Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Winter Lily and Sugarcane Hair Gloss

Pale, elegant lily blossoms gilded with snow and lightly brushed with sugarcane.

Because I'm weird. I ordered this because I love lily, but only the stargazer type. Not knowing which type was a risk, I suppose.

Smelling from the spray top (see above), I definitely get Beth's frosty, slushy snow note (a la Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, Dust of Snow, etc).

I spritzed a bit of this into my palm and spread it to smell it. Initially it's a very sappy, petally, clear, very white lily petal, and I'm definitely getting more of a Stargazer / oriental lily vibe versus muguet/of the valley. The sharpness almost has a boughy, evergreen like quality to it but that may be the snow note playing tricks on me. As it has a bit of time to calm down on my skin, which is in moments (like 3-5 minutes) the sharpness is gone and it rises to the surface as an ethereal, ripply fabric-like cold lily, and most definitely the cold, slushy snow note I love in many blends. There's almost a trickle of water in this. It reminds me partially of Sea of Glass without being as frankly rose-y. Which, OMG. Why did I make that comparison, now I need it forever.

On distant drydown there's a little sugar, but it's by no means caramelized like Sugar Skull (that type of sugar goes really wrong on me long term).

So, scent wise, this is a beautiful, not overtly floral but still extremely charming winter lily, which could be worn in winter for sure but may also make for a ravishing summer, iced flower scent.

Winter Lily & Sugar Cane

This is a surprise winner for me!

The lily is subtle, the snow - just the right amount of 'coolness', and the sugar cane just makes this scent glow.

It's a perfectly sophisticated scent, and very subdued.

Perfect for a 'stuffy' office setting or if you just want a soft, delicate scent.

absolutely lovely!

Winter lily and sugarcane hair gloss is simple and pure: just sweet white lilies with a dusting of snow. There's something luminous about the lilies—they almost have a glow. Dry and hours later, my hair smells faintly of lilies and something clean (must be the snow note). Although it's delicate, the scent has good staying power.

I plan to layer this with some of my Yule scents this winter, but will also look forward to using it in spring. This smells like winter thawing and the first brave flowers pushing through.

In the bottle, I mostly smell lilies, followed by the snow note (which is not a sweet snow note) and the sugarcane.

In my hair, the lilies still dominate, and while they are strong at first, they quickly calm down. The snow note is second in prominence, and I can't help wondering if there is a bit of pine in the snow note. The sugarcane note really is just a dusting.

Much later in the day, I mainly get lilies and the dusting of sugarcane. Most of the snow has melted.

The next morning, the lily note remains, but it is rather faint.

Verdict: I was really hoping this would be sweeter than it is, because I love sugary florals. I don't dislike it, but I also don't feel like I need a whole bottle of this one.

Origin: Straight from the Post

Initial Thoughts: I have found a subcategory in my love of florals, thanks to last year's Nice Glop, that will always grab my attention. Floral and sugary-sweet. From Nice Glop's honeysuckle to Nectar to Peach Nectar and Vanilla Orchid, I am all about the cavity-inducing sweet florals. So of course Winter Lily and Sugarcane caught my eye.

In the Bottle: Very crisp and cold lily. It's fresh and the cold/snow note brings a snap to it that I find refreshing.

In My Hair: My most common application method is either spraying directly on damp hair or on my hands and working it into wet hair. As I applied the sweet note made itself known, but stayed in a nice balance with the lily. Where something like Nectar goes really, REALLY sweet (and that's not a bad thing) this finds a lovely three-way balance between white floral, cold, and sweet.

Verdict: I love it and am almost certainly going to be snagging another bottle or two after my next paycheck. This is a HG I can see pairing with several of my very floral BPAL scents.

Fresh lily, liberally dusted with the lab's snow note. I find bpal's "snow" goes a bit harsh on me, and often smells a bit like dryer sheets. I got this anyway because I love lilies so much! Unfortunately this seems to have lily and snow in equal amounts, so it does come off as a bit harsh to my nose. If you like the snow note, you'll be in heaven, though.

Several hours after application the sugarcane comes out, light and very soft. It's very pretty. If this was just lily and sugarcane it would be perfect! Overall I really do like it, even with the snow.

Snow and lilies. This smells like a wintery lily, with just a touch of snowy frost. It's very delicate, very floral, and makes your hair smell like you've used expensive salon products. It's a little sweet.

I think I need an extra dimension to this, something to tone down the sweetness and the lily.

This gloss is so nice! I'm not usually a fan of the snow note on my skin, but I don't mind it in my hair. :D The lilies are dominant, which is great because I adore lily, and the cold snow note is just behind them and dusted with sugar. So very pretty! :heart: It smells appropriate for the winter and spring but I think it'll probably be great in the summer, too, if I need to cool off. :-)