Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tativa

Mermaid

A tiny siren’s perfume of pink seaweed, lotus petals, Tahitian tiare, white gardenia, orange blossom, sea salt, and vanilla-infused benzoin.

This is one that my 7 y/o daughter and I agree on as a favorite. It's a feminine, happy, complicated thing. I don't pick out any notes individually. Others said it better than I would have, floral and just sweet/pink enough to not be too aquatic, but aquatic and "fresh" enough to avoid being too floral.

PS, we think around here that Mermaid does best when it's well-blended in the bottle. We've both had the experience of putting it on and unexpectedly not liking it or thinking it's "off." (I had initially bought a decant and then thought I'd made a mistake when I bought a bottle and it wasn't like I remembered.) However, when she's well-rolled, no complaints!

Mermaid

I got frimped some of this by a lovely seller who I can no longer track down T_T Thank you, whoever you are!

In the Bottle: salty sweet, aquatic florals

Wet: This is a pink aquatic scent. I get gentle pink salt, somewhat powdery, creamy tropical florals, and a faint trace of citrus- wha? I cannot individually pick out the orange blossom, or the lotus..or the tiare. I can’t even isolate the gardenia- it does smell like a tropical bouquet of non-descript white florals, but try as I might, each floral goes under-represented. As a matter of fact, the florals in this are actually quite soft against the pink salt note (the pink seaweed and sea salt), but given the sheer amount of florals present, they all somehow manage to combine into equally dominating half of the blend.

Drydown: Although I do pick up some citrus here, it dies back down relatively quickly, leaving way for the salty sweet aquatic florals to return to the forefront. I can detect the vanilla better more into the later drydown stage, and the salty notes have settled down. In the final stages, I get the impression of a powdery vanilla dusted over tropical white blooms, with a light sweet, salted sea spray blowing in its direction.

TL;DR: powdery vanilla, salty sweet dew, and aquatic whiteish pink tropical blooms.

Edited by celestia

Seaweed gardenia and lotuses with a sprinkle of sea salt and vanilla, it turns into a very soapy aquatic on me. I am not the biggest fan of aquatics, but it's got enough florals to make this interesting. Even when it turned soapy, it was still enjoyable!

Will likely upgrade since I do want to venture more into aquatics and this is the best one I have tested to date. :wub3:

Wet, this is kind of salty-nutty smelling (sometimes I read benzoin as a bit nutty, so maybe it's that?). As it dries, the florals and seaweed come out. It smells like a pretty, gentle sea breeze and doesn't go harsh or soapy. Pretty nice, although I think a decant is all I need. 

In the bottle this is a gorgeous humid white floral with a good dose of sea salt. Fresh and beachy. On my skin it's crisper, brighter. The orange blossom and gardenia are the first things I get. It's softer and sweeter than it had been in the bottle, I think the lotus is giving sweetness with the vanilla and benzoin but I can't pick it out specifically. The salt is much gentler than it had been in the bottle. This is a such a pretty, playful tropical scent!

I tried this last year, but then forgot to review it. So I tested it again.

Mermaid just reads as an aquatic scent to me. I am not able to pick out the notes, which means that the orange blossom is well-behaved here, even though it typically tends to be a bully on me. No floral notes stood out to me in particular; the only note from the note list that stood out to me was the sea salt. :P 

I think it was fun to try this, but I'm not big on aquatics, and this one didn't really change my mind.