Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Red_Hot_Mama

Job Interview Recommendations

i say use wolf's heart

it always makes me feel more confident

Yep, got Crucible of Courage, Wolf's Heart, Has No Hanna and High John the Conqueror among other things. :D

I have a feeling I'm going to be wearing about 10 different oils at this rate. :P

Both my husband (albeit unknowingly) & myself have had excellent results with Crucible of Courage. If you aren't sure, try using a dowser to help you narrow it down to the best one to wear for your highest good.

I was doing some looking on line for information about "Has No Hanna" (Trying to answer your pronounciation question, Penance!) and I did notice that one of the most common "uses" listed for this is...you guessed it...help with job interviews!!! :P

Ooh, score! I love Has No Hanna. It's my official test-taking oil and the one I wear when I need to know that I'm going to do well at something. :P

Eeep. I have an interview tomorrow and since I'm one of those who can't stand to go without a perfume, I'm in need of some advice.

My tastes run towards the O, Bastet, Belle Epoque, and Moscow end of the spectrum, but I've got many to choose from. The position I'm interviewing for is a paraplanner position, where essentially I'd be keeping a financial planner organized, and have the licensing so that I can take care of minor sales chores and customer questions.

Yes, I know that a lot of people recommend not wearing perfume to interviews, and I also tend to just wear a touch, so that one has to be REALLY close to me to be able to smell it.

Any suggestions? :P

-Jen

Of the blends you've listed, I think Belle Epoque would be the best.

However, I would suggest you wear something lighter than all of those. You definitely do not want to have a sexy vibe going during the interview.

Do you have any of these? Embalming Fluid, Water of Notre Dame, High John the Conqueror, Van Van, Has No Hanna, Dorian, Sea of Glass or Zephyr

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Of the blends you've listed, I think Belle Epoque would be the best.

However, I would suggest you wear something lighter than all of those.  You definitely do not want to have a sexy vibe going during the interview.

Do you have any of these?  Embalming Fluid, Water of Notre Dame, High John the Conqueror, Van Van, Has No Hanna, Dorian, Sea of Glass or Zephyr

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Embalming Fluid smells like a lemon drop on me, and Zephyr ends up rather similar. Waiting on Dorian to arrive, so Alice was my choice, since I have some vague obsession with it, and really enjoyed it as a light floraly scent.

<giggle> I wasn't going to wear Belle Epoque on the chance that the opium scentie would raise some eyebrows.

Oh yeah, and the interview went well. Squee. :P

Appreciate the suggestions, ma'am! I'm REALLY wanting Dorian to get here, since I picked up a 5 ml unsniffed. :D

-Jen, rather bouncyhappy today hoping that she gets not-quite-the-job-she-interviewed-for,-but-one-that-won't-have-an-issue-if-she-gets-an-offer-in-desired-relocation-site. (Yes, hyphenated!)

I usually wear Alice or Snow White to job interviews. They're both soft and pretty, feminine but not sexy, and they stick close to me so there's not a lot of throw. I feel like they fit in my "skin but better" catagory. In addition, I find them both soothing, and that's always good! I also often add a tiny dab of Has No Hanna or Horn of Plenty...though I find those two to be very strong, so really, just a tiny tiny bit.

I would stay far away from anything particularly sexy, or anything with alcohol in it.

Good luck, Jen! :P

I usually wear Alice or Snow White to job interviews.  They're both soft and pretty, feminine but not sexy, and they stick close to me so there's not a lot of throw.  I feel like they fit in my "skin but better" catagory.  In addition, I find them both soothing, and that's always good!  I also often add a tiny dab of Has No Hanna or Horn of Plenty...though I find those two to be very strong, so really, just a tiny tiny bit. 

I would stay far away from anything particularly sexy, or anything with alcohol in it. 

Good luck, Jen!  :P

Alice was the winner of the sweeps yesterday. Now to wait to see if the possibility that was suggested yesterday materializes. I think it will. :D

-Jen, *bounce bounce perk!*

I just read a great article in Allure about perfumes to wear on the job :D a couple of their recs were Clinique Simply and SJP's new Lovely (which I agree with--both are very soft and unobtrusive). But now for my BPAL picks!

Zephyr--The white musk and white sandalwood combo make for a very crisp, clean scent--like an ironed white dress shirt, while the vanilla softens the blend a bit. Very clean and professional but unobtrusive

Juliet--Traditional florals with white musk--again, very soft

Antique Lace--Dc'd, but I'd bust this out for a job interview. Creamy vanilla with (once again!) white musk and dried carnations. Soft and gentle, with the added bonus that everyone loves vanilla.

I would not wear anything very heavy, musky (unless it's white musk, which is pretty clean and non-sexual), or fruity (which can scream teenager). Frankly, I'd go with something as "traditional" as possible, seeing as BPAL scents are really something of an aquired taste for many people. Don't wear anything that doesn't scream "bold and hardcore!" unless those personality traits are *very obviously* part of the job requirements (and even then I'd be careful--you're not trying to out-boss your potential new boss!).

As has been said before, when in doubt, don't wear any scent. However, I'd pick a soft, clean scent over none at all, as it very subtly adds to the aura you're trying to project :D

*Josey ends her pretentious lil shpiel :P *

And now for something slightly different:

I have a phone interview to determine the background knowledge I have for a biologst/histologist job I really, really want. It's tomorrow and it's more like an oral exam than a regular interview, but since it's a phone interview it's more like an interview than a regular test. Best of both worlds I guess. Basically I'll be looking at webpages of slides and answering questions posited by two interviewers. No stress at all. :P

But, on the plus side, I don't have to worry about my perfume offending anyone.

So, recommendations?

Wear your very favourite scent. The scent that makes you happy when you wear it. That way, you'll feel confident and happy and ready to tackle the interview :P

I busted out the Antique Lace yesterday for a job interview (I'll admit it - it's because I knew my interviewer was male, and the guys always seem to like vanilla!). :P

I had a callback for a second interview before I'd even gotten home. Looks like I'll be wearing Antique Lace again today for the all-day intensive interview (yikes!). I so wish it would come back, so more people could experience this lovely oil.

OMG OMG OMG OMG i was READING this thread (i recently tested for a job i really want as a staff secretary for the chemistry dept of a university) and i got a message on my VM to come INTERVIEW.

HOW CRAZY IS THAT??????

so im guessing HAS NO HANNA will be my best choice of these few that i have, but let me know if you think otherwise:

Vicomte de Valmont (i love)

Lucys Kiss (am not hot on at all)

and new ones which I just got and havent tested much yet

The Coiled Serpent

Has No Hanna

Iambe

Danube

Ave Maria Gratia Plena

Faustus

Malice

.... oh my gosh this is HUUUUUUGE news for me! : ) im so excited! *dance*

THINK GOOD THOUGHTS FOR ME! FRIDAY 9/9 from 10-11am CDT....

eta: i think it went well, hopefully will find out early next week. i wore just three dots of has no hanna. will post update!

Edited by ketalady

Just my two c. as a newbie:

1. I think Electra was the first to mention it, but several other people have echoed that the tautology is "don't wear perfume to a job interview" and frankly, there are really good reasons for that. Like a lot of other people have pointed out, some people really hate perfume. (Hard to imagine, I know, but... :D )

I, for instance, thought I hated "perfume" until I started getting into Lush and, most recently, BPAL. What I hate are department-store perfumey fake scents, with very few exceptions. I guess my point is that, if I hate "perfume" but love BPAL/essential oils/Lush, most other people feel the opposite. A lot of my friends shrink away from the strength of my Lush stuff (when in the package, not in the strength it lingers on my skin), and BPAL oils are even stronger in concentration. And someone is out there buying all those $100 an ounce crap perfumes from the department stores.

You just never know what is going to make your interviewer feel like she can't breathe or like she needs to throw up. For me, it would be an interviewee coming in reeking of any mass-market men's cologne or (for women) most department store perfumes, espcially Moschino Cheap and Chic. :D Even a little bit of that stuff jumps out at me and reminds me of my grandmother's penchant for using Aqua Net in hot cars in the summer.

2. My suggestion? Here's what I do:

I am a law student starting to go through the process of dealing with professional-level interviews for the first time in my life, and although I always used to be good at interviewing before, I am now a nervous wreck during the interviewing process. What I do is take a scent that has a powerful relaxing influence on me (for me, Flying Fox Temple Balm from Lush is like taking a muscle relaxant) and I dab just a wee bit right on the dimple under my nose. It's right where I can smell it in such low concentrations that it really doesn't travel to others well, but it's there in the concentration I need to relax me. Sounds weird, but it works. The only thing I smell of to the interviewer is a very mild soap (smelling clean is about the only thing they should smell.)

Sorry this was so long, but I got into the subject-- this has been a really interesting thread!!

Good luck to all of you fellow interviewees. :P

ETA: One more thought: you also never know what is going to get your interviewer sexually aroused, and that's probably not a good strategy in the long run.

Edited by LushNatty

Has anyone tried Beatrice for a job interview yet?

I have an interview this afternoon for a solicitors office junior position & I want somethin that'll really do the trick, & whilst I *want* to wear Jack layered with The Hesperides I think that could be a bad move.

Has anyone tried Beatrice for a job interview yet?

I have an interview this afternoon for a solicitors office junior position & I want somethin that'll really do the trick, & whilst I *want* to wear Jack layered with The Hesperides I think that could be a bad move.

Legal? Annoyingly, the entire legal profession is very stuffy. So don't rock the boat until you have the power to do so. That's about all the advice I can offer. At my law school, the mantra of Career Services on this issue is don't wear any fragrance whatsoever-- which is actually not a bad point because people can have sensitivities to the most surprising scents. A friend of mine started sneezing and snuffling like crazy the other night after I put on a *dab* of Bastet, and I couldn't even smell it at all. It was bothering her even after my first hand-washing. She does the same thing when confronted with cucumber smells, which normally a person would think would be extremely inoffensive.

Smell clean, that's all.

I have job interveiw on thursday at 12 noon,its for a mail clerk job what should I wear? i was thinking bearded lady,soft and ladylike .I will be wearing my black suit and a pink top .

Blends which contain oils which improve focus & concentration are excellent for job interviews (& for studying, too).

Essential oils which are reputed to do this are: peppermint, lemon, cypress, basil, pine, rosemary, pink grapefruit & veitver. I've made a blend with peppermint (which is also great for headaches), lemon & a tiny bit of cypress. It's very fresh smelling.

Of course, a light hand with any fragrance is always best for an interview.

I searched on the list of oils above & came up with 49 BPAL blends.

Try it & see if you see any that you like.

Good Luck everybody!