium. Hazy, almost soporific. I can pick out the absinthe, but not the patchouli, which I am fine with - I like patch, but it can be a bully note on me. This is very clove-centric on me, and I couldn't be happier about it. It's a muted, smoky clove - not a "I just stuck my face in a jar of ground cloves" clove. It's not at all gourmand. It's actually pretty darn sexy. The absinthe lends a lovely sweetness to it. I can't stop huffing my wrist, and every time I do, I grin.

Dry: I love this. It's fantastic on my skin. I feel like this is the smoky clove scent I have been searching for for years, and I have finally found it. So happy to have it. It makes me feel feminine, yet badass at the same time. Like, I'm going to kick your ass, and look hot while I do it. (which is not my personality at all, so it's fun to think about) Yeah, that's Goth Queen.

At first, Juicy Fruit gum and a touch of smoke. After a bit, faint clove and smoke and a weird 'plantiness'. I cannot get the juicy fruit out of my brain, and this is a fast fade, so not for me. The best clove scent the lab has put out, imho is Velvet Bandito, a delicious tobacco and clove that lasts. My chemistry may be doing odd things to this blend, though. I'm sure it's lovely on others.

Goth Queen smells like a Christmas party at The Whirling Dervish (RIP) in New Orleans. It's cinnamon and clove cigarettes and BO and it's beautiful.

This is my favorite BPAL and I am hoarding it like nobodys business... it smells like i would smell after a night dancing at the goth club smoking cloves spilling absinthe and gin and tonic all over myself LOL. I love it more than words.

I want to BATHE in this. I think I probably smell like I did as I just got my hands on some and slathered away. This is probably my favorite BPAL ever and that says a lot after 14 yrs trying tons.