Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hammy

Papa Monster

A growling good time: the scent of grape and red cherry swirl ring pops, licorice whips, and a touch of vanilla cupcake frosting.

In the bottle - Cherry syrup vibe. Grenadine for the win.

Wet - It definitely smells wet. Like red gummy worms that you’ve sucked through your mouth spaghetti-style a few times. (C’mon, I can’t be the only one who did that.)

Drydown - Slippery, sticky, wet lollipops. I’m getting a teensy bit more grape than cherry now, and the whole effect transports me back to when I’d spend all day running around with a wet Ring Pop on my finger. For some reason I expected the licorice whips to be black licorice, but if there IS licorice in the mix it’s definitely not the sharp anise smell that I’ve come to fear. No vanilla frosting to speak of.

Verdict - I never did get any vanilla out of this blend, but it doesn’t matter. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am to have Papa Monster. It’s all childhood and happiness and sugar on me. I think I’ll have to get another bottle.

*Edited for typos.

Dry: fresh, zesty when it opens, I didn't Know the notes but at first and for an hour of development of the envol, I smelled only some like bitter green apples...after reading the notes I can detect white grape wine, fresh and sugary....strange oil, not so parfumey, I really love some bpal oils but I think I couldn't wear this one with pleasure...

In the end it softens in a undetectable sweet green fruit drydown.

I pass this one.

Edited by Elmifra

In the decant: The ring pop note is the most prominent. I get the cherry and grape swirls from it, but I hope the grape isn't a prominent note on my skin. There is a bit of frosting and licorice in the background.

Wet: The ring pop note takes the center stage, and I'm getting the grape note from it more than anything else. I really dislike anything grape-flavored, and the grape-candy note is very realistic in this. The cherry aspect of the ring pop note is starting to come out more, swirling with the grape, and I get a bit of the licorice note as well. Sadly, the frosting is nowhere to be found.

Dry: I'm still not getting any of the frosting note... just ring pops and red licorice.

Verdict: I am not digging the grape part of the ring pop note, so I'm going to put my decant up for swap.

Fans of fruity candy scents should like this one.  It's too fruity and sweet for me, with that distinctly artificial grape and cherry flavoring, but it's still a fun fragrance.  I don't get any licorice or vanilla cupcake, and I kind of feel like I'd enjoy this more if it had lime (like LUSH's Calavera!) or some citrus in it to perk up the grape and cherry syrup, which feel heavy and flat to me on their own.  Glossy, sticky-sweet, grape and cherry ringpops.

I started using my decant to mix into other fragrances and it actually is a really fun layering scent.

Edited by Little Bird

This is all cherry and grape ring pops with a hint of vanilla frosting. Not getting any licorice. Sticky sweet candy, like jolly ranchers. A fun scent but I'll be content with my decant.

Mostly getting the ring pops and licorice from this, I have to really put my wrist up to my nose to pick out the vanilla cupcakes. This is really great, very fruity and fun. Even though I am not getting much of the cupcakes, I still really like this and think it would have been fine if it was just the grape and cherry notes. Doesn't get powdery on me, some of the candy scents I have tried tend to do that on me.