Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Akurarei

The Grindhouse

Florentine iris, red musk, mimosa, magnolia, Damascus rose, clove, and vanilla bean.

2017 version

Wet: Really fruity red musk - there's a note that smells almost like cocoa, then morphs into something wine-like, then it's like an earthy patchouli note - none of those are listed, I am thoroughly confused. But I like it. I actually think it's the iris! Iris usually smells like violet on me, and I hate it's face. But here with the red musk it's rich and lovely. This is interesting! Kind of high pitched, as it dries, from the florals mixed with the musk , I suppose.

Dry: Red musk with hints of iris aka violet. NOT GOOD. Sad, this had promise. I shall age it!

RED MUSK!! As often happens, red musk overpowers eveything else. The mimosa, clove, and florals make an amazing backdrop. It's like a heavily floral version of Smut. I would wear this often...sexy and fun!

I wanted to love this, but it might have to be a locket only blend. It starts out very pretty floral red musk, similar to Moriarty w/o currant and plum, but sadly this does what some musk and oud blends do (especially black musk) and went burnt/toxic/acrid. There are many ouds and musks that don't do this, but more and more I have been noticing this in not just bpal blends but from other perfumers. Jiaolong did the same thing, as well as Colemanite Phoenix, oddly enough. It's sad, really. You can detect that note in the vial sometimes, but it just goes crazy once it hits the skin.

The next day this was a gorgeous floral musk again with nuances of sweetness and spice, but overall this scent was a dissapointment on my skin. I'll probably hold on to it for the locket and see how it develops from there. =[

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

The iris ran away with The Grindhouse on me.  At first there was a lovely sexy red musk, not too stompy, with hints of vanilla, clove, and interesting florals, but as it dried down, the iris note became more and more prominent until eventually I smelled like somebody's great aunt's keepsakes.  Not exactly what I was going for.