Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
radioaction

The Radiance of an Opium-Dream

A haze of tuberose, pale jasmine, vanilla orchid, and lily, with a faint jagged edge of opium tar.

Decant: Something piney/bitter that must be the opium tar over light florals

On: Flowers are strong and beautiful at first but then something turns really soapy. I don't have a lot of scents with tuberose or lily, so I'm not sure how they behave on me. Jasmine is one of my favorite notes, and it's playing nicely here, though quickly overwhelmed by everything else. I'm not sure I get any vanilla orchid. Sadly, it's getting to be just bitter, strong soap.

Verdict: I'll try this again and see if it's still super soapy, but I'm guessing my skin just doesn't do tuberose and/or lily nicely.

Tuberose, jasmine, and lily are the most prominent players. I get a tiny hint of opium tar but in general both the tuberose and jasmine tag team it into oblivion. Great throw, and great wearlength (just my luck!)

If you're a fan of either tuberose and jasmine, try this! I have to say that the BPAL jasmine note as of late has been of a nicer variety than previous years, but still dredges up the cat pee incarnation for me.

Preconceived notions: I expected something ambery, based on the "radiance" in the name, with something opium like, maybe similar to the Laudanum from the GC

In vitro: white florals (checking the notes, ah, this is going to be very floral with jasmine, tuberose AND lily). Perhaps I should have paid a bit more attention to the notes rather than the theme...

Wet on wrist and antecubital area (the inside crook of the elbow for the non-medical peeps): white florals, green and fresh smelling, I can pick out jasmine most prominently, the tuberose develops later, then last the lily

Drying: these florals work for me, I don't get any high pitched notes, soap, or shrieking notes, which is good. I can make out the individual components of all the florals as I am familiar from other blends. I really enjoy lily and the note here is similar to the one in Tumultuous Vultures, very green, fresh and almost buttery. I do not detect anything resembling smoke, opium, or related notes. It lasted at least 8 hours on me, fading slightly but unchanging and was still sniffable if I huffed the application points > 8 hours later, then I showered...low throw/sillage for me

Final thoughts: this was fairly one dimensional on my skin and lacking complexity, and the dry down late did not morph or change and was close to the smell wet. this is my skin chemistry, mind you, but these florals are working, and are lovely if lacking depth. I wish I got the opium tar note, perhaps it is a resin that needs curing or ageing to develop? I could layer this with Laudanum to get that effect if not. I don't see me buying a bottle unless this changes with age, simply because I have many florals and they are not really my thing, but if you love white florals, this is superb. I am going to keep this imp and hoard any that come my way for layering purposes as I do think the blend is lovely and it works for my skin. If the opium tar note develops later, I will edit my review and rethink the bottle thing. please don't think my saying I am not going to buy a bottle now means this isn't lovely, it is very pretty and I think I would like to mix my imp in with some unscented hand lotion or use it for layering. I think layered with Yggdrasil or a single note of wood would work very well, or perhaps an incense themed scent. I am just on bottle overload at present and have to save bottle purchases for scents I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and I only Love this a little bit

If you find jasmine to be iffy on you, this may be one you pass, but these florals are well behaved for me. slight disappointment for me as this did not suggest radiance, dream, or opium to me, I guess I need to let go of my expectations and just enjoy it for it own loveliness

Edited by sprout

In the bottle: Beautiful sweet heavenly jasmine heavy florals!! :wub3: Can't really pick out the other floral notes at this point.

On me: Still jasmine heavy, but I am picking up the lily and a hint of the vanilla orchid. So far no jagged edge to be found (yay!), just smooth sweet florals. Very nice throw.

After a while: The scent remained jasmine heavy with the lily trading places with the Vanilla orchid. Sadly didn't really pick up on any tuberose or opium, though I think they were playing supporting roles instead of main characters.

Thoughts: If you love jasmine and heavy florals this is a blend you need to sniff! It is an amazing, heady, floral blend that refused to let my nose get away from my arm. It reminded me a bit of Mrs. Emma Marsh from NYCC 2014, except more heavy and heady. Like an older, more elegant sister that flirts with Emma's husband a little to much and totally get's away with it. :cool:

In the decant: Florals and opium tar.

Wet: Much the same as on cold sniff.

The dry-down: Just a nice mix of lily, orchid, jasmine, and tuberose given a mild undercurrent of headiness by the opium tar. Granted, I usually stay away from tuberose and lily, but I like all the other notes, so I gave this a chance. This should be nice for spring-time. Nice, but I have other floral blends that I prefer. I'll keep and use the decant once it's warmer weather here.

Just as described. I'm getting a heady floral along with the incense. This is 'OK', but I have incense blends that I like better.

In Imp: Heady, heavy florals over opium.

Wet: Tuberose and lily are absolutely dominating. No orchid really.

Drying: Lily, maybe a little orchid. This is way sweet for me - not even the jasmine can save it.

Dry: Disappeared! How odd. I remember testing this at the time of release and the opium being much more dominant - now it's all florals, if that's your thing.