Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Mare Forecunditatis

The Sea of Fecundity: clove and allspice with chamomile, strawberry leaf, sweetly aged patchouli, squill root, acorns, and bright mosses.

Stealth frimp from another wonderful BPALista. You know who you are!

Mare Forecunditas is heavily clove and allspice, with a touch of acorns. It stops being overtly foodie with a touch of patchouli and slightly aquatic moss. I feel like chamomile bring a slight herbal bitterness toward the end. Definitely loads of clove and allspice. Mmmm, allspice.

This smells like FALL. You know all of those fall things you love - the spices in everything, the smell of dirt, the slight chill in the wind.

UGH. Beautiful.

In a lot of ways, this reminds me to Harvest Moon 2005 in vibe. I don't think they share any common notes at all, but the feel of having bottle the Autumn season is right there.

ETA: From the bottle, I got a ton more patch/clove/allspice which made it smell like burnt fall leaves. Which again is amazing for the Fall.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This scent is so beautiful! I'm bummed I only have one bottle, it's just so lovely. This was an immediate favorite right out of my new hoard.

It's all lovely sweet kitchen spices and I swear something buttery with a smooth nuttiness grounding the scent. It's gourmand, not foodie. Warm clove and nutmeg prominent playing with a perfumy sweet note that I think is the strawberry leaf, because it reminds me of something sweet like ripe berries but not quite in true form. More like strawberry scented tea. There is an ever so slightly herbal edge that rounds the whole thing out and it's just incredible.

I can't stop hugging my wrists. It's everything fall embodied in a bottle. I'm going to be reaching for this frequently. I wish I had a hair gloss and bath oil to match!

I am so glad I took a chance on this scent.

It doesn't morph much on me, but stays a spicy acorn scent for hours and hours.

I am not sure I am getting any of the strawberry leaf, but there is something a little like tea in the scent, a sweetness that could be the strawberry leaf. I am not usually good with patchouli, and that was the one note I was worried about, but I am not actually getting any of it except a faint sweet smokiness.

Overall I am so happy with my bottle and would recommend it to anyone who likes spicy and deep autumnal scents :)

Wet: Suuuuuper smoky. After that comes an herb-tinged waft of clove.

Drydown: Earthy and spicy with a hint of dry, bitter leaves folded in. The smokiness is soft and dusty, almost ash-like. Patchouli asserts itself as the boss, followed by clove, allspice, and chamomile. It’s a very warm and cozy blend, perfectly capturing fall. I get just a moment of strawberry tea, and then it’s back to shades of brown and tan.

Dry: The moss joins in, bringing out the woodiness of the patchouli. It smells very much like a walk through the woods, with autumn leaves carpeting the ground. I keep catching little fleeting moments of strawberry, like there’s a fairy following me around and then vanishing when I turn to see her. What a treasure!

8.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Lovely. Warm, bright and fall-like. I'm having a hard time explaining this, but it's basically slightly herbal, resinous, floral with a touch of patch. It reminds me of Trinket a bit, even with a metallic twinge. Even though I like this, it's not a 'love', and I'm getting picky in my bpal old age and only buy scents I absolutely love. It is nice though...

Note: I'm not sure what acorn and squill root smell like.

In the bottle: When this first arrived, it reminded me of the RPG scent Ranger. There is almost a leatheriness to it, although I know that note isn't present here. Perhaps the clove and moss are giving me that vibe. I think it must be the patchouli and moss that remind me of Ranger, but maybe the acorn and squill root also play a role? I was worried about the strawberry leaf, and while it is present, it really is just the leaf adding a bit of sweetness to the scent (and not full-on strawberry).

Wet: Clove reigns, followed by the allspice note, which is stronger on my skin than it was in the bottle. After a little bit, the allspice becomes the dominant note. The patchouli note is rather prominent as well, and an herbiness lingers behind the spice and patchouli notes. The strawberry leaf is very faint, but it is still adding a welcome sweetness to the scent.

Dry: Somewhat smoky clove and allspice, along with chamomile, patchouli, moss, and a bit of sweetness from the strawberry leaf.

Verdict: Hmm. I'm not sure what to think of this. Lunacies are usually not my thing, but I took a chance on this one because of the reviews describing it as autumn in a bottle. I don't dislike it, but I don't love it either. I enjoy clove scents, so I think I'll hold onto it for now.

*edit* Much, much later, I get a bit of what I believe may be the acorn note beneath the spices.

*second edit* I enjoyed this scent a lot more on the second wear, and now I'm glad I bought a bottle.

Edited by dementia_divine

Smelling blindly, this was a deeply earthy, nutty, nutmeg-rich fruitcake to me. Good throw, to the point that I could smell it wafting from my wrists (many scents don't have that much throw on me). Once I checked notes, it kind of made sense! Roots and mosses and patchouli for deep earthiness, acorns for nuttiness, clove and allspice and perhaps even nutmeg did sneak in here to round out the spices. I wonder where the baked goods is coming from? This is not cake-cake like birthday cake, but a substantial pudding that takes a month at least to set up. It could sustain life for many days. That kind of cake.

This smells like fall, but an earthy fall that's off the beaten track of the usual suspects of leaves and pumpkin spice and toothsome gourmands. I'm a bit obsessed with the combination of spices and earth elements here. Mare Foecunditatis is a blend with an impossible-to-spell name and a forest enchantment all its own. I'm going to put it more in the category of Deep in Earth and Death Cap and The Grave-Pig than the traditional Weenies, with also a touch of Hildegard's Cakes of Joy! (Seriously, WHERE is that baked wheat + nutmeg scent coming from?). I adore my half-bottle and will treasure it in my fall box. It's also not too heavy or sweet to wear in the hot days of "fall" such as August and September! Perfection!

I would wear this while: sweating it out until October 1.