Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Pardona

The Smell of an Inn

I'm starting an RPG in not too long, and of course, it will start in an inn (players asked me to, even). So, since I'll shortly be placing an order of some imps, I thought it might not be a bad idea to use some of these as an aide to set the mood. So my question is: what smell do you associate with a traditional D&D-kinda-style, inn? It has to be impable, and of course, I have to like it as well, since while it might be nice to use it every now and then for setting the mood, most of it will still be used by me (meaning please nothing too feminine).

My first thought was Perversion, and while that would seem nice, I can't stand the smell of white wine, and I don't want to risk an imp not being usable because one part of it would make me turn away from it. The other ones I had in mind were Sherlock Holmes and (of course) Tavern of Hell.

Thanks!

Have you looked into Black Phoenix Trading Post at all? The Post has a whole line of RPG Room and Linen Sprays here I think that would make it easier to scent the room as well. Just a thought!

I was about to say I was looking to do it with imps, but with that recommendation, my interest was at least piqued, so I went to go have a look. Have any personal recommendations? I can't see any under RPG that scream inn to me (at least not in squirt format), but Saloon #10 does look interesting to me. I remember reading somewhere it was perhaps possible to have BPAL and BPTP orders "coupled"? Would you perhaps know anything about this? Also, please keep the recommendations for imps coming as well!

Thanks!

That one, from the reviews, I'm not entirely sure whether it's the boozy, tobacco-y, cheap inn smell I'm looking for, although it does smell delicious and maybe something I'd want to use myself at home. That being said, I can't find it in the shop. Trice-Ploughed Field does look rather interesting, yes.

Thanks!

*continues to look around about coupling BPAL and BPTP orders*

Edited by Pardona

That one, from the reviews, I'm not entirely sure whether it's the boozy, tobacco-y, cheap inn smell I'm looking for, although it does smell delicious and maybe something I'd want to use myself at home. That being said, I can't find it in the shop. Trice-Ploughed Field does look rather interesting, yes.

Thanks!

I think the official answer is "no". They are two separate sister companies. They may choose to make exceptions sometimes, but it's not common practice, to my knowledge. That being said, I cannot for the life of me find the thread I am looking for that discusses this, so maybe someone else can.

I've only ever heard of them doing that for international orders, and in that instance, it's probably best to contact both the lab and the post directly and ask.

Keep in mind that it's now a holiday weekend in the US and you might not hear back until next week.

Edited by annemathematics

Hmmm... I think if I can't combine, I'll probably end up with an order of just imps - not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but I guess the atmosphere sprays will have to wait then. If that would be the case, does anyone have some more advice on imps that could be used evoking the atmosphere of an inn?

Thanks to the both of you!

Roadhouse - Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

If you want something that smells more porridge-y, you can try Halfling from the rpg scents - Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.

If only they'd ship internationally, I'd seriously consider buying from them. Oh well, I'm sure I'll buy again in the future. Thanks for making the effort to look it up for me anyway, Ordo_ad_Chao!

lookingglass, that looks like a -really- interesting scent, and from the ingredients, I'd think it would smell exactly like what it says it is - an old farmhouse. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be impable. Still, thanks for the rec!

Perversion is awesome! One of my faves. There are so many other notes like the tobacco, leather, and rum going on..... I don't need get white wine at all. I think you should def give it a try :)

Yeah, I guess I'm just afraid it'll come out and ruin the whole experience for me, ziggy. But I just might. Sprout, that was actually my first thought if I were to get an atmo from BPTP, but it's looking increasingly less likely I'll be able to couple my order. I sent something through Contact, but if I don't get a response before the end of the Ploutos promotion, I'll probably limit myself to imps on this order and see whether I might not be able to get an atmo spray somewhere down the road. At least I'll be able to get some more imps! XD

Thanks the both of you!

ETA: That being said, I'm not at all familiar with the smell of -good- white wine, but the particular smell that has me leery of it is like... cheap, dry white wine. I honestly can't stand it. I'm sure BPAL uses stuff that smells a lot better than that, but I'm still a bit wary.

Edited by Pardona

For what it's worth, I don't get wine from the Perversion atmo. I do get a metric ton of leather!

Maybe combine a foody atmo such as On Halloween with Saloon #10?

Sign in to follow this