Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jeni Mullen

The Card Game Hair Gloss

Dried blue and indigo fruits, iris root, and white oudh.

This is a dark, heavy sort of floral. The dried fruit is just that, dry. It actually has a more wine-like quality to it than you'd think reading the description. This feels close and romantic., not bright and airy like I was picturing.

The name actually makes a whole lot of sense: It feels like you're in a lady's parlor after dinner and drinks in some sort of Victorian or Edwardian manor house playing cards in mixed company. Scandelous and feminine.

I don't actually think I would like to wear it but I do think I would like to be in a room with cocktails and a fancy dress that smelled like this.

Oh my. This is so nice!

I knew this would be a good one when I saw the dried blue and indigo fruits note and that's actually what's most dominant in my hair. I agree with Jeni in the fact it has a wine quality to it. Like you took the freshest blueberries or blackberries and steeped them into a gorgeous red wine, but it's not boozy or overwhelming in the least. I don't get any oudh and the iris is only a touch of a wispy floral.

I think it's a scent that snuggles you close. You know it's there but it just peeks around the corner every so often to let you know it's still going strong. I am smitten with it and I am debating another bottle.

Thank you to the lovely who gifted me some of this to try! :wub2:

I was so hesitant about this because of the iris root - usually ends up smelling like violets on me and just doesn't work. But not the case with this! Not sure if it's because it doesn't come into contact with my skin, so that note doesn't get amped to high heaven, but the iris root is so well behaved in this, you barely notice it's there!

When wet, both on my hair, and my shirtsleeve (I always test to make sure it's not going to stain too, because I spray my clothes a lot) it's oudh heavy for maybe 30 seconds, and then the gorgeous dark fruits bloom, and it's just what I wanted! This will go so well with anything that is plum, blueberry, blackberry, or currant dominant (of which I have quite a few) .It's also beautiful on it's own I think I am getting distinct hints of blueberry, but there are other fruits there too, not quite sure which ones. Either way, it's dark, a touch floral and woody, but mostly fruity. I am totally buying a bottle and will wear the heck out of it this summer.

Blue musk, wine, and iris. I see this as a very dark purple blend, and I can see it working well with fruity blends, but I really get a big hit of blue musk from this.

Dried berries, reminds me of wild strawberry and wine tannins. Some oudh mid-way through, but the berries dominate consistently. Low throw, but very long wear length.

Overview: Hair gloss is a heavy, oily spray that quickly overwhelms my long, fine hair and makes it look and feel very greasy. I can't use this product anywhere but very sparingly on the ends of my hair, or else it makes my head look like an oil slick. I'm really careful with my hair and the products that I use on it. For a while, I was using this to fragrance the ends of my hair, but I find that it makes my hair fall out a lot, either from the high fragrance oil content, the heaviness of the oil itself, or something else. I wanted to love these and wanted them to work, because of the fragrances, but now I only use the hair gloss as a body mist on my arms and legs, not actually on my hair.

Fragrance review:

I love the name of this, but the perfumey, sharp floral iris is a dealbreaker for me. I agree with other reviews in that there's something wine-like about this, but it smells watery to me rather than heavy, and the floral sharpens everything up.

i know this is an older one, but i am new to bpal and in my quest for past shunga HGs, a super kind person sold me her backup of this one.

at first spray, this is prickly. it’s almost got a weird lemongrass-ness to me (to be honest thjs may be a sharp currant smell), but that quickly fades.

it becomes a soft, musky, close to the skin/hair scent, absolutely purple- i smell blueberries and plum, slight floral and spice, then a base of more fruit. it’s not juicy smelling like jovial embrace. it’s definitely drier than that. 

if this makes sense - visually, i have the dark musky fruits over the floral/spiciness (i want to say like mulled wine type spices?), then a more sweet version of the fruit as the base. 

as someone else mentioned - almost definitely blueberry. 

i don’t get regular wine, but i do get blueberry or blackberry wines